Parenting

Not really giving little girls a chance are they?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2013 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12547 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
spike1128 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 3:25 pm
Let's not get ahead of ourselves on this one and blow this out of proportion. The toys has nothing to do with feminism or discrimination. It has something to do with child psychology. Thus more girls will prefer to play with this than the boys.

Normally, given a male oriented toy (aka cars, tanks, robots) and a given a female oriented toy (aka barbie, kitchen set, etc) the boy will usually play with the male toy and the girl will play with the female toy. It is not to say that they are trying to manipulate the kids on playing a certain toy.

My friend once told me that if a girl gravitates on playing with boy toys or vice versa, it might mean that they might become homosexuals in the future. I would caution parents not to give opposite genderized toys to the kids, and let them pick their own toys. It wouldn't be cool to dress up a boy like a princess by their parents.
I can't believe this is a serious post.

I used to play with a kitchen set as a kid (I'm a guy) alongside my typical 80s robot toys. Kids will play with what they see adults playing with or just with whatever is around. The whole concept of 'genderized' toys won't occur to them unless someone tries to push it on them.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
All depends on the parents.

We just bought a kitchen for our 3 year old for Christmas. Sure there were pink kitchens, but there were other colours as well. In the end we got: http://www.kidkraft.com/toys-and-playse ... hens/53260 . As for getting a kitchen, he wanted it because he wanted to be like Daddy. He absolutely adores it. His brother was similar. When we used to go to the Science Centre Kidsworks, he would spend hours in the Grocery Store/Kitchen section (again like Daddy).

Son also wanted a Doll House...Easy to compromise and get a Playmobile House Set.

Whether a kitchen is Male or Female to a kid will depend on who they associate it with. In our house, I do all the cooking, all the gardening...and these are associated with me. My wife loves her car (Mini Cooper S) and driving so they associate cars with her...

Along the same lines, we are not uptight when it comes to clothes either...I know it annoyed some of the older relatives. When our kids were to be born, they kept asking the gender and we would tell them we wouldn't know until it was born (true). They got flustered as they didn't know what colour to buy...so we would say: Anything but blue and pink! OF course there will always be people who drive gender for clothes and looks. That is there issue.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6073 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
ippon wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 9:29 pm
replace the little girl with Dora.

**popping some corn**
Thats what I was thinking, this packaging could have been much worse if they had a picc of a Mexican, Latina or visible minority child on the box. Then that would be just wrong.

Don't see anything wrong with this, toddlers, will become kids who will eventually become adults and will have to learn how to do things like cook and clean, no harm in starting them early and making them familiar the supplies.

OP just to be clear, do you have issues with the packaging or product itself?

** grabs some of that freshly popped corn **
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1046 posts
38 upvotes
Abbotsford
product itself, but you're all making sense. Kid is 15months and this was the first real gender based Christmas. Was overwhelmed in the stores how clear it is girls play with dolls and kitchen sets. When I saw this boxing day it was just the icing. The occasional pic on a truck box of a girl playing with it would be welcome.

Also, I'm sick of pink.

Regarding the packaging - why would it be a bad thing if it was a minority. Your comment "Don't see anything wrong with this, toddlers, will become kids who will eventually become adults and will have to learn how to do things like cook and clean, no harm in starting them early and making them familiar the supplies." - does that not apply to everyone?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1046 posts
38 upvotes
Abbotsford
spike1128 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 3:25 pm
Let's not get ahead of ourselves on this one and blow this out of proportion. The toys has nothing to do with feminism or discrimination. It has something to do with child psychology. Thus more girls will prefer to play with this than the boys.

Normally, given a male oriented toy (aka cars, tanks, robots) and a given a female oriented toy (aka barbie, kitchen set, etc) the boy will usually play with the male toy and the girl will play with the female toy. It is not to say that they are trying to manipulate the kids on playing a certain toy.

My friend once told me that if a girl gravitates on playing with boy toys or vice versa, it might mean that they might become homosexuals in the future. I would caution parents not to give opposite genderized toys to the kids, and let them pick their own toys. It wouldn't be cool to dress up a boy like a princess by their parents.
Is this post for real?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1046 posts
38 upvotes
Abbotsford
x95zsk wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 1:32 pm
have 2 sons, we have a kitchen set and a shopping cart (to teach about money). both kids love it. the older one is starting to understand about money through the role play. we also have trucks, trains, animals and doctor play sets. we really did not care if it was geared to wards girls.
yeah, I'm not saying I'm buying it for her. I'm open to any toy for her. Just the fact the entire store is marketed towards her being a domesticated housewife.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6073 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
oakjefferson wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:56 am
product itself, but you're all making sense. Kid is 15months and this was the first real gender based Christmas. Was overwhelmed in the stores how clear it is girls play with dolls and kitchen sets. When I saw this boxing day it was just the icing. The occasional pic on a truck box of a girl playing with it would be welcome.

Also, I'm sick of pink.

Regarding the packaging - why would it be a bad thing if it was a minority. Your comment "Don't see anything wrong with this, toddlers, will become kids who will eventually become adults and will have to learn how to do things like cook and clean, no harm in starting them early and making them familiar the supplies." - does that not apply to everyone?
Sadly companies spend billions on research + marketing this stuff to kids and its not going to stop, some they go as far as having their own kids or focus groups of kids watch ads/packaging and pick which ones they like best. You may see an occasional truck marketed for girs, but guess what colour it would be? that right PINK. I recall seeing a kiddie toolset and toy truck marketed toward little girls and it was all pink.

As for why it could/would be a bad thing with a visible minority on the packaging, without opening a can or worms and entering banning territory:
- because it could be deemed as insensitive by reinforcing + perpetuating a stereotype and or myths.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1046 posts
38 upvotes
Abbotsford
Neovingian wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 1:00 pm
As for why it could/would be a bad thing with a visible minority on the packaging, without opening a can or worms and entering banning territory:
- because it could be deemed as insensitive by reinforcing + perpetuating a stereotype and or myths.
yeah, I'm not blind. I just think it's funny we've gone so far now that when you watch commercial's you'd think the only thief in the world is white. There's no balance.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8403 posts
13388 upvotes
I have often found it funny how boys are not to play with pink lego and pink cars.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7386 posts
554 upvotes
oakjefferson wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:58 am
yeah, I'm not saying I'm buying it for her. I'm open to any toy for her. Just the fact the entire store is marketed towards her being a domesticated housewife.
Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. Daughter wanting to be a good housewife or good mother, instead them going to parades promoting equality (Like the S walk, I know we are not allowed to write that word on RFD, or get nailed).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1046 posts
38 upvotes
Abbotsford
spike1128 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 1:59 pm
Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. Daughter wanting to be a good housewife or good mother, instead them going to parades promoting equality (Like the S walk, I know we are not allowed to write that word on RFD, or get nailed).
thanks for the troll confirmation.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
oakjefferson wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 11:58 am
How she grows up will depend how you raise her and what her inspirations are. I grew up very traditional as in what a woman does and what a man does in the house. I am far from a domesticated housewife and don’t want to be one in this lifetime. Ask spike1128 here how I got no issues defending women rights to equality against his archaic ideologies. I had a very strong willed aunt that taught me from a very young age that I don’t need to be the only one doing laundry nor cook for the whole household since the “man” can do it too.

To be honest, while shopping this holiday season. I was shocked and disgusted how when I went to the girls section at Toys R Us I saw a whole row/section on dolls where you can buy strollers, diapers, clothes etc. for them. I refuse to support such traditional mindsets. I don’t think cleaning, cooking, tools etc. are bad but I think dolls with diapers, strollers etc. cross the line for me with what we’re teaching them, the message we are sending them.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8403 posts
13388 upvotes
One of my girls likes dolls - so we get her dolls. The other was never fond of them - so they were not a major item for use to purchase for her (except Barbie...).
I hope one day my girls grow up to be great loving moms.

There is also a message in signaling to a boy or girl that dolls, diapers, toy stollers are less than. They are not less than.

It is a shame that if it is in the girls section it is less than.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7386 posts
554 upvotes
setell wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 2:51 pm
How she grows up will depend how you raise her and what her inspirations are. I grew up very traditional as in what a woman does and what a man does in the house. I am far from a domesticated housewife and don’t want to be one in this lifetime. Ask spike1128 here how I got no issues defending women rights to equality against his archaic ideologies. I had a very strong willed aunt that taught me from a very young age that I don’t need to be the only one doing laundry nor cook for the whole household since the “man” can do it too.

To be honest, while shopping this holiday season. I was shocked and disgusted how when I went to the girls section at Toys R Us I saw a whole row/section on dolls where you can buy strollers, diapers, clothes etc. for them. I refuse to support such traditional mindsets. I don’t think cleaning, cooking, tools etc. are bad but I think dolls with diapers, strollers etc. cross the line for me with what we’re teaching them, the message we are sending them.
Sorry setell, my ideas are not arachaic. I would be at odd with your silly idea of equality unless society stop having these double standards for men and women. It is ok for women to tell men to do their share of the houseworks (aka washing dishes, washing cothes, and changing the kids diapers), then turns around to complain to the men that somethings are "a man's job" (aka doing renovations, moving furniture, mowing the lawn etc).

OP is just going way overboard with this topic. I am sure someone did some studies that the some girls would want to play with those toys involving dolls with diapers and strollers. The children like to mimic their parents. So if mom is taking care of her, she would want to take care of the doll the same way. I completely agree with Neovingian view on this topic than the OP. OP just want to shove this "political correctness" down our throats, when it is not even an issue.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8403 posts
13388 upvotes
:arrowu:
I think it is more about choices - nothing wrong with traditional roles if that is what a person/couple wants, also there is nothing wrong with doing something different.

It is wrong to give a girl the message that playing with strollers etc is "not cool' and that to be valued she must play with "boy's toys."

The princess thing was a bit of a struggle for me. But I realized there is a time and a place for being pretty and dressed like a mini cinderella - although makeup is too much.

Grandmothers need to put dresses on little girls and then make comments of disapproval if they are wearing pants is an irritant.
× < >