Off Topic Archive

Locked: noisy neighbours -- who/which to call? laws to follow?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2007 7:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
8356 posts
372 upvotes
Mississauga

noisy neighbours -- who/which to call? laws to follow?

noisy neighbours suck.

i was wondering if there is a dedicated # to call regarding filing a complaint.

i heard by law they cant make noise past 12AM?

If anyone can let me know more about this, it'll be great...in brampton btw
Share:
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
1778 posts
you can call the local authority,
and it is by law that noise level should be reduce after 11pm and before 8am in toronto
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Look up "Brampton bylaw"
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
In Toronto, the law is that if you are disturbed by noise you can file a noise complaint with the police. It does not matter what time it occurs. I know, I've asked about this to the police dispatch.

Here's how I handle neighbours who refuse to turn down their music; I call the cops, I call my landlord and I document everything.
It's called "Google", use it before wasting my time. ;)

And yet another blog.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6614 posts
223 upvotes
til 10 pm they are in the clear I believe. CAll your local non emergency number and file a complaint. About all you can do.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
May 18, 2006
723 posts
7 upvotes
IronMac wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 5:39 am
In Toronto, the law is that if you are disturbed by noise you can file a noise complaint with the police. It does not matter what time it occurs. I know, I've asked about this to the police dispatch.

Here's how I handle neighbours who refuse to turn down their music; I call the cops, I call my landlord and I document everything.
i believe this is correct, as ive had cops come to my door during the middle of the day when i used to work from home (loud music makes me work better).
Banned
Dec 15, 2005
2286 posts
radeonboy wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 12:49 am
noisy neighbours suck.

Just be careful though... if those neighbours are a group of youngins... don't be surprised if you get egged or worse...
Apr 25, 2006
197 posts
Stunt_101 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 12:55 am
you can call the local authority,
and it is by law that noise level should be reduce after 11pm and before 8am in toronto
I'm wondering if this applies to construction sites. A condo is being built across my building, they start drilling at 6am, and the noise levels get pretty high.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2006
2880 posts
Did you talk with your neighbours first?? Request them kindly first. Then think about laws
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6614 posts
223 upvotes
ear plugs work too
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
8356 posts
372 upvotes
Mississauga
GangStarr wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 10:43 am
ear plugs work too
not when they are in front of your home playing their darn loud rap music, dancing around, walking around like drunk....biggest thing is that it wakes up my guard dog...because the person is close to our property...

they won't know its us...other people don't like it as well...it happens everyday...this neighbour isn't considerate.

1. none of them can drive. the women knocked and said if we parked our own cars in front of our own home, and if she hits it, she won't pay for anything...WTF she would never get away with it.

2. no regards for ppl properties...they rented a uhaul for some reason and then decided to climb our curb and then run over a good chunk of our lawn...my dad got pissed and said WTF are you doing, you cant do that...

3. cops have been to their hope some times....

4. they just suck. the boys think their gangsta with their rap music, and the parents don't do anything to stop them...i dont know if they are nocturnal but seems like they always stay up wayy too late...it's like they never sleep lol
Banned
Jun 28, 2007
828 posts
Ottawa
radeonboy wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 11:23 am
not when they are in front of your home playing their darn loud rap music, dancing around, walking around like drunk....biggest thing is that it wakes up my guard dog...because the person is close to our property...

they won't know its us...other people don't like it as well...it happens everyday...those neighbours just suck period.

1. none of them can drive. the women knocked and said if we parked our own cars in front of our own home, and if she hates it, she won't pay for anything...WTF she would never get away with it.

2. no regards for ppl properties...they rented a uhaul for some reason and then decided to climb our curb and then run over a good chunk of our lawn...my dad got pissed and said WTF are you doing, you cant do that...

3. cops have been to their hope some times....

4. they just suck. the boys think their gangsta with their rap music, and the parents don't do anything to stop them...i dont know if they are nocturnal but seems like they always stay up wayy too late..

I was on your side untill you started to pick on them.In terms of there taste of music and saying they stay up to late.I am up till 1 am almost every nights its my right much like your neighbours.So what if they don't drive what does that have to do with this.
Mar 5, 2007
614 posts
radeonboy wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 12:49 am
noisy neighbours suck.

Don't worry. Winter season will be here soon. Peace and quiet. Or turn on the air conditioning + close windows.

Yes, I also heard rumors that you can file a complaint after 12AM. It could stop the noise level temporarily, but not in the long term.

No, neighbors don't suck. Summer season suck because everyone is excited because of the warm weather. Btw, my street used to be noisy when i was a little kid. Everyone grew up in my neighborhood and it's been quiet for years.
May 18, 2006
723 posts
7 upvotes
MS_Project wrote:
Jul 5th, 2007 12:19 pm
Don't worry. Winter season will be here soon. Peace and quiet. Or turn on the air conditioning + close windows.

Yes, I also heard rumors that you can file a complaint after 12AM. It could stop the noise level temporarily, but not in the long term.

No, neighbors don't suck. Summer season suck because everyone is excited because of the warm weather. Btw, my street used to be noisy when i was a little kid. Everyone grew up in my neighborhood and it's been quiet for years.
same with my old neighborhood, it was so active growing up but then everyone moved away and all the houses got bought by quiet asian families, now its a ghost town and the only activity is parents taking their kids to kumon math classes
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3055 posts
31 upvotes
brampton by-law is your best bet .. and if that doesn't work, call Peel Regional Police (the non-emergency #).
My Heatware: 100% positive
× < >