Not tipping your hairstylist

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2019 3:05 pm
Jan 13, 2007
603 posts
24 upvotes
North York

Not tipping your hairstylist

My cut is $10 (tax in) and only lasts 15min max.

Note that I do return every 1.5 weeks so I was hoping the frequency of my visits offsets the need to tip anymore. Used to always tip $2 more.

Is it necessary to tip still... thoughts? How would the salon view this/react?
43 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13283 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
If they do a good job, tip. If not, no tip.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
I tip my barber and always have. She also takes me in on very short notice, is quick and does a good job. I'm happy so I tip. Totally a personally thing though so..
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Jan 13, 2017
12 posts
11 upvotes
Burquitlam
If it's a good haircut, i'd tip. It shows that you appreciate their time and work--you don't necessarily need to tip during every visit. Unless they're the business owner they're not getting 100% of the money.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
My haircut Is also 10 dollars (tax in as well), I usually gave 15 dollars in total
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Still tip if it's in their home?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
yesstyle wrote: Still tip if it's in their home?
A tip to the CRA...LOL!
Jul 25, 2015
912 posts
734 upvotes
$10 for a haircut? What is this 1995?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
Sinasta wrote: $10 for a haircut? What is this 1995?
surprised? this is RFD
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2759 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It's only $2. You're being petty. You might think it's okay not to tip but people that depends on tipping to offset their minimum wage will most likely talk crap behind your back to others. The consequence is others will have a negative connotation of you as a cheap moron. So the next time you're thinking of not tipping, just ask yourself if it's worth it to damage your reputation over $2. I've seen this happen in the restaurant industry too often. The servers don't make enough to tip out their kitchen or busers at the end of the day will tell them this or that person didn't tip and they were high maintenance. That's just my view. If you still don't want to tip, that's your choice.
[solicitation removed]
Jan 13, 2007
603 posts
24 upvotes
North York
NixxonExxo wrote: It's only $2. You're being petty. You might think it's okay not to tip but people that depends on tipping to offset their minimum wage will most likely talk crap behind your back to others. The consequence is others will have a negative connotation of you as a cheap moron. So the next time you're thinking of not tipping, just ask yourself if it's worth it to damage your reputation over $2. I've seen this happen in the restaurant industry too often. The servers don't make enough to tip out their kitchen or busers at the end of the day will tell them this or that person didn't tip and they were high maintenance. That's just my view. If you still don't want to tip, that's your choice.
I agree and I'm aware of this. Again, I'm taking into account the $ value of tip as a % of the cost of service (20% on $10) which seems extremely high considering the cut is only 5-10mins most times. The $2 I save each time would get me a "free" cut every 2 months as I go every other week. I also want to be weary of recognizing that once I start tipping I can't go back to not tipping. That would lead to far more negative sentiments.

Two solutions to this:
1) Tip each time but go less frequently.
2) Salon raises their price to match rising labour costs. However, this may put them at a competitive disadvantage especially in Markham/Scarborough where most salons focus on convenience. To be honest, I don't believe these moms and pops salons report based on proper accounting practices so they're still netting significant margin on inexpensive lease.
Jan 13, 2007
603 posts
24 upvotes
North York
UPDATE: Thought about this a bit more and feeling guilt-free now not tipping when you consider their turn rate is 3-4 haircuts per hour. The tip from all you generous RFDers would more than compensate for the lack of mine. Based on these economics, they could generate as much as $20 in tip (assuming $5 tip per cut) which would net more than a traditional barber who charges $30+$10 tip/hour of service... that's insane!! +1 to the moms and pops shops on this highly profitable business model!
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13283 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hey, you're welcome! We LOOOOOVE to pick up your slack!
Geelee wrote: UPDATE: Thought about this a bit more and feeling guilt-free now not tipping when you consider their turn rate is 3-4 haircuts per hour. The tip from all you generous RFDers would more than compensate for the lack of mine. Based on these economics, they could generate as much as $20 in tip (assuming $5 tip per cut) which would net more than a traditional barber who charges $30+$10 tip/hour of service... that's insane!! +1 to the moms and pops shops on this highly profitable business model!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
One thing to consider regarding mom and pop shop is that tips are meant to be for workers not for owners. So if the person providing the service owns the place you are not obliged to tip. Actually you shouldn't. Even though most still do...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
My haircut costs $20.
I give him $40.

It's a good haircut.

I also spend 5 hours to get to him.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Aug 12, 2012
878 posts
437 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm happy to tip a good barber. If tipping your server at a restaurant 20% is the norm, then I feel a barber should get a lot more. They're with you the whole time, keeping the conversation interesting and (hopefully) making you feel better about yourself by the time you leave. If it's a good experience, definitely tip.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mine is 20$ but because it takes places in his own home, 0$ tip
Sep 27, 2015
306 posts
199 upvotes
Pickering, ON
mine is $25 - I tip $2 to the owner...should I stop then?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21784 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is $25. I give $5 or $10 in tips depending how good it is.