• Aug 8th, 2011 8:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 15, 2003
261 posts
3 upvotes

Non-processed Lunch Meats

Anyone know where to buy lunch meats that are not processed or minimally processed? I'm particularly looking for Turkey/Chicken breast slices... It seems like a lot of crap goes into the stuff they sell at the usual grocery chains, would be nice to get some lunch meat that were whole cuts with little added to them...

Anyone have some suggestions? Places in peel region would be great...
28 replies
Mar 30, 2010
739 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
The only way I know is to either buy a chicken and cook it in the oven or to buy a BBQd chicken and use the meat for sliced chicken.

I think the meats are processed so that they'll last longer but you do get 'stuff' in them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
I buy smoked chicken from www.banksausagedeli.com

they are in ottawa and make their own natural smoked chicken.
it comes on the bone like bbq chicken and is so good!

kinda expensive though. they might be ableto do mail orderfor you.

to save money maybe just use homeroasted chicken and cut and put in freezer. take out as needed.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4337 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
I thought that the Lilydale slice turkey breast was minimally processed. They have thicker slices and for 500g its just over 10 bucks but the flavour is explosive. Just be careful if there is a lot of sodium phosphate added than most meats.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2003
261 posts
3 upvotes
i was just thinking i wonder if whole foods in oakville would sell non-processed lunch meats.... seems like something that would be up their alley, i'll have to investigate...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
May 1st, 2010 8:46 pm
I thought that the Lilydale slice turkey breast was minimally processed. They have thicker slices and for 500g its just over 10 bucks but the flavour is explosive. Just be careful if there is a lot of sodium phosphate added than most meats.
Sodium phosphate is a artificial preservative though....and it makes me very itchy too!
I think for smoked chicken I pay 200 grams $8? I forget. nexxt time buying a whole chicken and freezing the meat-much cheaper.
May 20, 2009
478 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I find the best sandwich meats are from Fiesta Farms, Whole Foods and the St. Lawrence Market, all located in Toronto. Fiesta Farms uses chemical free sandwich meat though their deli meats still look like the regular grocery store stuff (ie. a giant ball of ham). The stuff I've got from Whole Foods or the St. Lawrence Market has been chicken or turkey meat cut off of an actual turkey breast... no different than Thanksgiving leftovers.

I'm sure Rowe Farms and the Healthy Butcher sell good quality sandwich meat as well but I've never tried it.

Also, those Lilydale turkey slices are amazing. I bought them once but they're too expensive to buy on a regular basis.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2003
261 posts
3 upvotes
sarnya wrote:
May 2nd, 2010 12:35 pm
I find the best sandwich meats are from Fiesta Farms, Whole Foods and the St. Lawrence Market, all located in Toronto. Fiesta Farms uses chemical free sandwich meat though their deli meats still look like the regular grocery store stuff (ie. a giant ball of ham). The stuff I've got from Whole Foods or the St. Lawrence Market has been chicken or turkey meat cut off of an actual turkey breast... no different than Thanksgiving leftovers.

I'm sure Rowe Farms and the Healthy Butcher sell good quality sandwich meat as well but I've never tried it.

Also, those Lilydale turkey slices are amazing. I bought them once but they're too expensive to buy on a regular basis.
great info i'm definitely going to visit one of those places this week...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16171 posts
3602 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
May 1st, 2010 8:46 pm
Are these the same ones as at 4packofpianos? (Costco)
If so, I personally hated them. They had a funny taste.

As for the OP... I'd just roast a bird. It's MUCH cheaper ($1-2 per lb, compared to $5-40 per lb.) Granted, it's a bit of work, but you get real turkey instead of processed crap.

I roast probably a good 10-20 turkeys a year all brined.
There's barely any labor involved and it doesn't really take much time.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1356 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
May 2nd, 2010 7:37 pm
Are these the same ones as at 4packofpianos? (Costco)
If so, I personally hated them. They had a funny taste.
Costco has a different brand - not very good. The lilydale stuff tastes MUCH better.
Apr 19, 2010
26 posts
Oakville, ON
Sodium phosphate is not a preservative; it is a moisture retainer. Pay for H20.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16171 posts
3602 upvotes
anom wrote:
May 3rd, 2010 12:42 pm
Costco has a different brand - not very good. The lilydale stuff tastes MUCH better.
I thought it was Lilydale.
Anyone have a photo of it?

Next time I'm there I"ll try to snap a discrete photo. They have the house brand turkey slices and the lilydale 2 pack that are more cross cuts.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1441 posts
78 upvotes
i bought a value pack chicken breast when it was on sale at RCSS (came with about 5 large chicken breasts) and i use these for lunch meats now instead of buying processed turkey breast which sometimes costs me more than $7.00 for 250g! which lasts me 3 or 4 days at the most.. i do not know how to cook; all i do is just dump the chicken breasts in a large pot with water and 1 whole onion. i sprinkle some of that garlic salt thingy in my cabinet and just wait till the chicken breast is fully cooked. i have heard boiling is the least attractive way to cook chicken breast but as long as you don't overcook them, they taste totally fine... slice them when they are cooled, smother some cranberry sauce and mayo on rye bread and there's your non-processed lunch meat! i keep the broth and use it for something else later.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
leoben wrote:
May 3rd, 2010 7:05 pm
i bought a value pack chicken breast when it was on sale at RCSS (came with about 5 large chicken breasts) and i use these for lunch meats now instead of buying processed turkey breast which sometimes costs me more than $7.00 for 250g! which lasts me 3 or 4 days at the most.. i do not know how to cook; all i do is just dump the chicken breasts in a large pot with water and 1 whole onion. i sprinkle some of that garlic salt thingy in my cabinet and just wait till the chicken breast is fully cooked. i have heard boiling is the least attractive way to cook chicken breast but as long as you don't overcook them, they taste totally fine... slice them when they are cooled, smother some cranberry sauce and mayo on rye bread and there's your non-processed lunch meat! i keep the broth and use it for something else later.
boiled chicken breast with onion!!!!> :(
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
× < >