Cell Phones

Noticible difference between LTE and HSPA+?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2014 2:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3638 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto

Noticible difference between LTE and HSPA+?

Coming from someone who's been on a 3G for the longest time, my next phone will be LTE capable.

But if I sign up with a carrier that doesn't have LTE (read Wind Mobile), I'm wondering if there is a noticible difference?
Numbers suggest there's a huge gap, but what about real world usage?
Certainly not with texting, but surfing the internet and streaming video is something of concern.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5602 posts
3999 upvotes
GTA
Wind/mobilicity isn't exactly know for fast network speeds so yes you will notice a difference between them and rogers/bell/telus.
Mar 24, 2009
405 posts
47 upvotes
Warning about Wind, you may get terrible data speeds in urban centres. I just tested out Wind and in downtown Ottawa we could only get 1.8 mbps down and 1.2 mbps up. The rep told me that downtown is slow, but the suburbs is "fast". When I pressed her, she indicated that fast is 4 mbps...

Meanwhile my Rogers LTE account gets 55 mbps down and 22 mbps up.

They are not in the same league sadly.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
Deaks2 wrote: Warning about Wind, you may get terrible data speeds in urban centres. I just tested out Wind and in downtown Ottawa we could only get 1.8 mbps down and 1.2 mbps up. The rep told me that downtown is slow, but the suburbs is "fast". When I pressed her, she indicated that fast is 4 mbps...

Meanwhile my Rogers LTE account gets 55 mbps down and 22 mbps up.

They are not in the same league sadly.
What do you do on your phone that requires 55/22 mbit performance? Latency is an important factor in mobile data performance. This is one area that Wind has problems with. I find that as long as latency is reasonable, anywhere around 5 mbit is fast enough.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In the GTA (Scarborough, Markham, Richmond Hill) I generally get anywhere between 8Mbps and 14Mbps with Wind.

I was in Ottawa over the summer and god very solid speeds there as well (8-10Mbps).

Everywhere I've used Wind recently (past year or so) the PING times have been sub 50MS.

As far as difference between LTE & HSPA, I don't think you'll really notice the difference. I have a LTE device with TELUS and a WIND HSPA device, there's a difference, but not very noticeable (fraction of a second). But if you're going to download a large file, then you will notice the difference.
Mar 24, 2009
405 posts
47 upvotes
will888 wrote: What do you do on your phone that requires 55/22 mbit performance? Latency is an important factor in mobile data performance. This is one area that Wind has problems with. I find that as long as latency is reasonable, anywhere around 5 mbit is fast enough.
Remote desktop, not mention tethering with my notebook.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
Deaks2 wrote: Remote desktop, not mention tethering with my notebook.
And how many gigs of usage do you intend to use, how much usage does your wireless plan include? Can we have a show of hands, how many out there have 55/22 mbit home internet? Don't get me wrong, we would all love gigabit data speeds. I do think you have the bar raised a bit too high.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
In major urban centres, LTE is so slow that it's basically what HSPA should have been, but I think you'll still notice a difference.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
I disable LTE because I get a weak signal at work, but a fairly strong HSPA signal and I think the weak signal causes excessive battery drain. I just leave it off because I never miss the extra speed.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Deaks2 wrote: Remote desktop, not mention tethering with my notebook.
When I switched from HSPA to LTE, the only real difference I noticed on my smartphone was when running SpeedTest. LTE is supposed to provide lower latency (which is probably more important when comparing comparable speeds), but the device to tower latency might be just a small part of the total latency. Doesn't help much if I can ping my provider in 2ms instead of 5ms when it takes another 80ms to get to the remote server.

I've tethered quite a bit both on 3G and LTE connections, and decent 3G speeds are more than fast enough for browsing, e-mail, and even downloading/uploading. I sync up with remote servers, browse full website forums, remotely administer remote systems, etc., and the responsiveness isn't noticeably much different than on my home DSL connection.

