• Nov 13th, 2018 2:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville

Not receiving notifications on popular threads

So for at least a year I don't seems to be sent notifications for popular threads. After I view the thread, I sometimes get one notification, but never more than one even when there are multiple posts.
On new or less popular threads, I seem to get email notifications for every post.

The Dashcam thread is one of the popular threads I don't get notifications to.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-p ... 06658/649/

Here are my notification settings. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

3 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12085 posts
22348 upvotes
Scarborough
This is a measure to ensure users don't get flooded with emails. For example, an instant email alert subscription on a thread that receives 100 posts per hour would generate 100 emails without flood measures in place. I do believe the threshold here can be re-evaluated. Simply letting an email go out for every post could be problematic for both us and the subscribing member.

I'll make a note to take a deeper look into this in January. In the meanwhile adjusting your subscription type to daily for these faster moving threads might be a better solution.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:45 pm
This is a measure to ensure users don't get flooded with emails. For example, an instant email alert subscription on a thread that receives 100 posts per hour would generate 100 emails without flood measures in place. I do believe the threshold here can be re-evaluated. Simply letting an email go out for every post could be problematic for both us and the subscribing member.

I'll make a note to take a deeper look into this in January. In the meanwhile adjusting your subscription type to daily for these faster moving threads might be a better solution.
Yea, that's understandable. I wouldn't want 100/hour, but 1 every 5-10 min is ok. Most of the popular threads I'm on are 1 or 2 an hour. At the very least maybe we could have a notification option to send a summary once an hour (like the Daily option).
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12085 posts
22348 upvotes
Scarborough
engineered wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 2:00 pm
At the very least maybe we could have a notification option to send a summary once an hour (like the Daily option).
Not a bad suggestion. I agree that just stopping the emails entirely is not the best solution so I hope we'll be able to come up with some compromise.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].