Not Allowed To Take Lunch Break

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 9:40 am
[OP]
Apr 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote

Not Allowed To Take Lunch Break

Kind of messed up situation here. I work for a really big company and you would think they would have an understanding of the labour law but I guess not. I am currently told that I am not allowed to take ANY types of breaks until all of my work is finished. If I want to eat some food, I must eat and work at the same time. I had explained that it is by law, my right to take a break and they agree but they still refuse to follow it. They continue to say that's not how this job works, you must finish your work first then you can take a break but, a majority of time your work is never finished so you are not given a break. You are literally work 8.5 hours. The .5 is your unpaid lunch but it is not given. I am not sure what to do here. I had spoken to my boss and he refuses to listen. Do I escalate the situation or keep my mouth shut until I lose my temper?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1279 posts
72 upvotes
First review your contract and see if anything about this 'rule' is mentioned. It may be the law of the land says you get it and perhaps the contract holds no weight, but that has to be taken to court.

I would send anonymous email to HR if you`re scared of backlash/dealing with fallout. If you have the balls make a complaint in person.

Failing that, let the labor board know.
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
Jun 14, 2015
90 posts
23 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Are you a pharmacist?
[OP]
Apr 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
I've already documented the days where they've denied me my breaks/lunch. I also contacted MOL and they told me since I am a part of the union, I must go through them. I read through the agreement and I am entitled breaks but once again, I guess that just flies pass the person in charge and the individual training me. I would like to call the union and tell them but I don't know what will happen when I go back to work.

No, I am not a pharmacist.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1636 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
First of all it's illegal, do the other workers complain about it as well if so you should file a complaint collectively
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13953 posts
2414 upvotes
Toronto
Which company and details about position?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7647 posts
839 upvotes
Markham
NoBreaks11 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 12:36 pm
I've already documented the days where they've denied me my breaks/lunch. I also contacted MOL and they told me since I am a part of the union, I must go through them. I read through the agreement and I am entitled breaks but once again, I guess that just flies pass the person in charge and the individual training me. I would like to call the union and tell them but I don't know what will happen when I go back to work.

No, I am not a pharmacist.
Worse can happened is you will get let go for some reason (especially if you are still on probation)
Even that, do you want to keep working for a company that treat their employees like this?

I would complain and won't feel any lost about it even I end up letting go.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3249 posts
238 upvotes
Calgary
Once you said "union" I'm wondering why you haven't immediately gone to them when your work situation doesn't match your collective agreement. That's literally what they are there for. You should be able to freely speak to your rep without it getting back to the company unless they decide to take action. It's absolutely unlawful, but trusting us instead of going to the union is time wasted.
[OP]
Apr 17, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
It's not the entire company that treats it's employees like that, its some parts of the company that does. It's so massive, I can pretty much go and work wherever I want and try something new. The other workers do other things, so they go on break whenever they want. This is just one part of the job I do which I am in training for. The other thing I do, I can go on break whenever I want. it's just this particular position, my ass must be glued to the seat without any breaks until I am pretty much done and with the way the job is done, there is no done until your shift is over.

I am definitely going to take this to the union and need to stop being afraid. I'm just new to this union stuff, so i don't know exactly how to go on about this.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13953 posts
2414 upvotes
Toronto
NoBreaks11 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 2:42 pm
It's not the entire company that treats it's employees like that, its some parts of the company that does. It's so massive, I can pretty much go and work wherever I want and try something new. The other workers do other things, so they go on break whenever they want. This is just one part of the job I do which I am in training for. The other thing I do, I can go on break whenever I want. it's just this particular position, my ass must be glued to the seat without any breaks until I am pretty much done and with the way the job is done, there is no done until your shift is over.

I am definitely going to take this to the union and need to stop being afraid. I'm just new to this union stuff, so i don't know exactly how to go on about this.
Does your manager and his boss not take any breaks?
Apr 9, 2008
400 posts
103 upvotes
Bby
Your company's rule for this will be outlined in your collective agreement. A copy of this should be easily accessible to you either online or from a union rep/steward. This representative will be able to answer your questions regarding this issue as it related to your particular position.

Generally, if you are required to work through your break you must be paid for your break, or given time off in lieu of.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3697 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto
So sounds like it's not the company issue, but your specific manager or mentor that's being an DBag.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2007
4462 posts
757 upvotes
London
Wtf? Did you post this exact same thing on Reddit? I think I just read this same post on there not too long ago.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1441 posts
596 upvotes
Hamilton
OP please give us the name of the company so we can help.
Mar 17, 2016
358 posts
234 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 3:37 pm
OP please give us the name of the company so we can help.
United Airlines