Cell Phones

Nokia Lumia 920, 820, and 620 Windows Phone 8

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2013 9:36 am
Sep 7, 2011
76 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my phone yesterday, any website for screen protector / case ?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11099 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
lochunwa wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 10:59 pm
Thanks mate, but ~$9 is too expensive for me. Finally bought 2 off from ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-Nokia-Lumia-9 ... 632wt_1139

I will do some review once I got them
Yes, the Xtremeguards may be pricey but they ship quickly. If you purchase 3 skins, you can use 80off3 as a coupon to get 80% off your purchase + shipping. I purchased 3 skins (front and back) for an iPhone and it came to less than $10 shipped.
Apr 13, 2012
333 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
hey all

so i played around with the 920 at the new microsoft store in yorkdale mall today, and i have to say i'm sold...i've been off-contract with rogers and have been looking for an upgrade for over a year now (and it's pretty shameful to even tell you what phone i'm using now) so i'm pretty picky about which phone i want next and it was similar with the 920...first thing was the weight, and after being able to hold one without the security cable attached, i think the weight issue is completely overblown...the second thing was only having black available, but while playing around with the phone the colour became pretty much a non-issue and i think i'd rather have the phone asap in black instead of waiting a couple months for the other colours to show up (if at all)...

anyway i think i'm set on purchasing this, but i have a couple more questions to ask first before plunging and i hope you'll be able to help out...please bear with me as the last smartphone i owned was the nokia n95 so i'm not exactly well-versed when it comes to the smartphones of today...here goes...

1. does nokia music work in canada, or will it work eventually in canada?
2. i'm considering a 1-yr subscription to xbox music - am i right in assuming this takes up data? for those who have xbox music, how are you liking it so far? how is the artist/music selection?
3. i'm planning on purchasing a surface pro when it hits and installing itunes and uploading all my music there...is it easy and convenient to transfer songs from itunes onto the 920?
4. the plan i'm going with on rogers includes 3BG sharable data ($75)...will i be able to tether from the 920 to the surface pro?
5. at the store, i was downloading certain apps and putting them as live tiles on the start screen...but i noticed a couple of them weren't really updating the tiles at all, and were just stuck as the tile logo..i'm specifically talking about espn and cnn...i thought these were actually "live" tiles that updated every few minutes or so? i even tried changing the tile sizes and nothing was happening...
6. am i able to take a photo and have it as my lock screen picture?
7. i have two email accounts, hotmail and gmail....will i be able to have both accounts on my 920 as separate live tiles?
8. about skydrive...my current pc uses office 2003 so will i be able to type up documents and put them on skydrive, and have them appear on my 920 as is? and will i be able to access those documents on my surface pro when i buy it next year?
9. i also have several photos on my current pc that i'd like to transfer over to my 920 (taken with a digital camera)...is this possible? if so, will the picture quality be compromised?
10. on IE10 will i be able to set bookmarks? what about multiple windows?

i probably have more questions, but these are all i have for now....thanks for any help!
Sep 28, 2008
556 posts
43 upvotes
rapsfan50 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 11:43 am
hey all

so i played around with the 920 at the new microsoft store in yorkdale mall today, and i have to say i'm sold...i've been off-contract with rogers and have been looking for an upgrade for over a year now (and it's pretty shameful to even tell you what phone i'm using now) so i'm pretty picky about which phone i want next and it was similar with the 920...first thing was the weight, and after being able to hold one without the security cable attached, i think the weight issue is completely overblown...the second thing was only having black available, but while playing around with the phone the colour became pretty much a non-issue and i think i'd rather have the phone asap in black instead of waiting a couple months for the other colours to show up (if at all)...

anyway i think i'm set on purchasing this, but i have a couple more questions to ask first before plunging and i hope you'll be able to help out...please bear with me as the last smartphone i owned was the nokia n95 so i'm not exactly well-versed when it comes to the smartphones of today...here goes...

Not sure yet, but I am 70% it will.

2. i'm considering a 1-yr subscription to xbox music - am i right in assuming this takes up data? for those who have xbox music, how are you liking it so far? how is the artist/music selection?
Have had it since the day it became available in Canada, and love it. For some, it might not make sense from a cost perspective, but I like being able to download whatever I want, whenever I want, and not have to worry about spending $30 before you even realize it. It took a bit for my wife to get used to having it instead of iTunes, but she loves it now too. The selection is probably a B or B+; for most stuff I look for, there is no issues, but I do find it frustrating when I want a song and it's not available. It does have a playlist feature though that I really like; you click on the playlist (for example, a Top 100 playlist) and you can download it, which is super simple for BBQ's and whatnot. TL;DR Yes, I recommend it.

