• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2023 11:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3754 upvotes
I couldn't buy on Finch, it just feels separated for me anyways. I much prefer Yonge/Sheppard intersection.

I ended up buying in the Avondale area; Avonshire Parkside Townhomes facing Oakburn. Not going to enjoy the walk to the subway as I am spoiled now on Spring Garden :)
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1658 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
rob444 wrote: I've lived in a bottom unit here just over 3 years now so can speak from experience on a few things.

At least in our unit, noise is not an issue. The only time is late at night when the house is super quiet, if neighbours are being louder-than-average you can sometimes hear stuff through the walls. But this would be true in any condo or townhouse, as lots of the complaints have to do with people unfortunate enough to have inconsiderate/loud neighbours which can happen anywhere so often just comes down to luck. Regular day to day noise is not heard.

For layout, try to get a unit that has a direct entrance to your underground parking spot as I believe not all lower units have this. While the upper units have a little bit more space and more windows, not having to go outside and through the access points to the underground parking is a HUGE perk of the lower units... especially when trying to load stuff out of or into the car, and especially if you have a kid with baby seat (wasn't a thought at all to me at all when I bought 3 yrs ago but since our first kid arrived last month it sure is now!).

We also got all new appliances and replaced lots of the fixtures over the years, but really that is all cosmetic stuff. The original washer/dryer is a super tiny stacked unit so if that is still original, would be one of the first things I would spend money on upgrading.

It didn't actually "shoot up". Many years ago they did a maintenance fee study, and the yearly increases up to this year have been in the books and known for at least 3-4 years now. I think it projects a couple % increase each year going forward, but nothing major is projected that I can recall.

Yes the fee covers just water and common elements (including the central air unit). You pay for gas (Enbridge) and hydro (Toronto Hydro). Maintenance fee seems in line with comparable condo townhomes around the city. Heating the home is done via your hot water tank, which is a hydronic unit (so heated water is passed over forced air to heat the home). Most likely the house has a rental already from Direct Energy for around $50 per month. These kinds of tanks are super expensive to buy on your own.

I've dealt with the property manager (Woroz) on a couple issues, and he seems genuinely nice and always responds promptly and courteously when I ask him about stuff. We had 1 plumbing issue (blockage affecting kitchen sink) recently and they had a guy out here the next day fixing it.
Thanks for your input. We are in the middle of negotiations now for the right price. At first we were a little worried about the maintenance costs but I guess it's relatively the same for every home or condo in the area. The underground entrance from the unit to the garage is definitely a perk, which we really like.

Crossing fingers now...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
CharmyPoo wrote: I can't believe this thread is still going after all these years. I still standby my decision to purchase 5 Everson over 108 Finch especially for the people that care about a community feel and walking distance to the subway goes a long way. I simply wouldn't want to take a bus to Finch .. adds a lot to the commute.
Have you actually checked the distances here on a walking map? http://www.mappedometer.com/

Walking distance from 108 Finch W to Yonge/Finch intersection is approx 0.77km
Walking distance from 5 Everson to Yonge/Sheppard intersection is approx 0.72km
Depending on which specific unit you're living in at each place, it's essentially the same distance for both.

Everson does have some more useful shops within a closer walking area, so that is a big plus for there. But Finch has the massive Edithvale park across the street so is much better for dog owners (which was a big incentive for me). Obviously neither choice is automatically good or bad, as a buyer will have different factors that are more or less important to them.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1658 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
So it didn't look like the offer went through, now we are expanding our area to Yonge/Sheppard and the Everson townhomes seem somewhat attractive.
Does anyone know how old that complex is? How's the community?
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10107 posts
12726 upvotes
Toronto
Crimzaelus wrote: So it didn't look like the offer went through, now we are expanding our area to Yonge/Sheppard and the Everson townhomes seem somewhat attractive.
I used to live in that area (7-8 years ago) and it was very convenient with shops and subway right there. The park in the middle of the "community" was also very nice. Although I imagine a lot has changed now with the addition of a few condos.

The traffic was ok back then, but not sure how it is now. If you drive to/from work, I would check out the area during rush hour and see how traffic is.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
Crimzaelus wrote: So it didn't look like the offer went through, now we are expanding our area to Yonge/Sheppard and the Everson townhomes seem somewhat attractive.
I think they are 10 years old. Units similar size to 108 Finch are just as expensive though maintenance fees for those units are quite a bit higher. Someone I know lived in a unit around 1100sqf and they were paying around $700 for maintenance.

