Art and Photography

Noob Question, What DSLR Camera to buy for a rookie?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2009 1:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 17, 2008
521 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, Ontario

Noob Question, What DSLR Camera to buy for a rookie?

I've currently got an Olympus Fe220 point and shoot and want to upgrade to a Nikon or Canon DSLR camera. I just don't know what's a good basic Camera to start off with since I will be new to the DSLR world? Any Advice?

Thanks

N1Hawk
Winners in 2009
May 3, 2009 - Bruce Springsteen Tickets Sept 1, 2009 - Maple Leaf Pre-Season Tickets
32 replies
Member
Jul 1, 2009
342 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
There is little difference between the two. You are best going into a store and trying them both out and seeing which feels better. Depending on how much you have to spend, if it is your first dSLR I would be included o recommend you don't get the kit lens, and get a 50mm 1.8. It will teach you much more about composition and framing than a zoom will because it forces you to be creative and move your feet.

It also depends on how serious you intend to take it. If you go Canon and feel it might become a serious hobby and you will possibly go full frame, then try and avoid EF-S Lenses. You can always sell them later, but easier if you don't have to.

I prefer Canon because i think there are more lens options available, but it is all about what feels right at the end of the day.
Sr. Member
Oct 11, 2006
969 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Mprezd wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 2:55 am
There is little difference between the two. You are best going into a store and trying them both out and seeing which feels better. Depending on how much you have to spend, if it is your first dSLR I would be included o recommend you don't get the kit lens, and get a 50mm 1.8. It will teach you much more about composition and framing than a zoom will because it forces you to be creative and move your feet.

It also depends on how serious you intend to take it. If you go Canon and feel it might become a serious hobby and you will possibly go full frame, then try and avoid EF-S Lenses. You can always sell them later, but easier if you don't have to.

I prefer Canon because i think there are more lens options available, but it is all about what feels right at the end of the day.
I doubt 50mm on a crop camera for general purpose. Maybe a 35mm?

I would actually suggest to get the kit lens, and my reasons:

- cheap
- decent quality
- realize the limitation and discover which type of photography he would have interest in

I am not saying 50mm is a bad choice, in fact it is a good addition along with the kit. however it is not very versatile on a crop body by itself, IMHO... of course if it is for FF or film, it would be a completely different story

Canon and Nikon are good if you want a wide selection of pre-owned glasses at a reasonable price

To OP,
give us a budget will be easier for us to give suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
Yea, I disagree with foregoing a kit lens for a prime... a prime is great for sure but you lose a lot of versatility that the kit lens provides, especially for someone who is new to DSLRs and learning.

Also kit lens are generally not that expensive if you buy the kit + body.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Member
Jul 1, 2009
342 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
kennyluo wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 7:50 am
I doubt 50mm on a crop camera for general purpose. Maybe a 35mm?

I would actually suggest to get the kit lens, and my reasons:

- cheap
- decent quality
- realize the limitation and discover which type of photography he would have interest in

I am not saying 50mm is a bad choice, in fact it is a good addition along with the kit. however it is not very versatile on a crop body by itself, IMHO... of course if it is for FF or film, it would be a completely different story

Canon and Nikon are good if you want a wide selection of pre-owned glasses at a reasonable price

To OP,
give us a budget will be easier for us to give suggestions.
Personally I don't think the 35mm makes you move as much. The lack of versatility forces you to be creative in how you approach subjects. The problem with the kit lens imo is that they lack any resale value. If you have the money, you are much better off buying some decent glass. If you don't have the money, the 50mm will provide you with good challenges.

but as you say, they are cheap, so you don't really lose much. Just don't expact people to be clamouring to buy the kit lens when/if you decide to upgrade
Newbie
Mar 18, 2009
16 posts
Ontario, Canada
A budget would be good as mentioned as well as the purpose for your potential DSLR. What will you be using it for now? What will you be using it for in 5 years? Are there any particular features you'd need, like or prefer in a DSLR system?

Most DSLR manufacturers are of similar quality these days. If Canon or Nikon don't fit what you'd like in a DSLR, there's also other brands of similar quality; each has its own distinctive features that may appeal to you as well. Some examples are Sony, Olympus, Pentax, etc.
Member
Jul 1, 2009
342 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
gPackrat wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 8:32 am
Some examples are Sony, Olympus, Pentax, etc.
I think for most people Canon and Nikon are the best way to go. Best range of lenses would be my number one argument for them. Plus a lot of the old canon lenses in particular still fit on the dSLR bodies. I have tried a few old film lenses and they are great.

