Cell Phones

Nokia Lumia 920, 820, and 620 Windows Phone 8

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2013 9:36 am
Member
User avatar
Jul 28, 2009
447 posts
25 upvotes
Nokia 920 looks pretty damn good. Nice specs and nice design. Looking forward to seeing what Apple brings to the table.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
16876 posts
126 upvotes
YVR
LeeBear wrote:
Sep 5th, 2012 3:42 pm
I was really considering the Nokia 920 as my next phone but I can't believe they didn't put a microSD slot on there flagship phone but put one on the 820. That's a major fail on Nokia's part and as the HTC One X vs Samsung S3 has shown the lack of expandable storage is often a major deciding factor in choosing one phone over the other. Pretty disappointing.

-LeeBear
I totally agree with you. I actually prefer the Nokia 820 to the 920 because it have removable storage and battery. The 820 seems superior to the 920 in so many ways, but yet it have a pretty bad screen. Nokia should have given the 920 removable storage and a removable battery. I just don't understand the logic there.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
16876 posts
126 upvotes
YVR
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Sep 5th, 2012 9:37 pm
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/329438 ... lease-date

I agree 100%. Really a dumb move on MS's and Nokia's part. No carrier info, no pricing, and no release date. If they are waiting for the new Iphone to be released to judge pricing, they are stupid. They know (roughly) what Apple's pricing will be. It will be premium.

I was actually seriously considering buying Nokia stock today (even with the fall). Not only because of the critical acclaim of the hardware and software, but because I think it looks good.

If they had this phone up for pre-order TODAY with the announcement, I (along with many others no doubt) would have pre-purchased. Look at the Nexus 7 for crying out loud and the pre-orders surrounding that announcement.

If they don't release this phone within the next month or so, it will fail to the Iphone upgraders and the "I'll wait for the Nexus announcement first" crowd.
I agree, it's really dumb. Nokia should have announced a definitive release date. There's no point announcing a new product without letting people know when it'll be released. It can causes waiting fatigue. Nokia needs to learn more from Apple on how to do a proper product launch.

From what I read, it's not likely the new Lumia phones will be released in North America this year. For some bizarre reason, Nokia is still targeting the Eurasian markets first. I just don't understand Nokia. They keep on stating that the North American market is very important to them and yet they're not aggressively targeting it. Announcing the new phones in New York City, but vaguely stating that it'll be released in select markets in Q4 doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 23, 2007
8852 posts
298 upvotes
Mississauga
sixteen12 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2012 8:10 pm
Not filmed with a 920 http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/09/05/nokia ... ew-camera/

However, it is quite impressive tech, i'll be interested to see it in action. I like my friend Nokia 900.
LOL I knew that video was too good to be true!!!

But i am also looking to drop my S3 for something fresh and new!
Nokia is coming back strong!

I just want wait to see what HTC brings to the table in ways of WP8 devices!

BTW for those who care this is a true example of the OIS on the device
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HSbhyaH0vw
RFD 33-0-0
Ebay 18-0-0

|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2010
2388 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
liking the 820 better as well
Free: 1. ShawDirect receivers
Looking for: 1. Cheapo 3/4g tablet
For Sale: 1. Thomson DCM476 Cable Modem
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 16, 2003
9964 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
too bad this will be late to the party and probably overpriced.. nokia/ms haven;t been willing to flood the market with cheap WM phones
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Hopefully it gets cheaper after a couple of weeks through rfd/kijiji though. If this was released in the next couple of weeks it definitely would as people would be clamoring for their new iPhones and the nexus :P
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2008
556 posts
43 upvotes
TheRed wrote:
Sep 5th, 2012 7:36 pm
There's a certain degree to it when a stock fell. The reason behind Apple's fell during announcement day is due to profit taking. Nokia on the other hand fell sharply due to cloudy future outlook of the company.
I would like to throw another option out there:

Nokia experienced a bit of a run up in the month and a half or so prior, so I belief that perhaps there was a decent number of investors loading up in anticipation of the big press conference for WP8 & Nokia, but unfortunately they all jumped out at the same time (first thing in the morning, before the confernce had even began, as NOK was down 5%) and that carried some momentum. Obviously this wouldn't account for all the losses, but perhaps played a factor. NOK's gains in the following 2 days would support this as well perhaps.
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2008
556 posts
43 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Sep 6th, 2012 10:07 am
too bad this will be late to the party and probably overpriced.. nokia/ms haven;t been willing to flood the market with cheap WM phones
I disagree with this; Nokia was giving away tons of phones in major markets with the whole "smoked by a windows phone" campaign; when they launched the 900 with the wifi connectivity issue, they offered a $100 rebate which effectively made the phone free on any 3 year plan (canada) or 2 year plan (the US and the rest of the world and basically any place other than canada where the cell providers rape their customers collectively).