Honestly, whether it's a condo or townhouse, all the maintenance fees are a big scam. Just because a unit has an extra bedroom doesn't mean there's more snow around it in the winter or grass in the summer or the unit is using more light in the underground parking. This is why I don't like living in a condo-type place. You are paying a lot of money for absolutely nothing :(
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1658 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
dazz wrote: I think they are 10 years old. Units similar size to 108 Finch are just as expensive though maintenance fees for those units are quite a bit higher. Someone I know lived in a unit around 1100sqf and they were paying around $700 for maintenance.

Honestly, whether it's a condo or townhouse, all the maintenance fees are a big scam. Just because a unit has an extra bedroom doesn't mean there's more snow around it in the winter or grass in the summer or the unit is using more light in the underground parking. This is why I don't like living in a condo-type place. You are paying a lot of money for absolutely nothing :(
I agree to an extent. Maintenance fees are really for the management corp to store up enough funds in case something goes dramatically wrong with the complex.
The Everson complex maintenance fees are now in the $500s/month, which is quite high. However, they include all the utilities (hydro, water, heat, a/c) so that takes a few things off the list when paying the bills. Just that if it increases because your neighbours are draining the water or electricity month to month then it affects everyone. That's probably a down-side.

So it sounds like Everson is newer than 108 finch. I think the 108 Finch complex was built around 2001. We are planning to get a dog as well so the park is nice and convenient for us.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: This is why I don't like living in a condo-type place. You are paying a lot of money for absolutely nothing :(
It's tough to compare maintenance fees in a condo-townhome, to actual maintenance expenses in a freehold home. Not counting gas/hydro which are sometime bunched in and sometimes not, maintenance fees cover the water use, landscaping and snow removal, underground parking upkeep, all roof, balcony and exterior issues, some windows and doors, plumbing issues, and includes some insurance as well. Plus I'm sure there are more things the condo would be responsible for that I'm just not aware of yet.

So even though someone is paying $500 per month in these fees, a freehold home owner may be paying the equivalent of say $300 per month when all these similar yearly expenses are accounted for. So the "actual" cost to the condo owner, is not as high as it appears and is mainly for the so-called "convenience" of living in a condo in the first place.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
rob444 wrote: It's tough to compare maintenance fees in a condo-townhome, to actual maintenance expenses in a freehold home. Not counting gas/hydro which are sometime bunched in and sometimes not, maintenance fees cover the water use, landscaping and snow removal, underground parking upkeep, all roof, balcony and exterior issues, some windows and doors, plumbing issues, and includes some insurance as well. Plus I'm sure there are more things the condo would be responsible for that I'm just not aware of yet.

So even though someone is paying $500 per month in these fees, a freehold home owner may be paying the equivalent of say $300 per month when all these similar yearly expenses are accounted for. So the "actual" cost to the condo owner, is not as high as it appears and is mainly for the so-called "convenience" of living in a condo in the first place.
Yeah you're basically right.

For an actual "condo" building (highrise) there would be the townhouse stuff but also: fitness centre/swimming pool maintenance, underground parking garage maintenance, maintenance of all lobbies, security desks, concierges, "rental suites" (hotelling), bowling alleys, squash/racquetball courts, billiard rooms, libraries, emergency power genny, etc
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1658 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
Anyone experience any recent issues with the structure of the Everson townhomes?
From reading the history of this thread, it sounds like there were issues with flooding or the roof membrane. Does the management not cover that?

We don't mind the layout, the bedroom is kind of small but we can deal with it. We like the rooftop terrace and the location (close to subway and shops). The main floor with the kitchen is also spacious enough for us, since it's just for me and my fiancee.

At the end of the day, we just don't want to deal with any structural issues down the road (2-5 years).
Oct 20, 2007
76 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: I've lived in a bottom unit here just over 3 years now so can speak from experience on a few things.

At least in our unit, noise is not an issue. The only time is late at night when the house is super quiet, if neighbours are being louder-than-average you can sometimes hear stuff through the walls. But this would be true in any condo or townhouse, as lots of the complaints have to do with people unfortunate enough to have inconsiderate/loud neighbours which can happen anywhere so often just comes down to luck. Regular day to day noise is not heard.

