• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2014 4:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3286 posts
1276 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: I don't care for iOS products much and prefer Android. I still wouldn't use any Samsung product with Touchwiz on it.
using Note 3 with Nova, nobody forces you to use TW...
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Keep in mind that Note 4 has a bigger higer res (quad HD) screen in a smaller package.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3815 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote: using Note 3 with Nova, nobody forces you to use TW...
+1! I was going to suggest this. Nova is simply amazing. The vast amount of features and configurations are mind boggling. I can see why a lot iOS users might shy away from using android launchers. Once you grasp the power you can create a truly unique experience for yourself.
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
bobbings wrote: When i5 came out, everyone was ripping it saying it's only longer. Remember all those light saber pictures from Star Wars that kept showing up? Many people switched to Samsung or Anrdoid devices for the sole reason of having a bigger screen. Now that Apple has a screen size similar to the note line, everyone starts complaining it's too big. I guess you can't please everyone.

Personally I've tried out Android and was not a fan of the complexity. I just want a phone to surf, stream, text and very light gaming. Iphone does it for me and I'm sure the android can offer more with the option to customize but I'm not big on customization. I stuck with Apple also for the simplicity to just sync my data from i4 to i5 and now to i6+. Very easy and user friendly.
The complexity and vast customization of Android OS is indeed the biggest difference.
People like ease of use and user friendly.
Can't say that Android is user friendly. I am a heavy modder who likes to root and customize/tweak every aspect of my Note 3.
Coke vs Pepsi
Honda vs Toyota
Etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3286 posts
1276 upvotes
Pro wrote: +1! I was going to suggest this. Nova is simply amazing. The vast amount of features and configurations are mind boggling. I can see why a lot iOS users might shy away from using android launchers. Once you grasp the power you can create a truly unique experience for yourself.
and they are also constantly updating and improving the Nova experience as well. I am far from biggest customizing person in the world but I love the things you can do with it, you don't get that with IOS. Adding widgets, etc, is easy once you grasp it..I was frustrated at first but soon as I caught on, it's a breeze and I am likely not even using it to full capabilities.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3286 posts
1276 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: The complexity and vast customization of Android OS is indeed the biggest difference.
Can't say that Android is user friendly. I am a heavy modder who likes to root and customize/tweak every aspect of my Note 3.
Coke vs Pepsi
Honda vs Toyota
Etc.
I agree, and that is what I tell people in forums, or if they ask me what phone system I have. I am furthest from being a genius and if I can figure things out anybody can, lol..
Feb 4, 2013
24 posts
5 upvotes
Maple
Both are great.

I would caution against Phonearena's reviews since they don't release their testing procedures, I would use this site instead: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8559/ipho ... ry-results - it's more highly regarded and very transparent on how the tests are run.

There's a general misconception with specs. I wouldn't look at specs and just assume that better specs mean a better product. Your purpose and phone use determine how those specs come into play. People complaining about 1gb of ram must understand the purpose of it, same with extra core processors. A lot of the typical work/usages done on a phone are single threaded, multiple cores will just use up battery life (same with extra RAM). However, if you're playing a game, these extra specs will definitely be a huge benefit. Take a look at the preliminary results in the link I shared, you can see how an iPhone lacks in game (physics and 3D), but excel in battery life and browsing speeds. What's important to you?

All in all, both are great phone choices though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: The complexity and vast customization of Android OS is indeed the biggest difference.
Coke vs Pepsi
Honda vs Toyota
Etc.
+1

It all comes down to personal preference. I don't think any one of the OS is better than the other. I have a nexus 7 tablet and I feel there's so much I can do to it but I just don't have the urge to go and mod it the way I want. Having said that, my personal preference is having one device for everything which is why my nexus 7 and iPad 2 has been sitting on my night table collecting dust. The i6 does it for me. Only thing I need and already have is a water proof camera lol
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
bobbings wrote: +1

It all comes down to personal preference. I don't think any one of the OS is better than the other. I have a nexus 7 tablet and I feel there's so much I can do to it but I just don't have the urge to go and mod it the way I want. Having said that, my personal preference is having one device for everything which is why my nexus 7 and iPad 2 has been sitting on my night table collecting dust. The i6 does it for me. Only thing I need and already have is a water proof camera lol
+1

I have an iPhone and a Nexus 7 (2012). My biggest frustration with Android was the lack of apps and app compatibility, but things are getting much better now.

I bought the Nexus to try out the customization aspect of Android but honestly, I've never even had the urge to figure out even what a "launcher" is. I haven't rooted it, it has been stock since day 1. And I still don't understand widgets either. It does what I need it to do: RFD, Twitter, Facebook, YouTUBE, surf the web without any customization.

I stopped jailbreaking my iPhone for proper multi-tasking after iOS7 was released.

edit: I stuck with an iPhone when upgrading to the 5S because I prefer the smaller size.