But I do agree that Nokia & MS have a struggle ahead of them; marketing wise, they suck. With Nokia on board it has gotten better (this past week's issues excused) but they are still far from Apple in that respect. I think an EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY aggressive pricing campaign by MS can change everything though. I would subsidize the cell phone builders (HTC, Sammy, Asus, Nokia, etc) as much as possible, and make it so that a person buying a cell phone literally can't afford NOT TO buy a windows phone. Focus on market share, and marketplace. MS has the money to take huge losses on every unit sold, and make it up on the software, accessories, subscriptions, etc, until it is a profitable business unit. Boy, does that ever sound like a familiar tactic? *cough* *xbox*

And for those that care, I am very pro MS. I have only used MS smartphones since the old WinMo 3.xx days, and will continue to do so (currently a HTC HD7, only because I wanted to wait to see what Nokia brought for WP8.) I am going to get a 920 unless HTC has a slider with a 4.3-4.7" screen and dual core (which i doubt unfortunately).
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
What MS needs to do is call hardware makers to make cheap devices, without necessarily sacrificing quality and performance, and flood the market. Closest example being the Lumia 710 and it's price point.

I'm sure there are others like me that won't invest $400+ or even a 3 year contract for a WP at this moment because it's still a relatively unknown territory for consumers. Don't get me wrong in saying WP is a bad OS, it's just not an OS that I want to be stuck with and regret for whichever long contract or outright $ I spent.

As the above poster said, they need to make the devices cheap enough that you can't go wrong and the next closest competitor device being a large enough $ gap to dissuade the customer.
Sr. Member
Jul 13, 2009
921 posts
57 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Sep 6th, 2012 2:01 am
I totally agree with you. I actually prefer the Nokia 820 to the 920 because it have removable storage and battery. The 820 seems superior to the 920 in so many ways, but yet it have a pretty bad screen. Nokia should have given the 920 removable storage and a removable battery. I just don't understand the logic there.
Sales figures show that consumers don't care about either removable storage or removable batteries.
bigEfromGP wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 12:23 am
But I do agree that Nokia & MS have a struggle ahead of them; marketing wise, they suck. With Nokia on board it has gotten better (this past week's issues excused) but they are still far from Apple in that respect. I think an EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY aggressive pricing campaign by MS can change everything though. I would subsidize the cell phone builders (HTC, Sammy, Asus, Nokia, etc) as much as possible, and make it so that a person buying a cell phone literally can't afford NOT TO buy a windows phone. Focus on market share, and marketplace. MS has the money to take huge losses on every unit sold, and make it up on the software, accessories, subscriptions, etc, until it is a profitable business unit. Boy, does that ever sound like a familiar tactic? *cough* *xbox*
Tough to convince shareholders that that's a good move.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2736 posts
93 upvotes
Agreed, Microsoft knows better than anyone that you need to bleed money to make money when you're late to the market...
It's hard to not think they will catch up seeing what they did with the xbox, that and the integration effort they are undertaking with windows phone 8, xbox, windows 8 is gargantuan, if it works, Nokia will certainly be seeing glorious days again...

In fact I hope Microsoft starts a surface line of windows phones...
I'm down for a 920, now to get the color right :cheesygri
bigEfromGP wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 12:23 am

But I do agree that Nokia & MS have a struggle ahead of them; marketing wise, they suck. With Nokia on board it has gotten better (this past week's issues excused) but they are still far from Apple in that respect. I think an EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY aggressive pricing campaign by MS can change everything though. I would subsidize the cell phone builders (HTC, Sammy, Asus, Nokia, etc) as much as possible, and make it so that a person buying a cell phone literally can't afford NOT TO buy a windows phone. Focus on market share, and marketplace. MS has the money to take huge losses on every unit sold, and make it up on the software, accessories, subscriptions, etc, until it is a profitable business unit. Boy, does that ever sound like a familiar tactic? *cough* *xbox*
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 21, 2009
1892 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Cress wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 2:45 pm
Agreed, Microsoft knows better than anyone that you need to bleed money to make money when you're late to the market...
It's hard to not think they will catch up seeing what they did with the xbox, that and the integration effort they are undertaking with windows phone 8, xbox, windows 8 is gargantuan, if it works, Nokia will certainly be seeing glorious days again...

In fact I hope Microsoft starts a surface line of windows phones...
I'm down for a 920, now to get the color right :cheesygri
Microsoft doesn't decide on the MSRP of OEM's phones, the best they can do is reduce the cost of licensing the OS.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2736 posts
93 upvotes
While I agree that Microsoft does not decide msrp of oems, Microsoft certainly influences it... there's a reason why Nokia was able to bring the Lumia 900 to market at 99$ and actually 0$ for early adopters that had the data issue... like the 250Millions Microsoft gracefully shared to help onboard Nokia with Windows phone.
A similar thing can be said about the 300+ Millions Intel is investing to help OEMs bring Ultrabooks to market at a price they see as competitive to the macbook air...
DJ Dennis wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 4:07 pm
Microsoft doesn't decide on the MSRP of OEM's phones, the best they can do is reduce the cost of licensing the OS.
× < >

Top