For layout, try to get a unit that has a direct entrance to your underground parking spot as I believe not all lower units have this. While the upper units have a little bit more space and more windows, not having to go outside and through the access points to the underground parking is a HUGE perk of the lower units... especially when trying to load stuff out of or into the car, and especially if you have a kid with baby seat (wasn't a thought at all to me at all when I bought 3 yrs ago but since our first kid arrived last month it sure is now!).

We also got all new appliances and replaced lots of the fixtures over the years, but really that is all cosmetic stuff. The original washer/dryer is a super tiny stacked unit so if that is still original, would be one of the first things I would spend money on upgrading.

It didn't actually "shoot up". Many years ago they did a maintenance fee study, and the yearly increases up to this year have been in the books and known for at least 3-4 years now. I think it projects a couple % increase each year going forward, but nothing major is projected that I can recall.

Yes the fee covers just water and common elements (including the central air unit). You pay for gas (Enbridge) and hydro (Toronto Hydro). Maintenance fee seems in line with comparable condo townhomes around the city. Heating the home is done via your hot water tank, which is a hydronic unit (so heated water is passed over forced air to heat the home). Most likely the house has a rental already from Direct Energy for around $50 per month. These kinds of tanks are super expensive to buy on your own.

I've dealt with the property manager (Woroz) on a couple issues, and he seems genuinely nice and always responds promptly and courteously when I ask him about stuff. We had 1 plumbing issue (blockage affecting kitchen sink) recently and they had a guy out here the next day fixing it.
Is BBQ allowed in the complex?

How much should I expect to pay for a 1600 sqft with 2 parking spots?

I really like the feel of this complex.....but I'm worried that I can hear the neighbours
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
Queen438 wrote: Is BBQ allowed in the complex?
Yes many units have bbqs on patio outside the front door or on a balcony.
How much should I expect to pay for a 1600 sqft with 2 parking spots?
There's a 3-storey unit on sale right now at MLS for $550K.
I really like the feel of this complex.....but I'm worried that I can hear the neighbours
If you want to be guaranteed not to hear your neighbours, you need to get a detached home. In any condo, townhouse or semi-detached, no amount of soundproofing will prevent you from hearing loud neighbours.
Oct 20, 2007
76 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: Yes many units have bbqs on patio outside the front door or on a balcony.

There's a 3-storey unit on sale right now at MLS for $550K.

If you want to be guaranteed not to hear your neighbours, you need to get a detached home. In any condo, townhouse or semi-detached, no amount of soundproofing will prevent you from hearing loud neighbours.
Thanks!

Is 550k a good price?
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Queen438 wrote: Thanks!

Is 550k a good price?
Not sure if it is a good price in North York. But lot of the townhouses in Markham/Richmond Hill/Vaughan are going for $800k+ now.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: Not sure if it is a good price in North York. But lot of the townhouses in Markham/Richmond Hill/Vaughan are going for $800k+ now.
Keep in mind though this is a condo-townhome so on top of the $550K buy price you are also paying $730 monthly in maintenance fees. For these units that includes common-element maintenance (roofs, patios, balconies, windows, plumbing, etc) and some insurance, water use, landscaping/snow removal, underground parking, etc.
Monthly fee does NOT include hydro, gas, cable, or water heater/furnace.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11231 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on where the townhouse is, I would say that's steep. You can still get an older bungalow around that price in North York (obviously not in an expensive area like Willowdale however).
Queen438 wrote: Thanks!

Is 550k a good price?
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3754 upvotes
rob444 wrote: Keep in mind though this is a condo-townhome so on top of the $550K buy price you are also paying $730 monthly in maintenance fees. For these units that includes common-element maintenance (roofs, patios, balconies, windows, plumbing, etc) and some insurance, water use, landscaping/snow removal, underground parking, etc.
Are these the Everson or Finch ones? I recall the Everson ones include all utlities. I believe when I was looking 2 yrs ago they were $550 for a 2+1 and now its much much higher.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote: Are these the Everson or Finch ones? I recall the Everson ones include all utlities. I believe when I was looking 2 yrs ago they were $550 for a 2+1 and now its much much higher.
Not Everson, the 108 Finch ones.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rob444 wrote: Keep in mind though this is a condo-townhome so on top of the $550K buy price you are also paying $730 monthly in maintenance fees. For these units that includes common-element maintenance (roofs, patios, balconies, windows, plumbing, etc) and some insurance, water use, landscaping/snow removal, underground parking, etc.
Condo towns are going for 600-700k in Markham now..can get some in rhill for mid 500s eg observatory lane ones or weldrick ones for much less (but those are stacked towns