Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1369 posts
32 upvotes
Scarborough

Nordic Winter Tires

Anyone have any info on Nordic Winter Tires?? Crappy ? Good ? Ok? Awesome?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1708 posts
18 upvotes
North York
They're OK. I used them in icy Quebec for 1 season (IceTracks)..they worked well enough. They're not made using the latest technology. Off the top of my head I can't remember who makes them..BF Goodrich?

In my opinion the best bang for the buck are the Dunlop Graspics sold at Sam's club and walmart. Both are better choices than running all seasons.
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
I've heard great things about the Dunlop Graspics DS-2. I'd look into another tire other than Nordic. Let me guess, you looked at the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] flyer? ;)
Dec 9, 2004
452 posts
Ottawa
The set I had worked well only for one winter, and was only slightly better than all-seasons after that. This is with proper storage during the summer.

I tried them because I thought the are cheap and wouldn't be that much worse than more expensive alternatives. I was wrong. I would strongly suggest paying a little more for more favourably reviewed options such as michelins, nokians and yokohamas.

As usual, ymmv, this is based solely on my own experience.
Nov 8, 2001
567 posts
43 upvotes
Victoria
They're good value for the money. You can easily buy better tires - but these work fine.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
I just bought a set, guess which one?

Nordic Wintertrac ($77)

BFGoodrich Slalom (Rating of 4/5 at 1010Tires) ($110)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6830 posts
1257 upvotes
Yup, they look pretty darn similar! Sounds like a good alternative!
Feb 26, 2003
632 posts
79 upvotes
I had them on my Aerostar, worked great.
They are forsale $75 for the pair 75-205 14" Still like new.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1369 posts
32 upvotes
Scarborough
I got a quote from Wheel Direct(Shepphard/Mccowan) for Toyo GO2 WINTER tires 195/60/15 with rims + install and balance $800 tax in...

I heard good things bout Toyo. Does it sound like a good deal.
Aug 3, 2003
729 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
if you drive a rust bucket, than go for these
they are better than all season in deep snow, but no difference in ice
but if your car is anything half decent, spend a little more
$30-$40 can buy you a lot better tire

winter tires really makes a big difference, considering 1 accident can skyrocket your insurance rates, imo it makes sense to invest in good winter tires
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
AirBosh wrote:I got a quote from Wheel Direct(Shepphard/Mccowan) for Toyo GO2 WINTER tires 195/60/15 with rims + install and balance $800 tax in...

I heard good things bout Toyo. Does it sound like a good deal.
Sounds decent, Id go for it.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
Not really...

4 - Nokian Hakkapeliittas 2 (205/70/15) @ Nantucket
4 - Winter Rims Sams Club / Walmart
= $809.6, tax in
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3802 posts
1276 upvotes
Azxster wrote:Not really...

4 - Nokian Hakkapeliittas 2 (205/70/15) @ Nantucket
4 - Winter Rims Sams Club / Walmart
= $809.6, tax in
does sams club carry NOKIAN????
Jun 3, 2003
390 posts
Toronto
just to let you know, same tread wear does not equal same quality tires. they can use different grades of rubber, lower quality control or can be just bf goodrich tires that didn't pass their test. I'm saying it can be anything. I can prove this happens all the time, have you guys seen nexxtech stuff? Its a rip from most other brands but with lower quality parts and manufacturing.
Mar 15, 2003
807 posts
292 upvotes
toronto
prynce_qt wrote:just to let you know, same tread wear does not equal same quality tires. they can use different grades of rubber, lower quality control or can be just bf goodrich tires that didn't pass their test. I'm saying it can be anything. I can prove this happens all the time, have you guys seen nexxtech stuff? Its a rip from most other brands but with lower quality parts and manufacturing.

Yes, this is what i heard too, but having said that, if wintertracs are all you can afford, then go for it. The icetrac treads look much more agressive than the wintertracs but thats just from looking at it. I dont have experience with them.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
I just replaced my set of Wintertracs with a set of BFG AT T/A KO's. All four Wintertracs had sidewall bulges after three winters with very low km's....lotsa tread left since I probably had less than 15K over the three winters...in 2004, I had put on 10K on both my all terrains and winters. I have been told that the bulges are caused by the steel belts failing. Too many potholes??? The sidewalls on my six year old Goodyear all terrain tires were fine over same roads. Winter performance was ok on the Wintertracs. IMO, the biggest weakness besides the poor sidewalls was ice braking....only fair at best without studs. The best thing was that they were the cheapest winter tire available....except for the Walmart Magna Wintergrips.

Dave
Nov 7, 2005
153 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
I"ve heard enough about the WinterTrak's, how about the Nordic IceTrak's? Right now I'm considering between Michelin X-Ice's (quoted $170 for 16") vs. Nordic IceTrak's ($102 for 16"), especially considering that we're in Vancouver (not montreal/ottawa/toronto) and the winters never get that crazy. I do snowboard a lot up at whistler, but then again they always salt that road most of the time.

I noticed the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink] link at the top of this thread didn't work. Here's the updated link.
Dec 22, 2004
187 posts
2 upvotes
I had nordic icetraks on my honda last year. I had never had winter tires before and just needed a cheap set of tires ($50 for two basically brand new out of the Pennysaver) since I was getting rid of the car soon. I was really impressed. Even on the days with lots of snow, I could not get stuck . I went out and tried to get stuck for fun and simply could not do it. Even if the streets were full of snow and no one else had gone down, I was able to get through with no problem.

BTW, I find it funny that so many people in ON get snow tires, I grew up in Winnipeg and almost nobody gets snowtires there and they get a whole lot more snow in a year. (It is not unsual to have streets where the concrete is not seen for a month or two in the winter.)
Feb 26, 2003
632 posts
79 upvotes
DavidY wrote:I just replaced my set of Wintertracs with a set of BFG AT T/A KO's. All four Wintertracs had sidewall bulges after three winters with very low km's....lotsa tread left since I probably had less than 15K over the three winters...in 2004, Dave
I also had 'bulges' in the sides of the Wintertacs. Looked more like a straight ridge line than a round bulge. I asked CTC about this and was told that this is where the sidewalls join and it was normal on that tire. To be sure I also asked a friend in another city who worked in the auto parts at CTC and he confirmed this. It has never caused any problem and the tires ran smooth. CTC has a good warranty policy, if you really have bulges they will replace the tires.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)