None
[OP]
May 6, 2006
287 posts
188 upvotes
Brampton

Notebook Shopping In Asia

Greetings all,

I am visiting Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing and Guangdong. Would like people's recommendations of which city is best for finding a laptop, namely Toshiba R835-P56X. It retails about $850 US. Google price searches don't have much success. If you have a location of a shopping area or store in mind please identify.

Thanks in advance.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1266 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
Out of those cities, Hong Kong would be your best bet for computers. However, you wouldn't be able to find the exact same model in Asia as computer models are often region specific. Then, you have to consider the operating system language. Machines in Hong Kong and China usually came pre-installed with Chinese Windows, not English. Also, you also have to live with having a Chinese keyboard, similar to our bilingual keyboard and different power plug. Warranty is also an issue here, you need to make sure it has coverage in Canada.

Computer prices in Canada aren't really out of line with the rest of the world. If you want to compare prices in Hong Kong, you can visit http://www.price.com.hk/category.php?c= ... nd=Toshiba to see their pricing.

Don't forget, you still have to declare and pay taxes when you come back to Canada.
[OP]
May 6, 2006
287 posts
188 upvotes
Brampton
bst wrote:
May 19th, 2011 11:19 am
Out of those cities, Hong Kong would be your best bet for computers. However, you wouldn't be able to find the exact same model in Asia as computer models are often region specific. Then, you have to consider the operating system language. Machines in Hong Kong and China usually came pre-installed with Chinese Windows, not English. Also, you also have to live with having a Chinese keyboard, similar to our bilingual keyboard and different power plug. Warranty is also an issue here, you need to make sure it has coverage in Canada.

Computer prices in Canada aren't really out of line with the rest of the world. If you want to compare prices in Hong Kong, you can visit http://www.price.com.hk/category.php?c= ... nd=Toshiba to see their pricing.

Don't forget, you still have to declare and pay taxes when you come back to Canada.

I am noticing even an AMD Vision P360 15" unit is running at $600 equivalent at a reputable chain inside a large city.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1133 upvotes
Montreal
The model in Asia are not known to be cheaper. But newer / advanced models IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6117 posts
846 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Hong Kong is your best bet at getting a legitimate laptop with proper OS and software installed. In mainland there's a higher risk of getting hacked versions instead. Also the authentic goods in China is actually quite expensive and probably more expensive than Canada.

Instead of the big store chains you might want to hit areas in Wan Chai or Sham Shui Po that sells strictly computer and parts. You need to do quite a bit of footwork comparing prices and going to store to store. If you have good haggling skills and speak the local language it would help tremendously.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Oct 26, 2010
904 posts
1249 upvotes
I don't really recommend getting it during your visit in Asia if you live in Canada.

I was stupid and thought there's at least some saving on tax since there's no tax in Hong Kong.

After I bought it back, I was charged tax on the laptop when I came back. Moreover, there was something wrong with the labtop and I couldn't get it fixed for free because the warranty was not covered in North America (it'd be free if I bring it back to Hong Kong =o=).

If there isn't a big difference between the Canada price & Hong Kong price, I'd rather get it here and play safe.
Oct 24, 2007
775 posts
28 upvotes
BC
Aren't electronics cheaper overall in North America?

I always find legit notebooks to be overpriced in Asia when compared with similar models in Canada/US.
Dec 23, 2010
451 posts
28 upvotes
gwn wrote:
May 19th, 2011 8:32 am
Greetings all,

I am visiting Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing and Guangdong. Would like people's recommendations of which city is best for finding a laptop, namely Toshiba R835-P56X. It retails about $850 US. Google price searches don't have much success. If you have a location of a shopping area or store in mind please identify.

Thanks in advance.

don't bother.

USA has the best prices.

Canadian prices are not bad compared to HK, even with HST.
Dec 23, 2010
451 posts
28 upvotes
gwn wrote:
May 19th, 2011 8:32 am
Greetings all,

Thanks in advance.

don't bother with china.

over there you can choose a computer first, then they give you a choice of nameplates.
they will even glue the nameplate for you right in front of your eyes.