Automotive

Not sure what this is. Stuck in dirt wheel well?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2015 9:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2084 upvotes
I would start with an all purpose cleaner.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2012
1075 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
It could be rust proofing, road paint, tire dressing sling.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1808 posts
932 upvotes
Ottawa
Likely rail rust. A clay bar will get that off.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1111 posts
91 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Goo Gone.

Get it at all the major players, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1451 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
Okay so the dealer kinda took responsibility for this. Its whatever they used to put on the tires to make them shine. I took delivery during a bad thunderstorm and they had sprayed that stuff on the tires just that day. They body shop they have said they can fix it. They said its stuck into the base coat or clear coat. Whatever the top layer is. They said they can sand that down without touching the original paint and reapply a coat. Is this normal? I'n not so worried about the wheel wells but I am worried under the door.

Any other options to take that stuff out? They said its stuck in there. It looks like its in there good.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6381 posts
2186 upvotes
Canada
Wow ... I'd be pissed if they have to sand and paint. That sucks.
Mar 19, 2012
92 posts
21 upvotes
Sherwood Park, AB
Im not sure how it is underneath the clear coat....

I have detailed a number of vehicles and sometimes you need to use a stronger product than APC to remove tire dressing sling. Home Depot sells a product by ZEP called Fast 505. Try some on a small spot and spray on let dwell/agitate then rinse.

DO NOT let the dealer touch this they will sand right through the clearcoat. Listen to RFD and spend some money on some supplies and try tackling this yourself.
- All Purpose Cleaner
- Bug & Tar Remover
- Mild Claybar
- If none of those work get some Megiuars Ultimate Polish and try to lightly remove it by hand.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1451 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
raspeed wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 4:21 pm
Wow ... I'd be pissed if they have to sand and paint. That sucks.
yeah I'm pissed but at this point what can I do. That's why I'm here trying to figure out the best solution. The only part that doesn't make it that bad is it only stuck to the plastic and mostly in the wheel well.
10secdream wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 4:22 pm
Im not sure how it is underneath the clear coat....

I have detailed a number of vehicles and sometimes you need to use a stronger product than APC to remove tire dressing sling. Home Depot sells a product by ZEP called Fast 505. Try some on a small spot and spray on let dwell/agitate then rinse.

DO NOT let the dealer touch this they will sand right through the clearcoat. Listen to RFD and spend some money on some supplies and try tackling this yourself.
- All Purpose Cleaner
- Bug & Tar Remover
- Mild Claybar
- If none of those work get some Megiuars Ultimate Polish and try to lightly remove it by hand.
They said its stuck in the clear coat and they can just sand out the clear coat and not the paint. But yeah I'm not sure about that so thats why I ask. I do have to say I don't know much about this stuff but it does look like its in there. I am not sure any cleaner can take it off but I don't know much.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1543 posts
147 upvotes
DdBigs wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 4:17 pm
Okay so the dealer kinda took responsibility for this. Its whatever they used to put on the tires to make them shine. I took delivery during a bad thunderstorm and they had sprayed that stuff on the tires just that day. They body shop they have said they can fix it. They said its stuck into the base coat or clear coat. Whatever the top layer is. They said they can sand that down without touching the original paint and reapply a coat. Is this normal? I'n not so worried about the wheel wells but I am worried under the door.

Any other options to take that stuff out? They said its stuck in there. It looks like its in there good.
It is like having a second layer of paint on top of the clear coat. If the dealer owns up and will fix it this free of charge, I would say do it, and perhaps ask for a free maintenance service or two for your trouble.

Here's how I think their body shop would do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PyXbrNbsE
Mar 19, 2012
92 posts
21 upvotes
Sherwood Park, AB
I still don't understand how tire dressing gets embedded under the clear coat. Big red flag in my mind to not let the dealer touch it. As mentioned try a bug/tar remover or fast 505 first and let us know your findings.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2084 upvotes
DdBigs wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 4:32 pm
yeah I'm pissed but at this point what can I do. That's why I'm here trying to figure out the best solution. The only part that doesn't make it that bad is it only stuck to the plastic and mostly in the wheel well.

They said its stuck in the clear coat and they can just sand out the clear coat and not the paint. But yeah I'm not sure about that so thats why I ask. I do have to say I don't know much about this stuff but it does look like its in there. I am not sure any cleaner can take it off but I don't know much.
DO NOT SAND the clear coat. That is option Z. You have a limited amount of clear and once you sand it, it's gone. Chances are it's just lightly adhered if it's tire dressing. A chemical solution (APC first then bug and tar remover) is the first option. Failing that you can go mechanical (clay first, then polish failing that). If the dealer made the mess, chances are they also do not know how to remove it.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10391 posts
602 upvotes
Brampton
Try bug+tar remover 1st. It works. Let it soak for an hour or 2 or whatever the directions says.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11079 posts
6544 upvotes
Richmond Hill
LMAO at some of the suggestions.

Clay bar /thread
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1451 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
Any bug and tar remover? CT has the turtle was bug and tar or the goo gone?