Investing

is now a good time to get into the market?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 10:15 am
Tags:
Feb 24, 2017
107 posts
79 upvotes

is now a good time to get into the market?

I'm sitting on cash right now in anticipation of a correction or slowdown in the US and Canadian markets.

Am I wrong to be waiting or should I jump in even with these record highs?

Aren't we overdue for a correction?
33 replies
Jul 11, 2015
371 posts
195 upvotes
edmonton, ab
Probably u should wait. but most people say you should never really plan to miss the collapse. because it isn't predictable. I would say just play around with stuff on google finance. and yes we are definitely overdue for a correction.
~You're the average of the five people, you most associate with.~
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2003
1181 posts
247 upvotes
Anytime is a good time. Buy the deal not the market.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2012
1145 posts
544 upvotes
Good things happen to those people who wait but things left behind by those who hustle.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1127 posts
479 upvotes
ballugagan wrote: I'm sitting on cash right now in anticipation of a correction or slowdown in the US and Canadian markets.

Am I wrong to be waiting or should I jump in even with these record highs?

Aren't we overdue for a correction?
If you are planning for the long term and have done your homework, just buy what you have found deemed worth buying, because the market will continually go through highs and downs.
Last edited by komodor on Mar 16th, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 5, 2017
910 posts
913 upvotes
THere are no reasons to wait. The only one is a psychological one.
In the long term, all studies show that you should invest now, no matter what.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
don't wait. got to learn fast and as soon as possible. No-one can really predict corrections or whatever.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldnt put in a massive amount of new money into the market now that we are in year 8 of a bull market. Yes the correction will come and many will be looking to buy cheaper stocks when it comes.
I have added some small positions in TFSA etc this year but nothing major.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Research shows market timing doesn't work. Statistically best bet is to get in as soon as you can....
Temp. Banned
Nov 23, 2016
127 posts
34 upvotes
You guys are all wrong.

You can use technical analysis and charts to look and predict market highs and lows. You can definately time the market. Daytraders do this all the time and they make millions off of it.
Feb 10, 2017
98 posts
85 upvotes
mypepsi wrote: You guys are all wrong.

You can use technical analysis and charts to look and predict market highs and lows. You can definately time the market. Daytraders do this all the time and they make millions off of it.
you keep drinking that pepsi
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
listen to the majority don't time the market, put it in a decent low MER balanced fund or mirrror couch potato and rebalance yearly.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
1LoveToronto wrote: you keep drinking that pepsi
lmao, I'm sure majority of the daytraders do make millions from timing :facepalm:
Feb 24, 2017
107 posts
79 upvotes
Matrix_dot_ca wrote: Anytime is a good time. Buy the deal not the market.
Does this apply to index funds as well, like the couch potato strategy? Indexes are at all times highs they don't appear to be an attractive deal at the moment.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ballugagan wrote: Does this apply to index funds as well, like the couch potato strategy? Indexes are at all times highs they don't appear to be an attractive deal at the moment.
Time in mkt NOT timing mkt is how to grow portfolio.

Nonetheless everyone has different risk profile and comfort level. Invest it all now [in ccp portfolio or similar] but if uncomfortable with that then pick an amount [10%, 25%, 30%, etc] and get that in mkt now and rest over next 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc,

While ideally you fully invest now... rather you put something in now vs nothing.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2014
1939 posts
2938 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Are you considering an index fund, or a specific equity? I would not wait if you're buying an index, however if you are considering a specific stock or stocks, post it and we will give our thoughts on it.
Feb 24, 2017
107 posts
79 upvotes
Gungnir wrote: Are you considering an index fund, or a specific equity? I would not wait if you're buying an index, however if you are considering a specific stock or stocks, post it and we will give our thoughts on it.
I was considering both. The thing is I may need the funds in the next 2-3 years. I was considering allocating a % to different indexes, and I also want to invest specifically in:

Apple (I thought a fair price was ~$80-85)
Amazon
Tesla

Let me know your thoughts.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
ballugagan wrote: I was considering both. The thing is I may need the funds in the next 2-3 years. I was considering allocating a % to different indexes, and I also want to invest specifically in:

Amazon
Tesla

...well if you can convince someone of that kinda price for AAPL, let me know. I'll take a few shares too!
May 29, 2006
691 posts
225 upvotes
It is tough to catch a falling knife........But easy for me to say since I have been fully invested and adding for the last 15 years

Im not sure what I would do if I was not invested and sitting on a tone of cash right now?? Im hoping for a correction since Im still in the accumulation phase and would love to add with assets on "sale" :D
Aug 14, 2010
612 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
ballugagan wrote: I was considering both. The thing is I may need the funds in the next 2-3 years. I was considering allocating a % to different indexes, and I also want to invest specifically in:

Amazon
Tesla

You shouldn't be investing your money in the stock market if you need it in 2-3 years.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)