Fashion & Beauty

NOBIS Barry the 3rd - Ultimate Winter Coat!!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2016 2:07 pm
Sep 9, 2005
758 posts
8 upvotes

NOBIS Barry the 3rd - Ultimate Winter Coat!!!!!

I recently purchased this coat and I just wanted to bestow the virtues of this coat.

I've been repeated told by different salespeople that these jackets are the next big thing. Apparently they are better than Canada Goose, and both Nobis and CG are acknowledged and members of the Canadian Down Industry governing body.

http://www.downmark.com/our_members/manufacturers.htm

The people who put these coat together really put a lot of detail into them and i'm really impressed with the quality of them. They are also very well tailored and fit very nicely. The zipper closure flap is even closed by magnets! Oh and the Jacket is VERY warm.

http://www.fadedsoul.com/designers/nobi ... 3rd-2.html

However, they are not cheap, coming in at around $800 CAD

I highly recommend to those who want a great coat and price is not an option
1185 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2005
5647 posts
119 upvotes
Thank for the info. I tried the cartel on during boxing day. Your right , the detail an material looks and felt soo much better than Canada goose. Coming from someone who got a cg in 2010, i was blown away when I put the jacket on. I guess Nobis is designed more for urban wear. Btw the sales at showroom told me the lead cg designer left and started his own line which is Nobis.
Mar 28, 2010
841 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
Yes I did try on the exact coat, it is extremely warm. But the price point is what turned me away.
Mar 18, 2006
173 posts
12 upvotes
My friend has the bomber style one, jacket looks great. Materials look a lot better than CG and I actually own a merino wool chillwack. I definitely like the design over the chilliwack and the moose knuckle bomber.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21767 posts
4889 upvotes
Toronto
I love magnetic buttons on jackets. The hood is a little weird on these jackets, but aside from that they're great. I tried on another model at Sporting Life and I was really impressed.
Oct 23, 2005
3 posts
1 upvote
I always claimed to be easily prone to getting the winter blues faster than most, due to my equatorial blood and lifestyle but last winter I came into the realization that I've just been buying s#$% jackets. Last winter I reluctantly agreed to go along to a ski trip....bad idea...I relied on my discount bubble jacket+layers to keep me toasty but BAH what a fail. I slipped into a friend's Moose Knuckles jacket as he was boasting of its virtues and being the next better thing than CG, and I was surprised how warm everything the jacket covered kept. It was too late in the season to get Moose Knuckles but this fall 2011 I'm starting early...and investing in one of these Nobis jackets.

I had to search a bit to get size chart. But for those wondering what they'd fit into, click the link below:
I only searched Women's Size Chart, so here you go ladies:
http://www.backcountry.com/store/sizing ... &cat_id=12

Here is the Fall 2011 Collection:
http://www.nobis.ca/F11/1outerwear.html

Here is the list of retailers in Ontario carrying Nobis:
http://www.nobis.ca/nobis/dealer-locato ... tario.html
Oct 27, 2011
116 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
why is it 625 on the nobis online store for a cartel yet ppl say its around 800
Apr 22, 2010
418 posts
31 upvotes
The jackets are probably amazing and warm, but the designs just don't look too attractive; my favorite from their 6 men's style would have to be Kato. And that too with some reluctance as I'd rather not have the faux-fur at all.

Also, who comes up with these names?? Barry, Riley, Ricky Bobby, Barry the 3rd, seriously? :facepalm: The website seemed so serious-looking initially, then the jacket names looked like a joke. Some good marketing and branding could really help this company.

I am curious as to where the jackets are actually made. If they are made in Canada, then the steep price makes sense. If it is made in some developing country, then it's not worth it. Either way, the products look like top quality and could last for a long time.
Oct 26, 2009
425 posts
17 upvotes
Arctan wrote: The jackets are probably amazing and warm, but the designs just don't look too attractive; my favorite from their 6 men's style would have to be Kato. And that too with some reluctance as I'd rather not have the faux-fur at all.

