Not at fault car is deemed a total loss, need help got lowballed

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 2:17 am
[OP]
Jun 13, 2018
5 posts

Not at fault car is deemed a total loss, need help got lowballed

Hey,

I was in a collision about a week ago and insurance just got back to me saying the car is a write off. They offered me $1000... They said they appraised it for $3000 and from there $500 deducted because its "rebuilt" (is this a thing) and $1500 for "high mileage". I will admit It has high mileage but that's on a new transmission with engine work done which is why it went to 400k km, it would have easily gotten over 600k and i was planning on riding it out till it died because its reliability was too hard to give up (I am a student). Also my vehicle was in excellent condition, brake lines done in April and new window regulator two weeks ago.

What are my options, online I can find the same vehicle that range from $5000-$3000, i just cant match the mileage. Also is the $500 for rebuilt a legit value they use when doing appraisals?
Last edited by zlaed85 on Jun 15th, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2199 posts
838 upvotes
MARKHAM
show them proof of purchase on the new parts, maybe they can reimburse those.
Oct 5, 2009
997 posts
232 upvotes
Dartmouth
Yes it’s a fact that a car with a rebuilt title (meaning the car as previously in an accident bad enough to render it a total loss) will sell for less in the market.

Stop looking at cars like yours and start look8ng for cars for sale with 400 km plus on them and yo7 will see that the market value of cars with 400km is very low regardless of if they have a new engine or not.

Your policy entitles you to market value not replacement value and you’ll be hard pressed to find many cars that command a market value of 5 k with 400 km on them.

Having the brake lines done doesn’t add value to the car. Without good brake lines you can’t drive a car.
[OP]
Jun 13, 2018
5 posts
Toolatecrew wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:53 pm

Stop looking at cars like yours and start look8ng for cars for sale with 400 km plus on them and yo7 will see that the market value of cars with 400km is very low regardless of if they have a new engine or not.
When the adjuster called me, they said they were looking at same trim and model with 241,000km on it and got to 1k minus all the rebuilt and mileage stuff. This is what I went by when doing my search. Also year wise, i cant find any matching my year which is 2002, i can find 2003 2004 easy
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3023 posts
2494 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wait... so your car has a rebuilt title? Were you not aware of that all this time? What shady dealer did you buy the car from?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5978 posts
629 upvotes
Greely
Care to share what model 2002 400km with a rebuilt status vehicle we’re discussing here?
[OP]
Jun 13, 2018
5 posts
er34er34 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:32 pm
Wait... so your car has a rebuilt title? Were you not aware of that all this time? What shady dealer did you buy the car from?
Yeah rebuilt title, but small hit fixed perfectly and ive been driving it 150km highway back forth easy after some transmission work. Whats weird is that my old ownership said rebuilt but the new one doesn't.
[OP]
Jun 13, 2018
5 posts
steve-0101 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:44 pm
Care to share what model 2002 400km with a rebuilt status vehicle we’re discussing here?
Honda CR-V, I will never ever question Honda reliability due to my experience with this vehicle. It got me through so much.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4087 posts
532 upvotes
Montreal
We are talking about a rebuilt 2002 CR-V with 400k km so I doubt anyone on the used market will pay more than 1k for it. It sucks because it was worth more to you for sure.
Jul 19, 2004
695 posts
71 upvotes
Vancouver
zlaed85 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:52 pm
Honda CR-V, I will never ever question Honda reliability due to my experience with this vehicle. It got me through so much.
Maybe try to look outside of your area, an 02 crv should be popular enough to still have hits on craigslist/Kijiji. I have a 02 CRV as well and I agree those things are bulletproof, but it'll still be tough to prove that its worth more 1,000 due to it being a 16 year old car with 400,000 km. Any other car I'd argue it'll be worth like $500 at most.

Having repairs done don't help with the value as if you wouldn't have been able to drive the car anyways without the work done. I guess you can try to argue that it's in better condition in comparison.

How's the damage anyways? Maybe I'd look into just buying back the car and making whatever the repairs are needed.
[OP]
Jun 13, 2018
5 posts
someone16 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:02 pm
Maybe try to look outside of your area, an 02 crv should be popular enough to still have hits on craigslist/Kijiji. I have a 02 CRV as well and I agree those things are bulletproof, but it'll still be tough to prove that its worth more 1,000 due to it being a 16 year old car with 400,000 km. Any other car I'd argue it'll be worth like $500 at most.

Having repairs done don't help with the value as if you wouldn't have been able to drive the car anyways without the work done. I guess you can try to argue that it's in better condition in comparison.

How's the damage anyways? Maybe I'd look into just buying back the car and making whatever the repairs are needed.
Yeah, but you need to check CR-V's in Ontario. LIke you said bullet proof, thats why they were looking at CR-V with 241000 KM to compare it with. I have receipts for engine work done for $1500 three months ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2275 posts
297 upvotes
TO
It’s worth $100, $1000 is very fair.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1442 posts
534 upvotes
zlaed85 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:25 pm
Yeah, but you need to check CR-V's in Ontario. LIke you said bullet proof, thats why they were looking at CR-V with 241000 KM to compare it with. I have receipts for engine work done for $1500 three months ago.
Never heard of the rebuilt decrease but if it's on the title, it would be a valid argument on their part. If it's not worth it to buy back and fix, then I would just counter with a slightly higher price and see if they agree. Ultimately, they will want to close out the case but their appraisal doesn't seem too far off from the reality. It sucks that it was worth a lot more to you than the actual value. But this is a downside of owning a car that's past it's depreciation curve.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)