Computers & Electronics

Notice of claimed copyright infringement

  • Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 12:53 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4152 posts
727 upvotes

Notice of claimed copyright infringement

I finally got the "Notice of claimed copyright infringement" email from [copyright enforcement representatives and law firm].

A quick Google search says that [copyright enforcement representatives] rely on people settling for low dollar amounts ($400-$1000) rather than going to court. But because Canadian ISPs won't provide the IP owner's info without a court order, [copyright enforcement representatives] would then need to file a court order. Alternatively, they can get the person's info when the person accesses the settlement URL with their unique login and password. Don't contact them and they won't know who you are, but this assumes that [copyright enforcement representatives] actually does hope for settlements rather than going to court.

What now?

Also, I'm surprised that I'm not finding much on this on Google. I guess Canadians really did stop all the downloading.

ADD:
The copyright enforcement representatives, law firm, email are legit. A quick Google search shows that Americans have been receiving the same notices for a while. It's just that I've only been able to find one other instance of a Canadian receiving the notice which surprises me.

The settlement offer has a expiration date. But the URL, login and password are unique and clicking the link would tell the [copyright enforcement representatives and law firm] that I read their email and they would have my IP.

VPN users are receiving notices as well, but the specified IP is their VPN IP. But the VPN provider is forwarding these notices so I don't know how that would work.
771 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 19, 2003
19054 posts
5948 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Ignore it, next time use a VPN in europe.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2002
4641 posts
1835 upvotes
I received one too but it is for something I didn't download...... They want $150 to settle. I'm not sure if this is a scam or real. Hard to find information on this.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Banned
Feb 26, 2015
160 posts
14 upvotes
This sounds like the latest not CRA emails phishing where people are being told they can settle for money they owe
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2002
4641 posts
1835 upvotes
People say just ignore it, but what are the chances they will actually come after you if you don't pay by the time they specified?
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
NightRain wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 8:33 am
People say just ignore it, but what are the chances they will actually come after you if you don't pay by the time they specified?
What are they going to do? Ruin your credit? Get a cop to come and get you? I think they are toothless.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2002
4641 posts
1835 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 7:53 am
I finally got the "Notice of claimed copyright infringement" email from [copyright enforcement representatives and law firm].

A quick Google search says that [copyright enforcement representatives] rely on people settling for low dollar amounts ($400-$1000) rather than going to court. But because Canadian ISPs won't provide the IP owner's info without a court order, [copyright enforcement representatives] would then need to file a court order. Alternatively, they can get the person's info when the person accesses the settlement URL with their unique login and password. Don't contact them and they won't know who you are, but this assumes that [copyright enforcement representatives] actually does hope for settlements rather than going to court.

What now?

Also, I'm surprised that I'm not finding much on this on Google. I guess Canadians really did stop all the downloading.

ADD:
The copyright enforcement representatives, law firm, email are legit. A quick Google search shows that Americans have been receiving the same notices for a while. It's just that I've only been able to find one other instance of a Canadian receiving the notice which surprises me.

The settlement offer has a expiration date. But the URL, login and password are unique and clicking the link would tell the [copyright enforcement representatives and law firm] that I read their email and they would have my IP.

VPN users are receiving notices as well, but the specified IP is their VPN IP. But the VPN provider is forwarding these notices so I don't know how that would work.
The weird part for me is that it was for something I didn't download.

Was yours for something you downloaded or not? What amount were they looking for?

I fear that if I pay it will open up a bunch of these types of requests because they will communicate "hey, this guy pays". I fear if I don't pay it will result in a larger amount. I'm not sure what to do. I'm considering calling them.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 19, 2003
19054 posts
5948 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
NightRain wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 8:33 am
People say just ignore it, but what are the chances they will actually come after you if you don't pay by the time they specified?
They don't even know who you are, how are they going to come after you. If they actually sue you the maximum damages are $5K and they are going to have a hell of a time getting any judge to hit you with anything close to that for casual personal downloading.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4152 posts
727 upvotes
NightRain wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 8:53 am
What amount were they looking for?

I fear that if I pay it will open up a bunch of these types of requests because they will communicate "hey, this guy pays". I fear if I don't pay it will result in a larger amount. I'm not sure what to do. I'm considering calling them.
I can only see the settlement offer amount if I go to their unique URL -- which will log my IP and let them know that I've received their copyright infringement notice and read their settlement offer. Like the other posters above have said about ignoring the notice(s), this is the sort of info that you don't want to tell them and thus I'm not clicking there.

Again, my bigger surprise is that there aren't more of these notices :P
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2002
4641 posts
1835 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 9:07 am
I can only see the settlement offer amount if I go to their unique URL -- which will log my IP and let them know that I've received their copyright infringement notice and read their settlement offer. Like the other posters above have said about ignoring the notice(s), this is the sort of info that you don't want to tell them and thus I'm not clicking there.

Again, my bigger surprise is that there aren't more of these notices :P
Well I did click on it. Wish I hadn't done that now. I wanted to see what it was they were claiming I downloaded and how much it was to settle.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
146 upvotes
NightRain wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 9:14 am
Well I did click on it. Wish I hadn't done that now. I wanted to see what it was they were claiming I downloaded and how much it was to settle.
Might be a good idea to post the link public (here perhaps) so that if they are loging it will be with the unwashed public, anyone or everyone. Might also be useful to post your ISP and claimed download title.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15379 posts
2283 upvotes
Toronto
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 9:07 am
I can only see the settlement offer amount if I go to their unique URL -- which will log my IP and let them know that I've received their copyright infringement notice and read their settlement offer. Like the other posters above have said about ignoring the notice(s), this is the sort of info that you don't want to tell them and thus I'm not clicking there.

Again, my bigger surprise is that there aren't more of these notices :P
Perhaps there haven't been more notices because the new rules came into effect on Jan 1/15.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3197 posts
320 upvotes
Mississauga
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 7:53 am
I finally got the "Notice of claimed copyright infringement" email from [copyright enforcement representatives and law firm].

A quick Google search says that [copyright enforcement representatives] rely on people settling for low dollar amounts ($400-$1000) rather than going to court. But because Canadian ISPs won't provide the IP owner's info without a court order, [copyright enforcement representatives] would then need to file a court order. Alternatively, they can get the person's info when the person accesses the settlement URL with their unique login and password. Don't contact them and they won't know who you are, but this assumes that [copyright enforcement representatives] actually does hope for settlements rather than going to court.

What now?

Also, I'm surprised that I'm not finding much on this on Google. I guess Canadians really did stop all the downloading.

ADD:
The copyright enforcement representatives, law firm, email are legit. A quick Google search shows that Americans have been receiving the same notices for a while. It's just that I've only been able to find one other instance of a Canadian receiving the notice which surprises me.

The settlement offer has a expiration date. But the URL, login and password are unique and clicking the link would tell the [copyright enforcement representatives and law firm] that I read their email and they would have my IP.

VPN users are receiving notices as well, but the specified IP is their VPN IP. But the VPN provider is forwarding these notices so I don't know how that would work.
what ISP do you have and where are you located?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2002
4641 posts
1835 upvotes
My ISP is Bell Aliant. They claimed I downloaded a xxx film. Which I didn't, what's the point of downloading these from torrents when there are thousands of sites with clips for free?
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Top