• Sep 17th, 2018 11:38 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 31, 2002
371 posts
35 upvotes
Winnipeg

Note 9, S9+, or P20 Pro

I am looking for a phone replacement from my Zenfone 2. I have been reading lots on these models : Note 9, S9+, or P20 Pro. No iphone.

No Contract, and on Fido Tablet SIMS (2 SIMS to achieve 6GB). Voip.ms with Zoiper.

I am not planning to get on a contract that will tie me down on high monthly payments. Anyway, I observed these phones are too new and Telco company do not always have a stable outright price. S9+ sometimes selling at 1300+ and sometimes 1099. P20 pro sometimes at 1049, and some at 999.

Anyone looking for similar type phones and getting better deal i.e. Koodoo contract buy out...etc. I am looking for overall price if contract were to be bought out.

Bright Screen on Samsungs are nice. Aren't these battery drainer?
Is the P20 Pro that much better than S9 / S9+? When I read forums and social media. I see people moving from other phones S9 included into P20 Pro and appeared content. People using S9/S9+ also content, but they are not coming from P20 Pro. I am asking this because Huawei is new and trying to break through the Americas with this flagship. I want to ensure not too many fake reviews out there.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17209 posts
1509 upvotes
Woodbridge
I had the S9+ and wasn't happy with the battery life so I sold it after a month.

I love everything about the Note 9, blue 128GB. Obviously battery life is much better so decide if the premium price is worth it but then again I got $200 off and the pre-order buds so I'm okay with the price.

My P20 Pro is coming and clearly much cheaper and still includes an IR Blaster. If I didn't have the Note I would pick the Pro over 9+. My only complaint on the Huawei is resale.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1982 posts
206 upvotes
York
I just picked up the P20 Pro myself, the things I value the most are a great camera and battery life which is why I decided on the Huawei this time. I had a S8+ previously and was just kinda tired of the Samsung UI even though I use Nova Launcher. The S9+ and Note 9 have all the features you need for sure but the battery life seemed subpar on the S9+ and the camera isn't as flexible as the new triple camera option. The Note 9 is a superb phone but it's a little expensive for me and more ackward to hold in one hand as its more square then the other two options. But then you get the s-pen which can be handy if you find a need for it.

You just have to pick the option that works best for you if money is not an issue.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Feb 2, 2013
74 posts
35 upvotes
...You decided on the P20 Pro but spent most of your post discussing other phones. How about a few words for us on the P20?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17209 posts
1509 upvotes
Woodbridge
I was supposed to get it last night but missed the delivery and the UPS pick up location is closed on the weekends.

I'm upset because it's my weekend off too so it will have to wait until Monday.

Not doubting anything, I had last year's model and my only complaint is just the resale. I'm not a fan of their OS but Nova Prime solves everything.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Mar 8, 2017
42 posts
11 upvotes
I am also in the same situation as yours.

I want to buy a phone outright as I'm on the $60 plan with telus.

I'm leaning towards the P20 Pro but I'd like to get some feedback from others who own the phone.

I would like a smart phone for whatsapp, google maps (navigation), social media apps, & that's about it.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4789 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto
bcprimetime wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 5:22 pm
I am also in the same situation as yours.

I want to buy a phone outright as I'm on the $60 plan with telus.

I'm leaning towards the P20 Pro but I'd like to get some feedback from others who own the phone.

I would like a smart phone for whatsapp, google maps (navigation), social media apps, & that's about it.
Any cheap smart phones can do all that plus more. Maybe a p20 lite?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1982 posts
206 upvotes
York
yesstyle wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 8:07 pm
Any cheap smart phones can do all that plus more. Maybe a p20 lite?
+1. I have the Pro and am very happy with it. If you want one of if not the best in terms of camera quality and flexibility of shooting then it's a great option. The Kirin 970 runs everything very smoothly and I have been getting 2 day battery life which I think is great. It will do anything you throw at it and do it better then most. It's also fairly cheap on a plan compared to the other flagships.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6058 posts
4447 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
bembol wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:28 pm
I had the S9+ and wasn't happy with the battery life so I sold it after a month.

I love everything about the Note 9, blue 128GB. Obviously battery life is much better so decide if the premium price is worth it but then again I got $200 off and the pre-order buds so I'm okay with the price.

My P20 Pro is coming and clearly much cheaper and still includes an IR Blaster. If I didn't have the Note I would pick the Pro over 9+. My only complaint on the Huawei is resale.
Ir blaster on the P20 Pro is why it will be my next phone when I pick it up used. Plus the camera and big battery...all good!
Nov 4, 2003
570 posts
45 upvotes
I have the P20 pro and the Note 9. In terms of camera and battery life, the P20 wins hands down. I tend to shoot things in auto mode most of the time and the AI "feature" on the P20 turns out mostly good pictures IMO. The Note 9 has the bigger and better screen however the battery life isn't close to what im getting with the Huawei though still alot better than the S8+ i had before i traded it in. Software wise, Huawei has toned down a lot of closing apps in the background but it still happens. You need to dig through the settings to turn off the "battery optimization" for the app. If the 3.5mm jack is important to you and $ isn't a factor, go for the note 9 otherwise the P20 pro is a great option.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17209 posts
1509 upvotes
Woodbridge
cartfan123 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:42 am
Ir blaster on the P20 Pro is why it will be my next phone when I pick it up used. Plus the camera and big battery...all good!
It's the reason why I wanted it. LOL

If Twilight was available here when it launched I would've bought it but I saved a lot with the delay.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4789 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto
Blue7thGen wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 9:49 am
I have the P20 pro and the Note 9. In terms of camera and battery life, the P20 wins hands down. I tend to shoot things in auto mode most of the time and the AI "feature" on the P20 turns out mostly good pictures IMO. The Note 9 has the bigger and better screen however the battery life isn't close to what im getting with the Huawei though still alot better than the S8+ i had before i traded it in. Software wise, Huawei has toned down a lot of closing apps in the background but it still happens. You need to dig through the settings to turn off the "battery optimization" for the app. If the 3.5mm jack is important to you and $ isn't a factor, go for the note 9 otherwise the P20 pro is a great option.
for me, p20 pro's batt life has been the same as my previous s8+. Cam quality is really subjective. Over aggressive sharpening leading to oil-painting like pics. Also, p20 pro also needs you to hold the phone still for a couple seconds, which i find annoying.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)