None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6379 posts
625 upvotes
Ontario
Deal McMann wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 12:23 am
Can Internet sharing be enabled for use on other carriers (Telus for instance) or does unlocking disable it entirely somehow? This is an important feature for me.
If Internet Sharing is important to you, I don't believe it works. That is the ONLY feature unable to work at the moment. However, I did read somewhere that if you changed the Telus APN to a different address, the internet sharing works, but then data doesn't - which isn't very convenient.

You need to see what is important to you. For me, I've never used internet sharing so I don't really care if I have that feature.

Although the Lumia 920 is a nice phone, there are other WP8 phones that I'm sure you'd be happy with, that can be purchased TRULY carrier unlocked
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2161 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Just a side note, Whatsapp will be released by the end of this week... :)

By the way, is the Lumia 920 better than the HTC 8x?

.Eric
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1452 posts
131 upvotes
whew thankfully i downloaded whatsapp as soon as i got my phone- i hope they refresh it a bit though- i preferred the iphone version
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6379 posts
625 upvotes
Ontario
mathewvc wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 12:26 am
whew thankfully i downloaded whatsapp as soon as i got my phone- i hope they refresh it a bit though- i preferred the iphone version
It was taken down so it could be retooled to take advantage/run faster/look better/etc? on WP8. Here's hoping it does because that is my most used app.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4103 posts
339 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
onlineharvest wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 3:34 pm
Well, they are either misinformed or lying.
I, and others, have done this just fine. In fact, I just completed this process.

1. You cannot get the Lumia 920 in Canada WITHOUT it being locked to Rogers. Just the way it is. Even if you pay full price, it is still locked to Rogers.

2. You have 2 options to purchase outright, from 2 different locations. If you go to the Microsoft Store, your only option is at the price of $549 and you MUST sign up for at least, the month-to-month plan (so, the cheapest option is the $27 plan). You pick the cheapest plan because you are going to cancel/port immediately. You can also do the same at Rogers, OR, you can get the phone at Rogers for $600 WITHOUT signing up for a month-to-month. So, going the $549 + M2M route saves you about $23

3. I called Rogers the next day (signed up late in evening, I suppose same day would work too) and UNLOCKED the phone. You need to connect with Customer Service or Customer Relations and say you want to unlock the phone. They will transfer you to the unlocking department (do this when you have time, it could be a while).

BTW, before you call to unlock, go and pick up a Micro SIM from the company you intend to use. That way you can enter the PIN on the phone and verify if it works. I picked up one from Virgin Mobile, they are free.

4. After the phone is unlocked, call your provider, activate/port your number, and make sure to add the appropriate APN/MMS settings in the Lumia 920. Other than Internet Sharing, everything should be fully operational.

There is nothing special to say. Just follow the above and you'll be fine.
If you are on month-to-month, you have NO CONTRACT or OBLIGATION to Rogers, and they CANNOT prevent you from unlocking your phone. You DO NOT have to wait until the 30 days are up. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to con an extra month of $$$ out of you. I know, because I had this same argument with a "misinformed" Rogers rep.

Good luck! :)
Was the actual unlocking process with Rogers unlocking department free?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6379 posts
625 upvotes
Ontario
ceraf wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 6:16 pm
Was the actual unlocking process with Rogers unlocking department free?
Nope, $50 plus tax
Dec 5, 2005
332 posts
26 upvotes
I finally got my unlock code from Cellunlocker after a second try for my Lumia 920 and it worked with my Bell sim. It cost me $39.99.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4103 posts
339 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Anyone know of any cheaper options for unlocking other than cellunlocker?
Sep 23, 2006
307 posts
172 upvotes
WhatsApp is available in US store. Not sure about Canada (haven't checked yet) This isnt a problem as you can just switch your region to US on your phone, and then you will be able to access US store and all of the apps there. Not sure when Nokia will block this, but its a good thing to know. Thats how I downloaded Nokia Music and WhatsApp few minutes ago (both free of course).
× < >