Computers & Electronics

Normal for Lcd tv to have start up buzzing noise?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2010 3:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2963 posts
388 upvotes

Normal for Lcd tv to have start up buzzing noise?

I just got myself the Dynex that were on sale last wkend. The 37" (a11) model

Went through 2 unit already but both had this slight buzzing noise on start up, the noise would goes away after roughly 4 to 5 mins

Its like electronic noise at the back of the panel, its not loud but noticeable

Is this normal or its a sign of bad panel? I still have 27 day for the return.... But I really hate to do it again
Look here
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
Buzz... is noise, and as you know noise is caused by air moving rapidly. The frequency of that noise is defined by you as a 'buzz', which to most ears means 60 times a second... or 60 cycles, or basically the speed of alternating current.

I suggest that the buzz is a result of air oscillating quickly over the high voltage transformer circuit as electrical leakage finds new pathways to ground and in the process burns up moisture conductive air; this leakage settles down when most of the moisture is drawn out of the circuit.

OTH many devices have the telltale 60 cycle noise, most are due in part to transformer coils wrapped around multi-part cores which vibrate due to the magnetic pull of AC. usually this is a sign that the coil was not wrapped tight enough, or the coating of the coil is dry, the device for the most part will function well beyond the life of the product (I doubt this is your issue).
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2963 posts
388 upvotes
That was ... Very informative, thank you.

Should I guess I should return it? Or no? I can't tell what's your suggestion was...
Look here
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
Depends on how loud the buzzing is.... if you have to put your ear to the back to hear it.... then it's probably the second issue. But if it's coming in loud, then sooner or later the high voltage will find a path with a carbon track that will short out the system (game over),,, warranties what they are to-day, I would look for an American Express or Costco extended warranty of 2 years.

Cheaper units sometimes are great buys... but in this case, I have too many questions given the bees (hornets) in the box. Vizo's sets are the best selling brand in the low-end brands, and there is a reason. The few $ you save on this unit will bite you in the end... set your goals a bit higher. I can already see the RFD message in 8 months... shipping this back to a fab in the Orient for warranty work.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2963 posts
388 upvotes
Ya. The buzz is annoying me. I'll be giving them one last chance. I'll go in for the third. Lolz

Thx for your info dude/gal
Look here

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)