Noodle Wok - Burmhamthorpe and Mavis

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2015 1:12 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
Ducky wrote: not meant to bash Noodle Wok cuz i still go here once in awhile....

but one time, i was ordering takeout from noodle wok...i saw this customer who sat there having her meal...drank her soup from the styrofoam container

when she was done, she brought the styrofoam container to the front counter and wanted more...the staff said she needs to pay...so the customer just left the empty styrofoam container there and walked out...

the staff took that styrofoam container and poured soup into it for a takeout order for another customer....

i don't know if it was intentional or the staff was day dreaming...
I've seen some of the counter staff make wonton's or springrolls on the front counter, this could be unsanitary due to the high traffic of customers in the area. You don't want people breathing all over your food...I would hope the styrofoam incident is isolated, some of the counter staff are not really all that sharp. I've had more than my share of service issues here, one time one of the girls was talking to a customer when I was waiting to order, she seemed oblivious of me, 5 mins or so later I blurted out "can I order now"? The lady with glasses seems to be the most forgetful, she may be overworked, but she has messed up my orders a couple of times. Once I tried telling her that I never ordered the item and she insisted I did. The good thing is the orders that I didn't order tasted good, that it didn't bother me in the end. The place could be better organized or atleast the ordering system can be.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2004
1070 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
wolverine07 wrote: I've seen some of the counter staff make wonton's or springrolls on the front counter, this could be unsanitary due to the high traffic of customers in the area. You don't want people breathing all over your food...I would hope the styrofoam incident is isolated, some of the counter staff are not really all that sharp. I've had more than my share of service issues here, one time one of the girls was talking to a customer when I was waiting to order, she seemed oblivious of me, 5 mins or so later I blurted out "can I order now"? The lady with glasses seems to be the most forgetful, she may be overworked, but she has messed up my orders a couple of times. Once I tried telling her that I never ordered the item and she insisted I did. The good thing is the orders that I didn't order tasted good, that it didn't bother me in the end. The place could be better organized or atleast the ordering system can be.
yeah, i've seen wonton and spring rolll being made in the counter in many chinese resturants, it doesn't really bother me tho. Those wonton will be boiled in hot water before serving and spring rolls will be deep fried as well. I am sure most if not all the bateria are killed during the cooking process.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Ducky wrote: my #1 choice for a casual chinese restaurant...for sit in or take out...

in terms of quality, value, price...

Chiu Chow Man

http://www.chiuchowman.com

one of the lowest prices i've seen for takeout from a restaurant (not comparing with fast food courts)

if anyone knows a better cheaper place for chinese takeout from a restaurant in mississauga, let me know...thanks

for the poster who said sam woo...i find sam woo expensive for what you get...
Any chance of getting an English menu?
Edit: nvm, following the Chinese links will eventually bring you to some English.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6485 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
direct link to chiu chow man's english/chinese menu:

http://www.1314333.org/chiuchowman/main.html

(give it some time to load)

if you look at the prices, it is pretty good for a restaurant.

my favourite dish is the "satay beef rice nooodle" (the flavour is different than other places likes congee wong and etc...cuz they use peanut satay instead...so if you're allergic to peanuts, please AVOID this dish.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Where is Chiu Chow Man?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6485 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
Raggie wrote: Where is Chiu Chow Man?
in the chinese plaza on the southeast side of central parkway west/burnhamthorpe...
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: not meant to bash Noodle Wok cuz i still go here once in awhile....

but one time, i was ordering takeout from noodle wok...i saw this customer who sat there having her meal...drank her soup from the styrofoam container

when she was done, she brought the styrofoam container to the front counter and wanted more...the staff said she needs to pay...so the customer just left the empty styrofoam container there and walked out...

the staff took that styrofoam container and poured soup into it for a takeout order for another customer....

i don't know if it was intentional or the staff was day dreaming...

