Art and Photography

Noob Question, What DSLR Camera to buy for a rookie?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2009 1:44 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 1, 2009
342 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
tdotcbc84 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 5:02 pm
I started Photography about 6 months ago....

I bought:

D60 w/ Kit Lens = $550 Brand New (Off CL)
1 x DSLR Bag = $40 Brand New @ Henry's
1 x Backpack Camera Bag = $50 Used (Off RFD)
1 x AF-S 35mm F1.8 = $270 Brand New @ Henry's

Already had from Dad:
1 x SB-600
1 x Manual 50mm F1.4
1 x Manual 80-200 F4.5
Random Filters

So this hobby costs me under $1000 and I can shoot a lot of different scenario for an advance Beginneer :)

Just an idea for gear and and how much to spend!
That really doesn't help in my opinion. Your purchase of a 35mm could well have been influenced by the fact you already had 2 other lenses.

Off topic though - being new to photography how do you find having manual focus lenses? And are they Nikon lenses or TP lenses?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2005
2723 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Mprezd wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 7:25 pm
That really doesn't help in my opinion. Your purchase of a 35mm could well have been influenced by the fact you already had 2 other lenses.

Off topic though - being new to photography how do you find having manual focus lenses? And are they Nikon lenses or TP lenses?
1. I would have bought the 35mm regardless, there is no other lens in that price range, has high aperture (F1.8), and has AF-S. You must remember, the noobie probably should not shell out for a D90 and above, therefore no built in motor!

2. Manual Focus is definitely a skill to be mastered! They were all Nikon Lenses, and it really helped me learn what PHOTOGRAPHY was.... I hardly use the Manual Focus simply because it's so hard to get perfect focus!
Reference:
100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK!
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=41978
Jul 1, 2009
342 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
tdotcbc84 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2009 8:28 pm
1. I would have bought the 35mm regardless, there is no other lens in that price range, has high aperture (F1.8), and has AF-S. You must remember, the noobie probably should not shell out for a D90 and above, therefore no built in motor!

2. Manual Focus is definitely a skill to be mastered! They were all Nikon Lenses, and it really helped me learn what PHOTOGRAPHY was.... I hardly use the Manual Focus simply because it's so hard to get perfect focus!
Yeah, forgot about the lack of motor tbh. When you use one system you tend to forget what the others do and don't have at difference price points. I have too much invested in glass to move from Canon.

Yeah, no doubt the manual focus is a skill to master. What are the actual focusing rings like? I am looking at a 21mm Zeiss at the moment (when it gets the ZE mount) and a few others but the Zeiss are all MF. What I love about their focus rings is that it feels like an eternity to turn through the focus, so it feels supremely accurate.
Feb 17, 2007
892 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
You can get started with any cheap SLR cameras such as the Canon Rebel XS. Those are great for starters because by the time you're good at it, there's new cameras out and you'll know exactly what you want.

Manually focusing is pointless most of the time especially on a cropped camera with no focusing screen. Instead, learn how to properly use your auto focus first.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
ricsad wrote:
Sep 25th, 2009 1:08 am
Manually focusing is pointless most of the time especially on a cropped camera with no focusing screen. Instead, learn how to properly use your auto focus first.
What?
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12068 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto
ricsad wrote:
Sep 25th, 2009 1:08 am
Winkle wrote:
Sep 25th, 2009 8:01 am
What?
The viewfinders are so small, so it is difficult to make an accurate judgement on what correct focus should be, even with good vision or dioptre compensation. Also, manual focus film cameras of the past featured split-prism viewfinder screens that made accurate focusing a breeze.
Deal with it.
Mar 18, 2009
16 posts
Ontario, Canada
It would still be nice to know what the DSLR will be used for as it opens up opportunities for solutions that better suit you.

I too always keep forgetting that the lower end Nikon cameras don't have a focus motor :|

As far as manual focus goes, it takes a bit of time and practice but is not so hard to do on cropped cameras. Personally I get about the same ratio of good/bad photos whether it's an AF zoom lens or a MF old film lens. I'm just that bad I guess ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2005
2723 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Just in regards to the focusing with my manual lens.....

With Nikon's there is that Green Light in the corner that turns SOLID if you are in focus.... takes a really steady hand to get it PERFECT!
Reference:
100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK!
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=41978
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
95 upvotes
tdotcbc84 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2009 2:50 pm
Just in regards to the focusing with my manual lens.....

With Nikon's there is that Green Light in the corner that turns SOLID if you are in focus.... takes a really steady hand to get it PERFECT!
And with Canons, the focus light in the centre blips red (and beeps if you have sound on), if you hold the button half down while manually focusing. Don't know if it works with fully manual lenses, but it does for auto lenses on manual focus.

But then you're still relying on the camera's focus detection, so you may as well autofocus.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21281 posts
2104 upvotes
There is no reason to reply on the green dot or a split focus screen with a crop camera. The VF of anything greater than the D80 is satiable to focusing. Its big enough, and with a 2.8 lens, bright enough. I haven't had any problems shooting macro, or action with MF.
Jul 4, 2009
178 posts
49 upvotes
and the response was, 3 years ago, "why Canon or Nikon?"

Well that's what everyone else is talking about.

I ended up getting a Pentax *istD used at Henry's outlet store for about a quarter the amount of money I would've dropped on new gear (from whichever brand). They had an excellent 28-105mm f/2.8-4 Sigma lens which I picked up new at the same time.

I've since upgraded to the K20D and added a couple of extra lenses to my collection.

Point of my story? Tons of excellent Pentax lenses too - especially because all their K-Mount bayonet lenses since the 80's or earlier(?) are compatible with the new cameras!

Because they're a runner-up in the Canon/Nikon popularity contest, I've found pricing is often a tad more competitive, YMMV.

I would definitely pick up used gear as a rookie, to save cash and not feel nervous about damaging pricey new gear - which means you'll take more shots and have more fun..

I took some amazing pix with my point and shoot Sony before moving up into the semi-pro gear - the camera doesn't matter, having fun using it does.
Mar 18, 2009
16 posts
Ontario, Canada
Krupo wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 2:51 am
and the response was, 3 years ago, "why Canon or Nikon?"

Well that's what everyone else is talking about.

I ended up getting a Pentax *istD used at Henry's outlet store for about a quarter the amount of money I would've dropped on new gear (from whichever brand). They had an excellent 28-105mm f/2.8-4 Sigma lens which I picked up new at the same time.

I've since upgraded to the K20D and added a couple of extra lenses to my collection.

Point of my story? Tons of excellent Pentax lenses too - especially because all their K-Mount bayonet lenses since the 80's or earlier(?) are compatible with the new cameras!

Because they're a runner-up in the Canon/Nikon popularity contest, I've found pricing is often a tad more competitive, YMMV.
Interesting you mention that, I just picked up a 50mm f1.7 for like $40 on Ebay for my Pentax. It's stabilized too since the anti-shake is in-body ;)
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13173 posts
1488 upvotes
Mississauga
gPackrat wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 9:49 am
Interesting you mention that, I just picked up a 50mm f1.7 for like $40 on Ebay for my Pentax. It's stabilized too since the anti-shake is in-body ;)
Which one did you get? I have a Chinon f1.7 and love it on my Pentax.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5172 posts
268 upvotes
The Olympus E-620 is quite a great camera. Higher grade Olympus lenses are much cheaper too when you're ready to upgrade.
This space for rent.