Personal Finance

No Statement of contributions after RRSP transfer?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2014 9:35 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 14, 2010
10 posts
Nanaimo

No Statement of contributions after RRSP transfer?

Hello, I've been searching like crazy trying to find an answer to this, but haven't been able to, hoping someone here might be able to help...

I made an RRSP transfer in 2013, from one financial institution to another. Although I made contributions to the RRSP in 2013 up until the transfer, I did not receive a statement from either the sending bank or the receiving one. (Nor did my wife who made a similar transfer).

1) Does anyone know what the reason is for this? Am I correct in assuming that the sending institution did not provide a contribution statement because they have no idea what became of the RRSP after the transfer, and cannot verify if the contributions remained intact to the end of 2013? And then does the receiving institution only see the incoming RRSP as a lump transfer and not a contribution, and therefore does not provide a statement either?

2) How does this affect my tax return for 2013? Do I lose out on the contributions made?

I'm guessing at all this, but would appreciate any insight. Thanks very much!
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5961 posts
2686 upvotes
What happens with the money after the contribution is of no consequence. IOW, transferring the money to another institution is not relevant.

The institution that received the money did so as a transfer. It is not a contribution as far as they are concerned.

The institution where you made the contribution should have issued a receipt for it. Contact them to get it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30056 posts
15889 upvotes
Ottawa
Conquistador wrote:
Apr 30th, 2014 6:53 am
What happens with the money after the contribution is of no consequence. IOW, transferring the money to another institution is not relevant.

The institution that received the money did so as a transfer. It is not a contribution as far as they are concerned.

The institution where you made the contribution should have issued a receipt for it. Contact them to get it.
+1
A transfer generally requires a signature of authorization, at least in my case when transferring from a non-banking institution to a actual bank!

I did a transfer a few years ago and was required to go into the bank to sign paper work and received documents showing the amount of transfer etc...