Also, who comes up with these names?? Barry, Riley, Ricky Bobby, Barry the 3rd, seriously? :facepalm: The website seemed so serious-looking initially, then the jacket names looked like a joke. Some good marketing and branding could really help this company.

I am curious as to where the jackets are actually made. If they are made in Canada, then the steep price makes sense. If it is made in some developing country, then it's not worth it. Either way, the products look like top quality and could last for a long time.

They are in fact made in Canada.
Sep 14, 2005
604 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
squintzz wrote: why is it 625 on the nobis online store for a cartel yet ppl say its around 800

Its now $675+tax which makes it close to $800

Anyone interested PM me.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought my Nobis Men's Cartel jacket today in black. Its obviously too warm right now to wear it (although I already see a bunch of people wearing the CG chilliwack bomber already in DT Toronto) but Im now hoping for a good blast of cold weather to try out my jacket.

I got an email from ShowRoom that Nobis jackets are in and I went down to pick one up before they are back ordered for weeks and let me say I am blown away by the quality and the plushness of the jacket. The materials feel very high quality and feels extremely comfortable when wearing it. Its nice and soft and I can tell this is going to keep me really warm... so warm in fact I probably wont layer up when I wear this jacket. Today I tried it on with a t-shirt and was already sweating cuz the jacket HUGS you. Im coming from a 9 year old North Face down jacket so ANYTHING will be better than that (although it served its purpose nicely).

Yes the price is fairly steep at $675 + taxes but this is an investment in comfort. Not to knock the CG jackets, my friends all have them, but its nice to stand out a bit and be a little different. My friends who own CG's tell me that Nobis are known to feel warmer and that they are water repellent unlike CG jackets which cant really stand water or snow.

All in all, Im very happy with my purchase and hopefully this will last me as long as my North Face one did. If you're on the fence about CG or Nobis, my opinion... get the Nobis ;)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8974 posts
2827 upvotes
I have one from last year. GF gave it to me as a christmas present. Was very suprised at the high quality of material used. I dont remember what the jacket was called, but the only problem I had was the hat that was part of the jacket was very crappy. Apperently hat upgrades were avaliavble at the time. I'll check what I got when i get home.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
rotflol wrote: They are in fact made in Canada.

Mine says designed in Canada, Made in China =(=( Bought it from Showroom btw lol
Oct 1, 2010
388 posts
22 upvotes
Or maybe some of the newer models are made in China? It'd make sense to avert or lower production costs..
Not too sure, but the brand is definitely based in Canada. I'd call The Showroom and ask them what's up. If it's still new, just go back and exchange it? I'd want mine to be made in Canada.. :razz:

The Cartel I have is made in Canada..
Oct 26, 2009
425 posts
17 upvotes
Well increasing the price this year, but changing the manufacturer location to China. Doesn't really add up.

Now that you mention it. Theres an increase of sellers who are selling Nobis for like 500-550. Just look up nobis on kijiji.

Perhaps it could be because they found a way to directly purchase it from China manufacturers? instead of off a canadian manufacturer.

I heard a member on rfd, ghostfacechilla sells Nobis, perhaps he could clarify whether the ones he sells are made in Canada.
Nov 7, 2011
773 posts
34 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Yeah, NOBIS isn't bad at all. I like the Audrina jacket, but I ended up getting the CG Loro Piana.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Any updates on where it's made? China or Canada. Also, where is the cheapest place to buy Nobis coats?
Oct 26, 2009
425 posts
17 upvotes
I quote from their facebook

Hey ! We are a completely different company than "you know who" haha :) . We currently have a blended production which means some of our jackets are manufactured in Canada and some in Asia. Many people have a misconception when they hear 'Asian Production" but let me assure you that since we are manufacturing in Asia this allows are jackets to be more technically sound than any other outerwear company out there! The factory we make our jackets at is top notch! :)

they were referring to you know who from Canada Goose btw.

I'm also selling a small grey nobis cartel bnwt, if anyones interested
Jun 19, 2005
786 posts
17 upvotes
whats the sizing like on the Barry compared to Canada Goose Chilliwack or Expedition?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)