Shopping Discussion

Is it normal to get display items from SportChek?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2019 6:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 25, 2016
101 posts
18 upvotes

Is it normal to get display items from SportChek?

I ordered some shoes and the bottom part is kinda dirty. It's obviously been tried on. Is it normal for them to do that? I can't even exchange it in store because the store doesn't carry it.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2427 posts
1368 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
hansel89 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:27 pm
I ordered some shoes and the bottom part is kinda dirty. It's obviously been tried on. Is it normal for them to do that? I can't even exchange it in store because the store doesn't carry it.
It's not necessarily display stock. Could have been in the back room and someone tried it on, before deciding they didn't want them.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Sep 8, 2006
638 posts
349 upvotes
Edmonton
Depends on how dirty the bottom is. Some running shoes have white bottoms so even if someone tried them on in store for 30 seconds and walked a few steps, the bottom would be dirty.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6482 posts
1037 upvotes
T dot 6
I bought a golf driver from SportChek online and after receiving it, it was obviously used as a demo club. So it had a lot of scratches on the head and the labels were worn. It was annoying because it was sold as new, not as a demo club. Demo clubs are generally never sold as new and are cheaper then new.

I was worried SportChek wouldnt take it back saying I scratched up and played the club, but they took it back no questions asked.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
[OP]
Jul 25, 2016
101 posts
18 upvotes
Jaytee wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:22 am
I bought a golf driver from SportChek online and after receiving it, it was obviously used as a demo club. So it had a lot of scratches on the head and the labels were worn. It was annoying because it was sold as new, not as a demo club. Demo clubs are generally never sold as new and are cheaper then new.

I was worried SportChek wouldnt take it back saying I scratched up and played the club, but they took it back no questions asked.
I guess they're aware they send "used" stuff all the time. It's a bit disheartening though. Knowingly buying a demo item in store is one thing but being shipped one without any warning (maybe an email that says, "all we have is a demo item, do you still want it shipped?") would be nice. Or maybe a coupon would be nice to make up for it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15353 posts
5625 upvotes
Sport Chek uses stores to fulfill the stock, so it's up to the associate in the store to determine what you get. Sometimes when it comes to things like shoes the only one left in a size is a display model or one that people have tried on several times, so naturally is dirtier. This is common I find in online stores that use their brick and mortar stores to fulfill orders rather than pulling from a central warehouse.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4881 posts
310 upvotes
Yes, it's not uncommon.

If you ever buy an item (such as a FitBit) from their stores, make sure all the accessories (e.g. charging cable) are in the box before walking away.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7729 posts
743 upvotes
If you still want the shoes, send an email with photos to customer service and see if they'd be willing to offer you a discount to keep them?
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.
[OP]
Jul 25, 2016
101 posts
18 upvotes
Arrow wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 1:09 am
Yes, it's not uncommon.

If you ever buy an item (such as a FitBit) from their stores, make sure all the accessories (e.g. charging cable) are in the box before walking away.
Wow it's very annoying that you have to do that.
Apr 4, 2006
405 posts
17 upvotes
Bought 2 items online and both look like open box. Not very impressed to say the least.