On a side note, LTE speeds vary a lot. Right now I might get 8Mbps download speed. If I go up to the top of the mountain (must be a tower near there), I get 85Mbps. Downtown has a lot of swings in speed, depending on which part of the city I'm in.
Mar 24, 2009
405 posts
47 upvotes
will888 wrote: And how many gigs of usage do you intend to use, how much usage does your wireless plan include? Can we have a show of hands, how many out there have 55/22 mbit home internet? Don't get me wrong, we would all love gigabit data speeds. I do think you have the bar raised a bit too high.
I have a Rogers 6 GB/mo plan, regularly use 5-6 GB/mo. Home internet package is 350/350 Rogers fibre to the basement.
robertz wrote: When I switched from HSPA to LTE, the only real difference I noticed on my smartphone was when running SpeedTest. LTE is supposed to provide lower latency (which is probably more important when comparing comparable speeds), but the device to tower latency might be just a small part of the total latency. Doesn't help much if I can ping my provider in 2ms instead of 5ms when it takes another 80ms to get to the remote server.

I've tethered quite a bit both on 3G and LTE connections, and decent 3G speeds are more than fast enough for browsing, e-mail, and even downloading/uploading. I sync up with remote servers, browse full website forums, remotely administer remote systems, etc., and the responsiveness isn't noticeably much different than on my home DSL connection.

On a side note, LTE speeds vary a lot. Right now I might get 8Mbps download speed. If I go up to the top of the mountain (must be a tower near there), I get 85Mbps. Downtown has a lot of swings in speed, depending on which part of the city I'm in.
Agreed, however, I have noticed that my corporate content management system is really slow on remote desktop unless I have at least 15-20 mbps downstream bandwidth available.

To each his own.
Banned
Sep 12, 2014
349 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
will888 wrote: And how many gigs of usage do you intend to use, how much usage does your wireless plan include? Can we have a show of hands, how many out there have 55/22 mbit home internet? Don't get me wrong, we would all love gigabit data speeds. I do think you have the bar raised a bit too high.

Who doesnt have home internet speeds greater than that? Maybe not upload but download for sure unless you're still on aol
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
Yes there is noticeable difference.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
GodRFD wrote: Who doesnt have home internet speeds greater than that? Maybe not upload but download for sure unless you're still on aol
I don't, yet. Not sure that I need it.
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
GodRFD wrote: Who doesnt have home internet speeds greater than that? Maybe not upload but download for sure unless you're still on aol
:( I only have 25mbps at home.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1249 posts
349 upvotes
My Teksavvy home cable internet is 45mbps down 10mbps up. The fastest I get from my iPhone 6 on Rogers network at full bars is 87mbps down 38mbps up. Usually I get around 30mbps down 4mbps up on average so that is still quite a big jump from HSPA+.

Do I notice a difference? Heck yes... night and day difference IMO.
Oct 11, 2007
499 posts
399 upvotes
Montreal
When videotron started sharing Rogers LTE towers, my DL speed went from 15-25 mbps to 80-100 mbps. Upload similar jump from 5-10 to 30-40 mbps.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
mobifree wrote: In the GTA (Scarborough, Markham, Richmond Hill) I generally get anywhere between 8Mbps and 14Mbps with Wind.

I was in Ottawa over the summer and god very solid speeds there as well (8-10Mbps).

Everywhere I've used Wind recently (past year or so) the PING times have been sub 50MS.

As far as difference between LTE & HSPA, I don't think you'll really notice the difference. I have a LTE device with TELUS and a WIND HSPA device, there's a difference, but not very noticeable (fraction of a second). But if you're going to download a large file, then you will notice the difference.
My experience with Wind in Calgary has been the same as this. I have heard people complaining that they get crap reception in Downtown YYC, but everywhere else it's great. There is NO difference noticable to most normal people between the HSPA+ on wind and the LTE on rogers. I find my the pages in my browser, photo uploads, app downloads etc all load FASTER on Wind than they EVER did on Rogers. Only way to know is try it... I did and my whole family is now saving a pile of cash every month.