Is it normal for men to shave armpits?

Is there any risk?
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6650 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto
I simply use my clipper with the lowest guard.That area is quite sensitive and using clipper blades direct or shaving blades can result in cuts. It's a highly anaerobic area of the body that traps bacteria and sweat etc.
so cuts can become infected.
Women are accustomed shaving regularly and so the skin toughens over time and becomes less sensitive.
Keeping the hairs low help with better spread of deodorant especially salt crystals.
I find deodorants lasts longer as well with less hair in that area.
This goes for pretty much all parts of the body especially in summer.
Less hair,less smell and showers and deodorants lasts longer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9823 posts
862 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
picard12 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 7:53 am
Is it normal for men to shave armpits?

Is there any risk?
Yes, it's actually better as previous font said. Arm pit hairs trap and hold bacteria, moisture which can lead to fungal rashes. Esp. worse in summer months with heat and high humidity. So yes, it is always advantageous to shaving armpit hairs. You put Bond powder after shaving or anytime it's a hot or humid day. Best for keeping that area dry and prevents chafing burns (skin on skin friction) which is also worse in the summer. Hell, I use gillette throw-a-way shavers for that area. As long as you press gently and not hard you shouldnt have any problems with nicks, burns or cuts. The hairs in that area comes off quite easily I find, easier than say hairs on your chin like a beard, etc. which are more coarse and tough.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3659 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
unless you've had issue like bacterial infections as aznnorth said, i would leave the hairs alone. i never had any issues with mine so i don't see the point of removing them.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10853 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I wasn't aware of guys shaving their armpits as I thought our social norms dictate that it's just women who do this. Same thing with leg hair. So, for guys to shave their leg hair and arm pits, there should be a good reason for it (eg. competitive cyclist, swimmer)
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9823 posts
862 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Pretty common in pro sports. Swimmers shave off their armpit hairs to reduce friction. Every little bit counts a la Michael Phelps.

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10853 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Phelps should have shaved his eyebrows, too!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2084 posts
101 upvotes
Not an issue. I trim it off since I like the look. It's the same with my pubic hair.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10853 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
A lot of guys have beards these days. It would be weird to have a beard, no chest hair, no armpit hair, etc. Sure, trim the beard, trim the armpit hair. Keep things consistent and not off-balance. Like, it'd be weird to have no armpit hair yet have hair on the arms.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2084 posts
101 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 2:50 pm
A lot of guys have beards these days. It would be weird to have a beard, no chest hair, no armpit hair, etc. Sure, trim the beard, trim the armpit hair. Keep things consistent and not off-balance. Like, it'd be weird to have no armpit hair yet have hair on the arms.
Did the whole shaving my body once. It felt nice but it's more of a hassle. Keep it trimmed is better than letting it overgrow.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10853 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 12:35 am
Did the whole shaving my body once. It felt nice but it's more of a hassle....
Was there a reason for doing it other than reliving the glory days of being in a tweener's body, or avoid leaving any hairs at a crime scene?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1111 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I shave once a 3 months kind of.
My gilete mech3 turbo cartridge's last job is this and then i discard the cartridge
For a few days the hair are sharp so i use baby powder.
Its good idea to shave armpits once a while.
I leave the pubic hair alone though...i dont sweat there .
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2084 posts
101 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 1:37 pm
Was there a reason for doing it other than reliving the glory days of being in a tweener's body, or avoid leaving any hairs at a crime scene?
No big reason. I wanted to experience what it felt being silky smooth. Plus it was a hot day so I decided might as well.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4433 posts
218 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 3:08 pm
I wasn't aware of guys shaving their armpits as I thought our social norms dictate that it's just women who do this. Same thing with leg hair. So, for guys to shave their leg hair and arm pits, there should be a good reason for it (eg. competitive cyclist, swimmer)
Screw those social norms. They're the same type of social norms that assume that women shouldn't bare their cellulite at the beach or that women need to shave their underarms. Why would someone still support such antiquated thinking?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2968 posts
402 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Been doing it for ages. I do it because I H-A-T-E hate hate hate hate being hot and sweaty. I could care less about social norms or what anyone else thinks though.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.