Even though the Zeiss glass you get for sony is amongst the best you can get, and my personal shopping list incluses the Zeiss 21mm 2.8 distagon, 18mm 3.5 and possibly the 85 1.4, it is often pretty expensive.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
Mprezd wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 8:32 am
Personally I don't think the 35mm makes you move as much. The lack of versatility forces you to be creative in how you approach subjects. The problem with the kit lens imo is that they lack any resale value. If you have the money, you are much better off buying some decent glass. If you don't have the money, the 50mm will provide you with good challenges.

but as you say, they are cheap, so you don't really lose much. Just don't expact people to be clamouring to buy the kit lens when/if you decide to upgrade
Depends on how tight a budget the OP has and what they're willing to spend... can't speak for Canon but for Nikon's entry-level bodies, you can get a kit lens with the body for anywhere between $100-150 which isn't that much... but again that's relative.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Member
Jul 1, 2009
342 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Winkle wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 8:44 am
Depends on how tight a budget the OP has and what they're willing to spend... can't speak for Canon but for Nikon's entry-level bodies, you can get a kit lens with the body for anywhere between $100-150 which isn't that much... but again that's relative.

Yeah, now if the OP would just tell us what their budget is, we could probably get rid of most of this discussion :D
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
SEARCH.

Seriously.

Not be a jerk about it, but this question gets asked at least twice a week, and the most knowledgeable users are getting tired of answering again and again, so you're not likely to get a great response. At least TRY to find some of the old threads.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
95 upvotes
I suggest a DSLR that can use the search function on the board. Maybe someone should just round up all the "What's a good entry-level DSLR?", combine them, and make it a sticky?

If you search 50mm 1.8 you'll also find the same debate as above repeated a few times.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 17, 2008
521 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, Ontario
my budget is $300 to $1000
Winners in 2009
May 3, 2009 - Bruce Springsteen Tickets Sept 1, 2009 - Maple Leaf Pre-Season Tickets
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 26, 2001
2710 posts
19 upvotes
unless you buy used the low end is dreaming for a digital slr and lens and even then you wont get much, figure on 6-800 once you get mem cards, filter, case, maybe flash etc.

like mentioned before, go in a few stores and try some out, handle them, see how they fit your hand etc but dont buy until you've tried the major brands, then when you decide find a good price
Gigabyte MA990FXA-UD3/FX 8350/MSI R9 270X/16GB Corsair Vengeance/Win 10
Gigabyte 890GM-D2H/FX 8120/16GB Gskill/XFX 5770/Win 10
Heatware
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
blackhawk wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 3:08 pm
like mentioned before, go in a few stores and try some out, handle them, see how they fit your hand etc but dont buy until you've tried the major brands, then when you decide find a good price
\

For trying out gear I strongly recommend stores like Henry's based on my experience. I would avoid FS and BB mainly because they won't have nearly as many bodies or as many brands, the display models won't be in that great of a shape, and the sales people @ FS/BB will likely try to "help" you whether you want it or not and they generally have no clue as to what they're talking about especially when it comes to more professional-level equipment.

I've had good experience with Henry's myself (Scarborough, Vaughan and Newmarket locations), the rep's I've had were always helpful, knew what they were talking about (better then the FS/BB folks) and they never pester or pressure me into buying anything. I haven't been to Vistek often but they have been okay as well for me.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 2, 2005
2723 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
I started Photography about 6 months ago....

I bought:

D60 w/ Kit Lens = $550 Brand New (Off CL)
1 x DSLR Bag = $40 Brand New @ Henry's
1 x Backpack Camera Bag = $50 Used (Off RFD)
1 x AF-S 35mm F1.8 = $270 Brand New @ Henry's

Already had from Dad:
1 x SB-600
1 x Manual 50mm F1.4
1 x Manual 80-200 F4.5
Random Filters

So this hobby costs me under $1000 and I can shoot a lot of different scenario for an advance Beginneer :)

Just an idea for gear and and how much to spend!
Reference:
100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK!
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=41978

Top