Thank you everyone for throwing in their fav places near SQ1, I will sure try some out but this story above turned my stomach a little. Looks like Macy's from now on
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I am gonna be trying out Chiu Chow Man sooner or later. Didn't know about it before but it sounds interesting.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Bump...

I was at Noodle Wok this evening and there was a Mazda Car Key taped to the outside of the window next to their back door!!

I guess somebody lost their car key in that restaurant?? :-0 :lol:
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3499 posts
1688 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote: Bump...

I was at Noodle Wok this evening and there was a Mazda Car Key taped to the outside of the window next to their back door!!

I guess somebody lost their car key in that restaurant?? :-0 :lol:
Aren't there autoshops around the area? It have come from anywhere I suppose...
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
3430 posts
53 upvotes
London
Jucius Maximus wrote: I am gonna be trying out Chiu Chow Man sooner or later. Didn't know about it before but it sounds interesting.
Thats a good place to eat. Noodle Wok is barely average.

Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
evanx wrote: Thats a good place to eat. Noodle Wok is barely average.

I don't do this often but I am going to stick up for Noodle Wok.
Their food is fast, hot, and the selection is pretty good.

I do agree that they may not be the cleanest but that is really the only bad point.

Now this thing about car keys? it puzzles me, if you do not have your car keys, how do you drive off?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
rammingman wrote: Now this thing about car keys? it puzzles me, if you do not have your car keys, how do you drive off?
For years I carried around more than 1 car key due to driving more than 1 car. Also, lots of people live in the area and could have walked to Noodle Wok.
- casual gastronomist -
Oct 3, 2007
56 posts
Ontario
wellllllll
i don't recomend u guys to try Chiu Chow Man
i had dinner with my cousion 3 weeks ago, when we sat down they didn;t give us the menu and when we asked "menu please", a waitress came and
took the menu, but she didn't give it to us instead of leaving it on another empty table, didn't know what she was thinking about. i got mad , went that table and took it myself.

serivice is not that good, price is average, food is not worth what you pay
swear never go back
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6485 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
i have yet to have a bad experience at chiu chow man...i don't find the service amazing or anything...just average...almost all chinese restaurants are average to below average service...

where can you find cheaper prices for food in mississauga with a chinese restaurant style setting? please let me know...

the satay noodles are awesome...(beef/chicken/squid)
May Day wrote: wellllllll
i don't recomend u guys to try Chiu Chow Man
i had dinner with my cousion 3 weeks ago, when we sat down they didn;t give us the menu and when we asked "menu please", a waitress came and
took the menu, but she didn't give it to us instead of leaving it on another empty table, didn't know what she was thinking about. i got mad , went that table and took it myself.

serivice is not that good, price is average, food is not worth what you pay
swear never go back
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
825 upvotes
Newmarket
IMO, Spoon and Fork in Clarkson owns any of these places due to having the right mix of variety, quality/cooking ethics, and blend of acceptabilty/authenticity. One of the few places I wouldnt be embarassed to actually eat in at either.
but not going to be the cheapest.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
Spoon and Fork is part of a chain of fusion restos.. JJ Thai in Mississauga and Twin Fish in Brampton have the same menus and prices as Spoon and Fork locations (Mississauga and Oakville I believe)

They're pretty good but their pad thai is too sweet and their prices are definitely above average
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Had noodle wok last night.

Nothing has changed. Huge portions and decent flavours.
[removed]
A guide for the everymans guide to investments
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6485 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
rammingman wrote: Had noodle wok last night.

Nothing has changed. Huge portions and decent flavours.
You get what you pay for... Prices are cheaper because they cheap out a lot on ingredients...

Standard Chinese seafood chow mein

Should contain shrimp, scallop, squid, possibly fish

At noodle wok, you get tiny shrimp, imitation crab meat, fish cake, fish ball

That doesn't cut it just because it is like $2-3 cheaper... They already save money with the cafeteria style ambience...