• Feb 6th, 2010 5:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
I think the Sticky for the Official Photography FAQ should be bigger in font, or there should be a New to Photography sub-forum.

I can safely say for those who's been around for a long time, answering the same newbie questions again and again can make us all sound like broken records. Also, it will help the newcomers learn quicker instead of sitting around waiting for people to post answers.

OP, some more advice - learn with what you have. Achieving a background blur is not all there is to photography. Anyone and I mean anyone can do that, no - really, they can. Learn the basics like aperture vs. shutter and their relationships with ISO and composition, etc.

A photographer uses what he has to capture his photo, not dream of better equipment because he can't grasp what he has.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
241 posts
12 upvotes
agreed the sticky has its uses, but i do enough reading on the subject via books. the purpose of a forum is to bounce ideas back and forth with people knowledgeable in an area your interested in. that said, if everyone feels the same way i wont be making any more threads of this nature.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
kha_ wrote:
Feb 6th, 2010 12:03 pm
agreed the sticky has its uses, but i do enough reading on the subject via books. the purpose of a forum is to bounce ideas back and forth with people knowledgeable in an area your interested in. that said, if everyone feels the same way i wont be making any more threads of this nature.
I find books to be usually oudated and linear, online resources like this (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm) are more dynamic and up to the minute.

Check that site out, it's a good thorough read.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
241 posts
12 upvotes
will do

i got several midterms next week, so i havent had a chance to do a second attempt with the posted tips, but the girlfriend is down to model for some artistic nudes tonight so im going to try out the b&w setting and maybe attempt a portrait!

other than that i think im leaning towards returning the XSi and finding a used XS somewhere for $250-$300 and getting that 55-200 lens that was mentioned earlier

that or just get a T1i for video

such a hard decision...
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
CSAgent wrote:
Feb 6th, 2010 1:49 pm
I find books to be usually oudated and linear, online resources like this (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm) are more dynamic and up to the minute.

Check that site out, it's a good thorough read.
I'd have to disagree bud. Lighting doesn't fundamentally change overnight. The basic ways people have lit portraits and people hasn't changed much. I have a book just on lighting techniques. Although I don't use that many studio lights anymore the basics allow me to put natural light to the best uses. I would say that books are good, IF you choose the right book.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
sfu_engineer wrote:
Feb 6th, 2010 2:10 pm
I'd have to disagree bud. Lighting doesn't fundamentally change overnight. The basic ways people have lit portraits and people hasn't changed much. I have a book just on lighting techniques. Although I don't use that many studio lights anymore the basics allow me to put natural light to the best uses. I would say that books are good, IF you choose the right book.
Well what I mean most books are, the ones at my local library deals with 35mm more than digital. The prints for digital resources at my library is reference and not for borrowing. That's what I meant. I don't disagree that lighting stays the same fundamentally though, just the tools we have now to use it are a lot different than back then.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
CSAgent wrote:
Feb 6th, 2010 3:10 pm
Well what I mean most books are, the ones at my local library deals with 35mm more than digital. The prints for digital resources at my library is reference and not for borrowing. That's what I meant. I don't disagree that lighting stays the same fundamentally though, just the tools we have now to use it are a lot different than back then.
Well... light is light. Whether it comes from a flashlight, studio flash, speedlight, or window. :P

Even digital SLR equipment is the same as film SLRs. A 50mm lens on a film body still shows the same field of view and compression as a 50mm lens used on a digital full frame body. How you'd use that lens in the past for a portrait is still the same as how you'd use it today. Sure we have all these fancy buttons and settings but that's what our Instruction Manuals are for and we don't need books on "How to use a Canon 5D".

Even post processing is very similar as we still dodge and burn images, change exposure, and contrast in the same ways that can be done in film labs on old images.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5864 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Save your money. Go for an XS, or even the XTi.

Don't go for the T1i. You don't need video. Photography is photography.
I suggest you start small and learn what you want to do first.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive