Parenting

Not really giving little girls a chance are they?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2013 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 25, 2009
136 posts
25 upvotes
Saskatoon
You used the ' F ' word! much worse than the 4 letter 'F' word even.
Oct 13, 2008
358 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
ishfish wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 12:26 pm
:arrowu:
I think it is more about choices - nothing wrong with traditional roles if that is what a person/couple wants, also there is nothing wrong with doing something different.
It is wrong to give a girl the message that playing with strollers etc is "not cool' and that to be valued she must play with "boy's toys."
The princess thing was a bit of a struggle for me. But I realized there is a time and a place for being pretty and dressed like a mini cinderella - although makeup is too much.
Grandmothers need to put dresses on little girls and then make comments of disapproval if they are wearing pants is an irritant.
I think you guys are totally overthinking this stuff. They're toys. My daughter likes to wash windows with me, and helps me with the vacuuming. I told her it's a power tool, which it is. She'll then get dressed up in her princess rig and come outside and end up helping me change the oil on my motorcycle, and then want to go for a ride. She does just as good playing mario kart with me as she does playing princess dance with her dolls. I introduce her to a HUGE variety of activities, from traditional female ones to traditional male ones, and I let HER choose what she'd like to do. As parents, it's our job to NOT project OUR insecurities and foibles onto our children, and that includes this gender warfare crap like "it's a girl toy only", or "that's a boy toy"...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
24713 posts
1206 upvotes
Richmond Hill
^I concur, nothing wrong at all, I use vacuum, broom and mop around the house and I'm a guy.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
1920 posts
475 upvotes
Ottawa
spike1128 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 3:25 pm
My friend once told me that if a girl gravitates on playing with boy toys or vice versa, it might mean that they might become homosexuals in the future.
Oh lord. I played with Lego, Transformers, GI Joe and played all sorts of sports when I was a kid and am as queer as a 3 dollar bill now. Tell her that.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8403 posts
13388 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Jan 19th, 2013 7:30 am
Oh lord. I played with Lego, Transformers, GI Joe and played all sorts of sports when I was a kid and am as queer as a 3 dollar bill now. Tell her that.

Right on!!!
× < >