• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 11:58 am
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1401 posts
741 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:18 pm
I was looking at a $5 item on Walmart's website and noticed they allow free ship to a Canada Post outlet close to your home.
This beats the minimums in place to qualify for free shipping as well as the potential shipping costs for a $5 item exceeding the cost of the item.
They are probably copying Costco by selling higher online to cater for shipping costs.
Only a matter of time before this hits Canada.
The US is quite competitive and many online retailers give free shipping with no minimums.
Interesting... Did not know about Walmart & Canada Post.

Costco ... Sorry I disagree that their items are flat out more expensive on line. Over the years we've found several items online at Costco.ca either priced equal or less than in store, or even up against Amazon. And NO SHIPPING cost for most items.
Very happy shopping on line with Costco.ca
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1401 posts
741 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:20 pm
LL Bean is the gold standard for customer service in general. They go even further than free shipping to Canucks. They also collect duty/taxes at checkout so you're spared the usual UPS/FedEx et al extortion racket at the door. They also have a Canadian address for returns to spare the customer from all the customs and tax related hassles of doing returns. (If only they'd pay for return shipping to spare us from Canada Post's ridiculous small parcel rates...) They even let Canadians who bought stuff in the US (online or retail) and are now back home to return stuff to the Canadian address. And they're one of very few sellers who will take back stuff for any reason, including after a decade of use and heavy just because the customer thinks the product should have lasted even longer.

Then again LL Bean's prices are generally mid-range to higher so presumably they have more margin to work with in funding such liberal CS policies.
100% agree.

They are VERY WELCOMING to Cdns... Be that on line or in store.

I hear we are now an even BIGGER PART of their Customer Base since they introduced FREE SHIPPING

Did not know about Returns to a Cdn Depot... Mind you we rarely do any returns cause you get what you buy as described ... Sizing / Fit / Quality etc.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10498 posts
3321 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
We did some returns to LL Bean a few years ago when some clothing we bought online and had shipped to Amerifriends in PA (no tax on clothes) turned out to be too large for my wife. We were pleasantly surprised when we called the 1-800 and were told, "No problem that you bought this in the US. You can return to this address in Canada..."

Anyway, this wasn't documented on their website then but it is now: Returns & Exchanges from Canada. And as a bonus when I checked their site, "25% OFF YOUR ORDER USE PROMO CODE: 25OFF. ENDS TONIGHT, NOVEMBER 14. PLUS FREE SHIPPING." I've seen 20% off in the past but never 25%.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10498 posts
3321 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:00 pm
Costco ... Sorry I disagree that their items are flat out more expensive on line. Over the years we've found several items online at Costco.ca either priced equal or less than in store, or even up against Amazon. And NO SHIPPING cost for most items.
Very happy shopping on line with Costco.ca
I've seen stuff that's on sale at Costco stores that isn't on sale online. We're not members because the nearest store used to be too far to make sense so maybe we'd have gotten the sale price online with membership. Regardless there are items that Costco sells cheaper than anywhere else, no membership required and shipped free. One example is hearing aid batteries.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1401 posts
741 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:21 pm
We did some returns to LL Bean a few years ago when some clothing we bought online and had shipped to Amerifriends in PA (no tax on clothes) turned out to be too large for my wife. We were pleasantly surprised when we called the 1-800 and were told, "No problem that you bought this in the US. You can return to this address in Canada..."

Anyway, this wasn't documented on their website then but it is now: Returns & Exchanges from Canada. And as a bonus when I checked their site, "25% OFF YOUR ORDER USE PROMO CODE: 25OFF. ENDS TONIGHT, NOVEMBER 14. PLUS FREE SHIPPING." I've seen 20% off in the past but never 25%.
That's an excellent deal.

Slightly better than the one we took advantage of over Labour Day Weekend:

25% Off Purchases of $ 50 or more.
And of course FREE Shipping

Like you, previously I only ever recall 10% to 20%

Wondering 2 things:

1- Are they feeling the pinch from Cdns boycotting the USA

2- Are they feeling the pinch from Americans boycotting LL Bean (google for more info)
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 14th, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1401 posts
741 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:25 pm
I've seen stuff that's on sale at Costco stores that isn't on sale online. We're not members because the nearest store used to be too far to make sense so maybe we'd have gotten the sale price online with membership. Regardless there are items that Costco sells cheaper than anywhere else, no membership required and shipped free. One example is hearing aid batteries.
Yes there can definitely be differences between BOTH pricing & merchandise found Instore & online @ Costco.ca

Things don't always overlap / are carried by both

We actually shopped online for several years without a Membership, it was only thru time & feeling good about the whole experience that prompted us to sign up.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4576 posts
150 upvotes
Ottawa
I see this on walmart.ca already. I usually do grocery orders but I noticed that the prices online is not in sync with their flyer so I pm themselves!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1564 posts
28 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:18 pm
I see this on walmart.ca already. I usually do grocery orders but I noticed that the prices online is not in sync with their flyer so I pm themselves!
and they accept the PM? I never thought to pricematch themselves lol