3. i'm planning on purchasing a surface pro when it hits and installing itunes and uploading all my music there...is it easy and convenient to transfer songs from itunes onto the 920?
Yes, Microsoft has made it simple, they made a point of wanting it to play nice, and you shouldn't have any issues.

4. the plan i'm going with on rogers includes 3BG sharable data ($75)...will i be able to tether from the 920 to the surface pro?
Yes

5. at the store, i was downloading certain apps and putting them as live tiles on the start screen...but i noticed a couple of them weren't really updating the tiles at all, and were just stuck as the tile logo..i'm specifically talking about espn and cnn...i thought these were actually "live" tiles that updated every few minutes or so? i even tried changing the tile sizes and nothing was happening...
All apps can have a live tile, but it is up to the app developer to create a live tile. Some apps just don't make sense to have a live tile for though (for example, maybe a unit conversion app). Although some devs have really caught on to the idea, a lot are still learning to properly use this feature. In regards to ESPN, and my memory might be off here, but I *believe* it's live tile became functional once you went into the app settings and set your fave sports/teams, etc. Then the live tile would display the next game, display the live score during games and other things. As Windows 8 & Windows 8 RT catch on, live tiles will come to the forefront (I believe) and we will see the vast majority of Windows Phone 8 apps utilize them.

Absolutely. Yesterday I had an eye exam, and they showed me the pics of my eyeball under microscope. I asked if they could email it to me, and before I left the clinic, my eyeball was my lockscreen :)

7. i have two email accounts, hotmail and gmail....will i be able to have both accounts on my 920 as separate live tiles?
Yes, and you can set different sync settings (among other things) for each one as well.

8. about skydrive...my current pc uses office 2003 so will i be able to type up documents and put them on skydrive, and have them appear on my 920 as is? and will i be able to access those documents on my surface pro when i buy it next year?
Yes, I love Skydrive and use it daily. We have set up family budgets using excel, which is accessible and completely editable from all our Windows devices. One of my favorite features for sure.

9. i also have several photos on my current pc that i'd like to transfer over to my 920 (taken with a digital camera)...is this possible? if so, will the picture quality be compromised?
Yes, also very easy. Unsure about the quality compromising, although I do know that with Skydrive when upload pics (either via your phone or PC) you can dictate I you want it compressed or to maintain the original quality.

Yes, although they call them "favorites". RE: multiple windows, you can open up to 6 tabs in internet explorer.

i probably have more questions, but these are all i have for now....thanks for any help!
It was easier to bold my responses than to chop it all up, good luck!
Apr 13, 2012
333 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
bigEfromGP wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 1:14 pm
thanks a lot for the reply! i'll go back to the microsoft store later today and play with the phone some more, and i might just walk out of there with a shiny new 920...
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
16873 posts
125 upvotes
YVR
bigEfromGP wrote:
Do you know if Xbox Music have any Chinese music selection or it's all Western music?

Does Windows Phone 8 have a photo app which shows the location of where your photos are taken? I can't believe iOS is the only operating system to have a pre-installed photo app that does that. I see no evidence that MS have created such an app, but it would be great if you can verify this for me.

Does Mobile IE10 sync with the desktop to get urls, passwords, and favourites?

How well integrated is Windows Phone 8 with Windows 8?
Oct 12, 2011
280 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
rapsfan50 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 11:43 am
hey all

I also wanted to add, who'll provide the OS update/upgrade, MS or Nokia? How long (years/months) do they follow-up with OS update (or even upgrade) before it's end-of-life for the device? Coming from Android environment, only offical Google branded phones gets update even it's over 1 yr while other phone manufactures don't care anymore once it's released (yes, the S3 got 4.1 but 4.1 came out long time ago and 4.2 was just released). To me, OS update/upgrade support is important.

Edit: I wasn't able to grab a Nexus 4 and had been without an smartphone for over a few months now and can see the Nexus 4 will be hot cake at lease for a few more months to come...,Might have to consider other vendors.

