• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2019 12:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 30, 2019
31 posts
4 upvotes

Note 9 help

Just got the note 9 today, previous apple user. So android all new to me. Problem is when i go to send a video i made by text msg it gets all distotred and is terrible. Even you tske it and viee the video its amazing. Any ideas what could casue this?
Last edited by MrWalker on Feb 17th, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3615 posts
829 upvotes
GTA
This is normal. It's because you tried sending a video through text MMS. MMS is subject to a file size limit and compression. You're used to using iMessage which uses data so it's not subject to the same limitations.

You'll have to use an alternative messenger that uses data with your friends/family. Something like WhatsApp, Signal, WeChat, etc.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15521 posts
5808 upvotes
Oakville
Yup, what @Dave98 said. Note that all your Android friends that you ever sent videos to via text would *always* have seen video that looked like that, even when you were on the iPhone. :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 1, 2009
939 posts
287 upvotes
MrWalker wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:03 am
Strike one for AndroidThumbs Down Sign
Really? You know it's not an android feature right?
MMS compression is set by the carriers itself.
The only way around it is by using 3rd party app. (whatsapp, messenger etc)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15521 posts
5808 upvotes
Oakville
More like strike one for Apple, taking iMessage and integrating it with their messaging app and fooling iPhone users into thinking that they're sending high quality videos to their Android friends. :P

Platform agnostic messaging apps are better than SMS/MMS any way. Some phones' default SMS apps don't even support group messages properly! The only problem is finding one that everybody can agree on. I'm stuck across Viber, Whatsapp and FB Messenger right now. :/
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 1, 2009
939 posts
287 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:29 am
More like strike one for Apple, taking iMessage and integrating it with their messaging app and fooling iPhone users into thinking that they're sending high quality videos to their Android friends. :P

Platform agnostic messaging apps are better than SMS/MMS any way. Some phones' default SMS apps don't even support group messages properly! The only problem is finding one that everybody can agree on. I'm stuck across Viber, Whatsapp and FB Messenger right now. :/
I agree with the last thing you said.
If only we can agree one messaging platform & call it a day.
Unfortunately every app offers something different.
BBM anyone? /s
[OP]
Jan 30, 2019
31 posts
4 upvotes
Android have no back Button? When I go on a site and click on it, I can't go back to it. Apple has back and forward pages.

Sos
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1041 posts
361 upvotes
Calgary
MrWalker wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:11 pm
Android have no back Button? When I go on a site and click on it, I can't go back to it. Apple has back and forward pages.

Sos
Back button is the left arrow on the bottom (right side by default, though you can swap it to the left side). Why duplicate functions when the OS provides a convenient Back button that's actually already accessible everywhere?

Sounds like you'll just need to get used to how Android does things. It is different from iOS, but if all you're thinking about is "it doesn't work like my old iPhone" then you'll be disappointed.

(If you're using the latest update (known as "One UI" then I strongly suggest starting off using the navigation bar instead of gestures - even if you had an iPhone X before. That way you'll get used to how Android navigation works).
[OP]
Jan 30, 2019
31 posts
4 upvotes
Would you pick note 9 or apple xr?

Which is the best?

Android has lot of adds and extra stuff on it, apple is clean.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1132 posts
735 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
I have the Note 9 and love it, but that's just me, and "best" is very subjective. Spec wise, the Note 9 blows the XR away, but if you're already deep in the Apple ecosystem, it doesn't make much sense to pick up an Android now.

Also I get the feeling you're not very happy with your Note 9 since you're so used to iOS, is there any reason you picked up an Android?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2548 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
Hardware wise Note 9 is definitely way superior than the XR. I'm sure you will get used to Android, just give it some time to adjust.
[OP]
Jan 30, 2019
31 posts
4 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:06 pm
I have the Note 9 and love it, but that's just me, and "best" is very subjective. Spec wise, the Note 9 blows the XR away, but if you're already deep in the Apple ecosystem, it doesn't make much sense to pick up an Android now.

Also I get the feeling you're not very happy with your Note 9 since you're so used to iOS, is there any reason you picked up an Android?
I like the pen on the note 9 thought I give android a try. "Does any one have a Samsung account as well, so much stuff on here wow.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1132 posts
735 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Fair enough. Don't worry about the Samsung account for now if you don't really need any of their specific features. Just watch some videos and get used to how Android works. Give it two weeks and it'll feel much more natural.