• Jul 31st, 2014 5:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 12, 2006
375 posts

Nokia Lumia 920 unlock

Hi

Can the lumia 920 be unlocked from Rogers? I'm currently on the bell network. I've asked around and I'm getting conflicting answers.

Thanks
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6906 posts
683 upvotes
Ontario
stronghold wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 10:25 am
Hi

Can the lumia 920 be unlocked from Rogers? I'm currently on the bell network. I've asked around and I'm getting conflicting answers.

Thanks
Yes, the Lumia 920 can be unlocked by Rogers if you purchase the one locked to Rogers (eg, not the AT&T version). And so far, online unlocking websites have been unsuccessful, but Rogers will gladly do it for $50 + tax.

edit: also, I think rogers will not unlock it if you sign up with a contract. So, you'd have to buy outright and then pay additional $50 ($600 + $50). Alternatively, you can buy it at $550 and sign up month to month and cancel right away. Slightly less than the former.

I was going to get this phone today but Rogers really pissed me off and I didn't want to reward Nokia for a dumbass business move.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2296 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
I believe CellUnlocker sells the unlock code this device for $15...
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6906 posts
683 upvotes
Ontario
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 6:05 pm
I believe CellUnlocker sells the unlock code this device for $15...
Yes, that's what they advertise. But I have been following this at WP Central and others, and you will only be refunded your money. They cannot unlock yet, and worst case scenario, it could be months away. Best case, weeks. Or you can have Rogers do it for 50
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2296 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Ah thanks for the heads up. I bought a Lumia 920 from Rogers yesterday to try as well...Was thinking about unlocking it but I might be returning the phone as the apps I needed aren't available :(
Sep 28, 2008
556 posts
43 upvotes
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 6:24 pm
Ah thanks for the heads up. I bought a Lumia 920 from Rogers yesterday to try as well...Was thinking about unlocking it but I might be returning the phone as the apps I needed aren't available :(
Which apps in particular?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2296 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
I need Whatsapp and Tango; really do hope they will soon be available...Anyway, I do love the feel of the Lumia 920. I have already returned a 920 few weeks ago but decided to give it another try now...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6906 posts
683 upvotes
Ontario
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 6:24 pm
I too am very tempted to pull the trigger on WP8, but I have been gun shy. I probably would have already jumped in if I could get the 920 on Bell subsidized. I'm sure the WP8 ecosystem will continue to improve, and Whatsapp is conceivably days away from being available on WP8, and I suppose that is the price of early adoption.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2296 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
So I wrote CellUnlocker and inquired about unlocking Rogers Nokia Lumia 920; he indicated that he could unlock it but the database is being updated. He didn't quote me how long it would take to get a code.
Sep 28, 2008
556 posts
43 upvotes
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 6:29 pm
I need Whatsapp and Tango; really do hope they will soon be available...Anyway, I do love the feel of the Lumia 920. I have already returned a 920 few weeks ago but decided to give it another try now...
Well that is odd.....
It used to be available (WhatsApp) and I can still find it here http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store ... 4cf4569a79 but when I search using the Store app on my 920, can't find it.... odd
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6906 posts
683 upvotes
Ontario
bigEfromGP wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 2:39 pm
Well that is odd.....
It used to be available (WhatsApp) and I can still find it here http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store ... 4cf4569a79 but when I search using the Store app on my 920, can't find it.... odd
There was a short time when it was available for WP8 but then it was removed. It will be added again, in time, hopefully sooner than later. However, there were some lucky enough to pick it up before it was removed and they are available to use it on WP8.

From what I read online, and a response from Whatsapp directly, it should be a few weeks max. Sure, not ideal or acceptable IMO, but it is on the way. I don't think it was functioning as intended, so hopefully they will release a well oiled version when ready.
Dec 26, 2006
44 posts
I went to buy one on Friday and they wouldn't sell it to me off contract and then said if I signed up for month-to-month I'd have to wait 30 days before they would unlock it for me. Where are you guys getting them off-contract and what are you saying to Rogers to get it unlocked?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6906 posts
683 upvotes
Ontario
Desiccator wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 12:32 pm
I went to buy one on Friday and they wouldn't sell it to me off contract and then said if I signed up for month-to-month I'd have to wait 30 days before they would unlock it for me. Where are you guys getting them off-contract and what are you saying to Rogers to get it unlocked?
Well, they are either misinformed or lying.
I, and others, have done this just fine. In fact, I just completed this process.

1. You cannot get the Lumia 920 in Canada WITHOUT it being locked to Rogers. Just the way it is. Even if you pay full price, it is still locked to Rogers.

2. You have 2 options to purchase outright, from 2 different locations. If you go to the Microsoft Store, your only option is at the price of $549 and you MUST sign up for at least, the month-to-month plan (so, the cheapest option is the $27 plan). You pick the cheapest plan because you are going to cancel/port immediately. You can also do the same at Rogers, OR, you can get the phone at Rogers for $600 WITHOUT signing up for a month-to-month. So, going the $549 + M2M route saves you about $23

3. I called Rogers the next day (signed up late in evening, I suppose same day would work too) and UNLOCKED the phone. You need to connect with Customer Service or Customer Relations and say you want to unlock the phone. They will transfer you to the unlocking department (do this when you have time, it could be a while).

BTW, before you call to unlock, go and pick up a Micro SIM from the company you intend to use. That way you can enter the PIN on the phone and verify if it works. I picked up one from Virgin Mobile, they are free.

4. After the phone is unlocked, call your provider, activate/port your number, and make sure to add the appropriate APN/MMS settings in the Lumia 920. Other than Internet Sharing, everything should be fully operational.

There is nothing special to say. Just follow the above and you'll be fine.
If you are on month-to-month, you have NO CONTRACT or OBLIGATION to Rogers, and they CANNOT prevent you from unlocking your phone. You DO NOT have to wait until the 30 days are up. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to con an extra month of $$$ out of you. I know, because I had this same argument with a "misinformed" Rogers rep.

Good luck! :)
Feb 6, 2010
6 posts
3 upvotes
4. After the phone is unlocked, call your provider, activate/port your number, and make sure to add the appropriate APN/MMS settings in the Lumia 920. Other than Internet Sharing, everything should be fully operational.
Can Internet sharing be enabled for use on other carriers (Telus for instance) or does unlocking disable it entirely somehow? This is an important feature for me.
× < >