Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 18, 2008
685 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa

[Koodo] Koodo SIIx $100-$100GC+$150Tab

Nov 26: changed title to reflect end date at BB. Thanks to mods for moving from Expired.

Nov 26: the BB website now has this deal listed as expiring Dec 13/12. The $100GC offer has appeared and disappeared a couple of times but it's there as of 12:09pm Nov 26 EST :)

The BB page for generating a referral is here: https://www.bestbuyrewardzone.ca/en/referAFriend.jspx For me, it's ad #2 in the rotating banner ads.

Note that FS has this deal until Nov 29. But BB has better bonuses through RZ. [Added Nov 26: FS flyer (p4) has this phone for $100-$100GC+$150Tab but listing on FS website is $150-$100GC+$150Tab. YMMV.

[Added Nov 24: Here's another tip I forgot: when you activate in-store, ask the sales person to disable data on the account. I was worried that if I accidentally accessed data, I'd get hit for the first tier on the Flex Data plan. It probably wouldn't happen but I was nervous. If for some reason they wouldn't do it, I'd have pulled the SIM as soon as I left the store or even sooner (with data disabled I waited until I got home)]

Since it will come up later, note:

Cheapest unlocking code is from mobilexpresscanada.com ($15)
Some people buy an unlock service on eBay for less, it involves giving remote access to your PC
When unlocked, this phone will work on: Telus/Koodo, Bell/Virgin, Rogers/Fido, Wind, Mobilicity, Vidéotron, TMobile US (not LTE, for those networks with LTE). It also works on networks using those carriers, e.g. 7-11 Speakout, PetroCanada, etc.

New flyer is up now. Page 5. It's $99.99 plus $150 on the Tab. $100 GC makes this $150 net (plus tax, plus however many days service you have to pay, seems to be about 5). If you need and get a 403 area code, I think you'll pay only 5% GST on the Tab and on the service (local tax on the $100 out the door).

Get a referral for BB RewardZone and get a $25 credit. And $5 RZ credit for new activations.

Or try and price match to WalMart or Loblaws if you don't want BB credit.

Finally, looks like FS has the same deal until Nov 29 ($100-$100GC+$150Tab+a few days service).

=aw
1280 replies
Jun 21, 2011
292 posts
25 upvotes
aw1883 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 11:55 pm

Some people buy an unlock service on eBay for less, it involves giving remote access to your PC
When unlocked, this phone will work on: Telus/Koodo, Bell/Virgin, Rogers/Fido, Wind, Mobilicity, Vidéotron, TMobile US (not LTE, for those networks with LTE). It also works on networks using those carriers, e.g. 7-11 Speakout, PetroCanada, etc.

New flyer is up now. Page 5. It's $99.99 plus $150 on the Tab. $100 GC makes this $150 net (plus tax, plus however many days service you have to pay, seems to be about 5). If you need and get a 403 area code, I think you'll pay only 5% GST on the Tab and on the service (local tax on the $100 out the door).

Get a referral for BB RewardZone and get a $25 credit. And $5 RZ credit for new activations.

Finally, looks like FS has the same deal until Nov 29 ($100-$100GC+$150Tab+a few days service).

=aw

what do you mean by sign for an Alberta number? anyone did that b4?
:D :D :D :D :razz: :razz: :razz:
Sep 9, 2012
543 posts
93 upvotes
Edmonton
aw1883 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 11:55 pm

=aw
How does one get a price match from superstore or walmart?
Jun 21, 2011
292 posts
25 upvotes
imkinger wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 1:19 am
How does one get a price match from superstore or walmart?
YMMV, just head to mobile department
Jul 13, 2006
765 posts
26 upvotes
In the past RCSS/Loblaws has given the best deal for Koodo phones. Hence it might be a good idea to check the latest offers at RCSS before buying?
[OP]
Jan 18, 2008
685 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa
Naturally I only suggest it for those who want a 403 number, not as a way to pay less tax. ;)

Tax on cell service is based on the area code not the place you bought it. I bought a Public Mobile phone with 438 area code (new Montreal overlay) for a friend and the billing address is in Ontario. They charge GST+TVQ. I've bought a handset in Montreal and had a 613 area code (Ottawa). I paid GST+TVQ on the out the door price, and HST on the monthly service.

I can't find any definitive references online, but both the previous examples were exactly what I expected to happen.

=aw
Jun 21, 2011
292 posts
25 upvotes
I just used my $30 BB reward certificate.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2008
685 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa
Unlikely anyone's checked RCSS, the new flyer starts tomorrow. The Mobile Shop website is still down (!).

Personally I'd take $100 WM or Loblaws/RCSS over $100 BB just because I'm not a BB shopper. Getting the BB bonus to $130 or $155 (through RZ referring yourself) makes that a trickier calculation.

=aw
Jun 21, 2011
292 posts
25 upvotes
is getting an out-of-province cell number just a wish or feasible? call for some testimony
Aug 30, 2011
448 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
RCSS allows using the GC to $100 price unlike BB
Jun 21, 2011
292 posts
25 upvotes
aw1883 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 1:29 am
Unlikely anyone's checked RCSS, the new flyer starts tomorrow. The Mobile Shop website is still down (!).

Personally I'd take $100 WM or Loblaws/RCSS over $100 BB just because I'm not a BB shopper. Getting the BB bonus to $130 or $155 (through RZ referring yourself) makes that a trickier calculation.

=aw
I don't mind a BB GC, since I have $300 BB GC at hand. just exchange 1 for 1
[OP]
Jan 18, 2008
685 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa
Here's how CRA describes the tax situation:
The billing location is considered to be in a province if the fee for the call is charged or applied by a cellular service provider to an account of the subscriber that relates to a cell phone ordinarily located in the province. The CRA considers a cell phone to be ordinarily located in a province if the phone has a telephone number with an area code assigned to the province or a geographic area in the province.
IOW, the phone is "ordinarily located" where the area code is. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gr/news61/news61-e.html

=aw
[OP]
Jan 18, 2008
685 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa
wowwah wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 1:31 am
is getting an out-of-province cell number just a wish or feasible? call for some testimony
See my post #6. When you travel, sometimes you need an out-of-province number and/or you need to buy a handset somewhere other than where the account is based. Or you want to, because you're out of province and it's only $150 for an SIIx a couple of weeks ago and it might be out of stock when you get home. :)

=aw
Jun 21, 2011
292 posts
25 upvotes
aw1883 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 1:37 am
See my post #6. When you travel, sometimes you need an out-of-province number and/or you need to buy a handset somewhere other than where the account is based. Or you want to, because you're out of province and it's only $150 for an SIIx a couple of weeks ago and it might be out of stock when you get home. :)

=aw
let's make it simple, the S2x is for new activation only, then how to let BB register a new (403)? furthermore, can I request for a out-of-country number?
[OP]
Jan 18, 2008
685 posts
303 upvotes
Ottawa
You really doubt me don't you? ;)

When the BB guy is activating the account he's going to offer you some numbers. What if you said "I'm moving to Calgary I'd like a 403 number"?

As for out of country, sure you can get any country where Koodo offers device. IOW no of course not.

=aw
× < >