• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 12:34 am
[OP]
Jan 14, 2007
395 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto

Note taking with tablet

I would like to take notes in class using a tablet with a stylus (hand writing). I know surface pro and the likes can do it but I don't have the $$$ to buy one. What would you guys recommend or have used that works well at a reasonable price. I don't even mind getting a used one.

thank you.
9 replies
Oct 15, 2009
285 posts
114 upvotes
I think you'll find this is a bad idea and less practical than you imagine.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2507 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
You can just buy a small cheap drawing tablet and connect it to your laptop. Works pretty good, just put it on top of the keyboard and use those very short usb cables to connect.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Mar 6, 2015
228 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
osuman wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:17 pm
You can just buy a small cheap drawing tablet and connect it to your laptop. Works pretty good, just put it on top of the keyboard and use those very short usb cables to connect.
toguy wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:44 pm
Just buy one of these (it's only $30), rather than an expensive tablet that later you may find out you don't use for taking notes:

https://www.amazon.ca/Boogie-Board-eWri ... B010HWCEFY
Depending on how you treat your notes, can a cheap tablet save your notes to computer files? Can Boogie Board do the same?
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19188 posts
121807 upvotes
GTA
cybercavalier wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:33 pm
Depending on how you treat your notes, can a cheap tablet save your notes to computer files? Can Boogie Board do the same?
They are saved as PDF files that you can transfer to your PC. I don't know a whole lot on the specifics, but I used to know someone who used it. Check out their website for FAQs etc.:

https://www.myboogieboard.com/
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2507 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
cybercavalier wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:33 pm
Well I bought a drawing tablet from monoprice for around 65cad all in few years ago. It basically functions as a mouse, except it appears as a dot instead of the regular cursor.
I tried using it with OneNote just now, and it works very similar to Surface Pro which I own as well. The pen is pressure sensitive and the side buttons work as well. The eraser button is a bit glitchy though (probably because the pen was dropped a couple of times, or driver issues). Feels quite comfortable, too.

The tablet above looks too small to take notes imo. And probably won't be useful in annotating existing docs or pdfs.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
[OP]
Jan 14, 2007
395 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you everyone, I will look into these this weekend.

I also found out my dell 2 in 1 notebook might have the functionality as well.
Mar 6, 2015
228 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
rajojomanik wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 5:54 pm
Thank you everyone, I will look into these this weekend.
I also found out my dell 2 in 1 notebook might have the functionality as well.
To OP, may you also share your search into a onenote capable and cheap note taking device?