Students

Not telling University about last University

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2015 1:45 pm
Mar 19, 2012
151 posts
47 upvotes

Not telling University about last University

I was wondering if it was possible to apply to another university without filling out my last education. I had good grades in high school but got academic suspension in university because of various circumstances.

I applied to another university but only filled out high school as my last education so my suspension and poor gpa doesn't show. I heard that universities only check if your education is correct if you apply for a loan, but I will be paying straight out of my bank account. So I was wondering if I could go through 4 years there without the university finding out?
17 replies
Apr 20, 2013
10 posts
That's not good, you need to report all academic activities. It's worst if you are caught lying on your application, so take the honest route. If you explain why you performed poorly and how you will amend the problem they will give you another chance. I did poorly my first year too, I literally failed all my one of my courses due to my own stupidity, but I wrote a 500 word letter explaining why I messed up and what I plan to do to change that. The more action items you add to your explanation the better. I ended up making the dean's list and am in the top 10% of my program now, so do it right and have a clear consciences.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
65 upvotes
They might check, they might not. I know that if you have a mysterious year or two of nothing after high school they sometimes check. On the bright side they'll only check after you get accepted and pay tuition, because they get to keep that if they find out.

This question has been asked before. Every school is different and it's a crap-shoot currently where you could put up time and $$$ and have nothing to show for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
ClasslessHipster wrote: I was wondering if it was possible to apply to another university without filling out my last education. I had good grades in high school but got academic suspension in university because of various circumstances.

I applied to another university but only filled out high school as my last education so my suspension and poor gpa doesn't show. I heard that universities only check if your education is correct if you apply for a loan, but I will be paying straight out of my bank account. So I was wondering if I could go through 4 years there without the university finding out?
You're on a good path for being blacklisted. You HAVE to disclose your marks. If they find out later on chances are you will be kicked out a second time. Don't take the chance.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
ClasslessHipster wrote: I was wondering if it was possible to apply to another university without filling out my last education. I had good grades in high school but got academic suspension in university because of various circumstances.

The worst thing that can happen is that you complete most of your degree only for them to blacklist you. I'd advise you against not disclosing all your marks.
Mar 19, 2012
151 posts
47 upvotes
yinyangman wrote: That's not good, you need to report all academic activities. It's worst if you are caught lying on your application, so take the honest route. If you explain why you performed poorly and how you will amend the problem they will give you another chance. I did poorly my first year too, I literally failed all my one of my courses due to my own stupidity, but I wrote a 500 word letter explaining why I messed up and what I plan to do to change that. The more action items you add to your explanation the better. I ended up making the dean's list and am in the top 10% of my program now, so do it right and have a clear consciences.
I'll try that.

Should I send the letter before I give my transcript or after?
And Do I give the letter to the registar or hand it to someone else? And who to write to, the Dean?

Also do Universities look at the cumulative GPA or only the GPA of the courses that transfer?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3075 posts
7294 upvotes

See this post admitted-then-rejected-1328554/2/#post16689888 and decide if you want to risk it. :facepalm:
Apr 20, 2013
10 posts
ClasslessHipster wrote: I'll try that.

Should I send the letter before I give my transcript or after?
And Do I give the letter to the registar or hand it to someone else? And who to write to, the Dean?

Also do Universities look at the cumulative GPA or only the GPA of the courses that transfer?
It's been a couple of years since I wrote my letter, but I think I sent my letter after my submitted OUAC application was confirmed. I go to York, so it went to the Office of Admissions as they are the ones that will review your application.

York University
Office of Admissions
Bennett Centre for Student Services
99 Ian MacDonald Blvd
Toronto, ON, CANADA M3J 1P3

They will look at everything, academic and non-academic activities to determine what you've done since your suspension. They need it to basically assess why you got suspended in the first place and to see if you've done anything to resolve these problems. If you worked/volunteered or took a few classes, add it to the letter and explain how these endeavours would help you succeed if you got reinstated. They like seeing tangible proof above all else. And because you are applying at a new university they will give you a clean slate, your previous marks won't count towards your new program of choice. However, they will start you off in a non-Honours program, but that really doesn't matter. After first year you can change it back to Honours if you meet the requisites.

Best of luck!
Mar 19, 2012
151 posts
47 upvotes
yinyangman wrote: It's been a couple of years since I wrote my letter, but I think I sent my letter after my submitted OUAC application was confirmed. I go to York, so it went to the Office of Admissions as they are the ones that will review your application.

York University
Office of Admissions
Bennett Centre for Student Services
99 Ian MacDonald Blvd
Toronto, ON, CANADA M3J 1P3

They will look at everything, academic and non-academic activities to determine what you've done since your suspension. They need it to basically assess why you got suspended in the first place and to see if you've done anything to resolve these problems. If you worked/volunteered or took a few classes, add it to the letter and explain how these endeavours would help you succeed if you got reinstated. They like seeing tangible proof above all else. And because you are applying at a new university they will give you a clean slate, your previous marks won't count towards your new program of choice. However, they will start you off in a non-Honours program, but that really doesn't matter. After first year you can change it back to Honours if you meet the requisites.

Best of luck!
I actually haven't been suspended yet. I just finished exams last week and I'm 100% sure my gpa is 1.00 or below. My University will probably take a few months to suspend me.
I have to send in my transcript to the other University by early next month. The problem is, I will send in a transcript with a low GPA then the University will later find out I'm academically suspended.
I also know Universities want you to take at least 1 year off before you apply again after suspension.

I doubt I could write anything that says I've done anything to resolve those issues a few days after I've finished my exams. Do you have any other advice that could help me? Otherwise I will probably stick with my original plan..
Apr 10, 2012
21 posts
3 upvotes
Truthfully, if you're having issues in university taking a year to go see the real world is not a bad thing at all. Most times, when your failing uni the first time around you are doing something wrong. Personally, I found that after I graduated from uni, went out and saw the world a bit, that I felt far more motivated to study than I ever did while I was in school. Now going back to school to pursue other degrees with a much greater sense of motivation and purpose.

Finally, don't lie about having been suspended. Universities can and will take away your future degrees if they found out you have lied about something in the past. And having worked hard for 4 years it would royally suck if they take it away. Just remember, walls have ears and people in the real world can be real a**holes.
May 30, 2015
1 posts
Vancouver, BC
Sorry for bumping this post after 2 years. OP, I am curious about your current situation. Did you get the offer from the school you applied?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
My friend did that, she partied all of first year and was kicked out. Applied to another Uni years later with just her HS grades and got accepted.
Aug 7, 2011
139 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Swswswish wrote: My friend did that, she partied all of first year and was kicked out. Applied to another Uni years later with just her HS grades and got accepted.
They can take her degree away for applying under false pretenses if she is ever caught.
Jul 28, 2008
914 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Don't see any reason why they'd check, you're paying tuition, I'd say you're probably good but there's always a small chance.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Respects wrote: They can take her degree away for applying under false pretenses if she is ever caught.
No, only if there is misrepresentation - I don't think omissions would be enough to have a degree revoked especially if the person completed his/her courses fair and square.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
Respects wrote: They can take her degree away for applying under false pretenses if she is ever caught.
The University would have a hard time winning that in court.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Nov 7, 2011
865 posts
919 upvotes
British Columbia
Hydropwnics wrote: The University would have a hard time winning that in court.
I have a friend who lied about having a degree and is working a great job. My guess is if you managed to complete a degree and they took it back on a technicality - but you had all the proof
you had the degree and went to the school - you could probably still get a job and be less of a fraud then my friend...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)