Thanks
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
16873 posts
125 upvotes
YVR
AforApple wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 8:21 pm
I also wanted to add, who'll provide the OS update/upgrade, MS or Nokia? How long (years/months) do they follow-up with OS update (or even upgrade) before it's end-of-life for the device? Coming from Android environment, only offical Google branded phones gets update even it's over 1 yr while other phone manufactures don't care anymore once it's released (yes, the S3 got 4.1 but 4.1 came out long time ago and 4.2 was just released). To me, OS update/upgrade support is important.

Edit: I wasn't able to grab a Nexus 4 and had been without an smartphone for over a few months now and can see the Nexus 4 will be hot cake at lease for a few more months to come...,Might have to consider other vendors.

Thanks
That's why I would never buy any Android phones other than the Nexus phones from Google. I love the hardware designs of HTC's Android phones, but HTC, Samsung, and others have a very poor history of updating their phones. It also takes them forever to update their phones thanks to their custom skins.
Apr 13, 2012
333 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
bigEfromGP wrote:
Have had it since the day it became available in Canada, and love it. For some, it might not make sense from a cost perspective, but I like being able to download whatever I want, whenever I want, and not have to worry about spending $30 before you even realize it. It took a bit for my wife to get used to having it instead of iTunes, but she loves it now too. The selection is probably a B or B+; for most stuff I look for, there is no issues, but I do find it frustrating when I want a song and it's not available. It does have a playlist feature though that I really like; you click on the playlist (for example, a Top 100 playlist) and you can download it, which is super simple for BBQ's and whatnot. TL;DR Yes, I recommend it.
just wanted to touch on this...i listen to a wide variety of music nowadays so i was checking out the selection at the xbox music store, and they had pretty much everything i was looking for...i'm in the same situation as you where i'd be bankrupt pretty quickly if i thought about purchasing every single song i'm interested in and so $100 for unlimited streaming sounds like a pretty decent deal to me...i'll be subscribing in a couple days...
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1452 posts
131 upvotes
rapsfan50 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 2:49 pm
thanks a lot for the reply! i'll go back to the microsoft store later today and play with the phone some more, and i might just walk out of there with a shiny new 920...
did they have colours other than black?
Apr 13, 2012
333 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
mathewvc wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:12 pm
did they have colours other than black?
no they didn't...they said they'd get more colours in eventually, but who knows when...

i used to be part of the crowd that wanted another colour other than black (my post history proves this)...cyan and gray were my first two choices, but playing with the matte black 920 at the microsoft store pretty much converted me, and it really doesn't look that bad at all...and personally i think having a different colour might have made the phone a little too "flashy" for my liking...plus looking back now, i probably would have preferred a darker shade of blue or gray for me to get them (similar to the blue on the htc 8x)...the live tiles themselves are the right amount of colour for me and i can change the theme color whenever i feel like it...overall i'm quite pleased with my phone and am glad i'm not waiting in limbo for the other colours to arrive...
Oct 12, 2011
280 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
rapsfan50 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:32 pm
no they didn't...they said they'd get more colours in eventually, but who knows when...

i used to be part of the crowd that wanted another colour other than black (my post history proves this)...cyan and gray were my first two choices, but playing with the matte black 920 at the microsoft store pretty much converted me, and it really doesn't look that bad at all...and personally i think having a different colour might have made the phone a little too "flashy" for my liking...plus looking back now, i probably would have preferred a darker shade of blue or gray for me to get them (similar to the blue on the htc 8x)...the live tiles themselves are the right amount of colour for me and i can change the theme color whenever i feel like it...overall i'm quite pleased with my phone and am glad i'm not waiting in limbo for the other colours to arrive...
Was your's unlocked or locked? Do you know how much is it out-right purchase? AT&T is selling it for 449$ outright but I don't know how are the unlocking process works; whether it's like iPhone where it's only possible to unlock by the carrier or just simply buy an unlock code off ebay.
Apr 13, 2012
333 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
AforApple wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:39 pm
Was your's unlocked or locked? Do you know how much is it out-right purchase? AT&T is selling it for 449$ outright but I don't know how are the unlocking process works; whether it's like iPhone where it's only possible to unlock by the carrier or just simply buy an unlock code off ebay.
mine was locked to rogers, and i have no idea how much the outright purchase is...i'll admit that i was your position just a few days ago and decided to just bite the bullet and sign up for another 3 years, and just call retentions shortly after to try to renegotiate...i've been with rogers for 5 years now so hopefully they'll cut me a deal somewhere...
× < >