:arrowd: you don't even have to go as "complicated" as downloading a launcher. Android is great right out of the box. And iOS is getting pretty confusing these days to tell you the truth.
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
Coke vs Pepsi
Honda vs Toyota
Etc.
I've always wondered why people keep saying that Android is more complex and harder to use than IOS is?? Just because you have the OPTION to customize alot of aspects of your phone doesn't mean you MUST do so. It simply means that the option is always there if you want to in the future mess around with your Android phone.

If you're not interested much in customization, then as listed above the easiest thing you can do is just go to the Android market, download a launcher that customizes the interface to your liking and leave it at that. You don't have to do anything else to enjoy your Android phone. If however you want to try doing something more down the road, then the option is there for you to do so unlike with an Apple phone.

The bottom line is with Apple what you see is what you get. With Android you can CHOOSE to leave your phone stock or customize as little or as much as you like. And also with most Android phones I like the fact that you can easily remove the battery and add or change an sd card anytime you like. So for these reasons and a few others, I chose Android and have stuck with them ever since.
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
Andrew765 wrote: +1

I have an iPhone and a Nexus 7 (2012). My biggest frustration with Android was the lack of apps and app compatibility, but things are getting much better now.

I bought the Nexus to try out the customization aspect of Android but honestly, I've never even had the urge to figure out even what a "launcher" is. I haven't rooted it, it has been stock since day 1. And I still don't understand widgets either. It does what I need it to do: RFD, Twitter, Facebook, YouTUBE, surf the web without any customization.

I stopped jailbreaking my iPhone for proper multi-tasking after iOS7 was released.
Is there really a lack of apps? Seems like there's too many at times. IE alot of apps that do the same thing, but a number of them are crap and you have to sometimes search for abit until you find one that works the way you want it to.

Also a launcher is simply your user interface for your phone. Just download one from the market and see how it makes your phone look different than stock and at times changes how you use your phone too. And widgets are simply shortcuts that perform a function on your Android desktop. Normal shortcuts are just shortcuts that lead to an app. IE if you want to access your picture app quickly then you add a shortcut to your Android desktop and press that instead of searching for your picture app everytime in your app drawer. A widget is an app that does something. Like if you add a weather widget on your desktop, then that widget will tell you the current weather. Or if you have a clock widget then it will tell you the time. etc.

Not too difficult to figure these things out at all. Just research abit and you can make your phone even better. :)
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm more of a BlackBerry (BB10)fan but I have some experience with both ios and android if that's what you are comparing.

Short answer is I would pick the note. Besides my BlackBerry z30 I also have a note2. While I like the device I find android has a larger learning curve. It has so many features (just go and watch a youtube video on the s pen). If you want ease of use with almost no learning curve then get the iPhone.
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Oct 11, 2007
499 posts
399 upvotes
Montreal
I've used the Note 3 for 10 months and loved it. I am now using the iphone 6+ for 5 days and also love it. If I had to choose only one, the Note 4 would be my choice.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
MaximDude wrote: Is there really a lack of apps? Seems like there's too many at times. IE alot of apps that do the same thing, but a number of them are crap and you have to sometimes search for abit until you find one that works the way you want it to.

Also a launcher is simply your user interface for your phone. Just download one from the market and see how it makes your phone look different than stock and at times changes how you use your phone too. And widgets are simply shortcuts that perform a function on your Android desktop. Normal shortcuts are just shortcuts that lead to an app. IE if you want to access your picture app quickly then you add a shortcut to your Android desktop and press that instead of searching for your picture app everytime in your app drawer. A widget is an app that does something. Like if you add a weather widget on your desktop, then that widget will tell you the current weather. Or if you have a clock widget then it will tell you the time. etc.

Not too difficult to figure these things out at all. Just research abit and you can make your phone even better. :)
Well, The Google play store does have more apps than the Apple app store now but the problem is Google quality control sucks. So many useless junk/crap apps that don't do what they advertise it to do. As an Android user, I do admire Apple's commitment to filter out junk in their store.
Jan 19, 2011
982 posts
322 upvotes
Montreal
if you're planning to put your phablet in your pocket, do not get the iphone 6 or 6+
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
supkhoa1 wrote: if you're planning to put your phablet in your pocket, do not get the iphone 6 or 6+
Correction. It's do not wear tight pants and put your phone in its pant pockets.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 19, 2011
982 posts
322 upvotes
Montreal
bobbings wrote: Correction. It's do not wear tight pants and put your phone in its pant pockets.
you are right sir. i mostly wear jeans and mine aren't tight but they fit... i'm not the loose fit or baggy pant wearing type. didn't think of it.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Android, esp Samsung, is always ahead by a step, if not more. The main difference i see between Note 4 and IP6 is that the Note 4 isn't wrapped in a fancy shiny shell.

If you want simplicity/looks (i.e. you are technologically challenged), go for IP6
If you want technology, go for the Note 4
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3286 posts
1276 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Well, The Google play store does have more apps than the Apple app store now but the problem is Google quality control sucks. So many useless junk/crap apps that don't do what they advertise it to do. As an Android user, I do admire Apple's commitment to filter out junk in their store.
they are starting to control this...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)