Investing

is now a good time to get into the market?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 10:15 am
Tags:
Dec 30, 1969
506 posts
250 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Are you considering an index fund, or a specific equity? I would not wait if you're buying an index, however if you are considering a specific stock or stocks, post it and we will give our thoughts on it.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2017
34 posts
16 upvotes
Gungnir wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:03 am
Are you considering an index fund, or a specific equity? I would not wait if you're buying an index, however if you are considering a specific stock or stocks, post it and we will give our thoughts on it.
I was considering both. The thing is I may need the funds in the next 2-3 years. I was considering allocating a % to different indexes, and I also want to invest specifically in:

Apple (I thought a fair price was ~$80-85)
Amazon
Tesla

Let me know your thoughts.
Jul 11, 2011
643 posts
351 upvotes
Ontario
ballugagan wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:53 pm
I was considering both. The thing is I may need the funds in the next 2-3 years. I was considering allocating a % to different indexes, and I also want to invest specifically in:

Amazon
Tesla

...well if you can convince someone of that kinda price for AAPL, let me know. I'll take a few shares too!
May 29, 2006
564 posts
109 upvotes
It is tough to catch a falling knife........But easy for me to say since I have been fully invested and adding for the last 15 years

Im not sure what I would do if I was not invested and sitting on a tone of cash right now?? Im hoping for a correction since Im still in the accumulation phase and would love to add with assets on "sale" :D
Aug 14, 2010
312 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
ballugagan wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:53 pm

Amazon
Tesla

You shouldn't be investing your money in the stock market if you need it in 2-3 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3697 posts
898 upvotes
Calgary
Much like how you cannot time real estate, you cannot time the stock market. Now, there are signs on when to bail, but don't fight the trend. If you constantly fight the trend, you end up being like some of those sad RE crash guys in the RE forum.

A year ago people were saying the same, stock market is about to crash, it's too high. I am up 17% over last year on my investments (which does not include my wife's vested stocks on which we made an absolute killing and sold end of last year). i tried to time the oil stock market 2 years ago and got burned, it happens. While it recovered, there is risk either side.
Feb 5, 2017
41 posts
15 upvotes
horizon of 2-3 years = no stocks in my book

Look I have invested 1M in the TSX, S&P and ZAG ETF within the last 10 weeks when both indexes were at a peak.
Up 3%

Could have been -3% but in the long run (20 years from now for me) it doesn't matter.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36624 posts
7230 upvotes
Look at some commodities whose supply may be in crunch. Safer to bet on solid/stable producers but junior mining companies with little debt can pay off with a longer term horizon.

Buy the unloved commodity that's about to become a superstar.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36624 posts
7230 upvotes
check ceo.ca specifically for some mining companies / commodities but just so you know, there will be talk about junior players and some major ones.

Check out SSI (Sprott Inc.) if you believe commodities have room to run up. It pay 5% dividends too.

I was thinking going that route but I got carried away and bet on a smaller Canadian zinc player.

======

Also, make sure you have a long time horizon where you can keep doubling down on solid companies that may be unfavored and whose stock price is heavily discounted. Not sure if there are many of that out there.
Oct 12, 2016
101 posts
15 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:10 pm
I was thinking going that route but I got carried away and bet on a smaller Canadian zinc player.
Is that CZN by any chance?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36624 posts
7230 upvotes
Limited7 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:19 pm
Is that CZN by any chance?
No, it's TK - Tinka Resources.
https://ceo.ca/tk

Some trader there suggested among others, ZAZ, but when I looked at the financial, they were running short of cash and of course that means significant dilution or worse.

Others suggested Vendetta Mining VTT but I felt a little more comfortable with TK.

So many got in early (low twenties) thanks to tips from a few members and then the stock jumped to 35 when the company reported high grade zinc discovery a week or so ago. I only got it today at 55, 57 and 58 cents. I'm not trading this stock. I will wait for positive developments to unfold and hold on to it like dear life. There should be more news coming out in the next few weeks about drilling results/surveys.

It's so funny how no one was selling shares today after the first drop to 53 from the close of 54 yesterday. I was selling my holdings so I can buy TK.

I think my purchase of 105k shares across several accounts did help push sentiments up but it maybe just my wishful thinking. :)
Oct 12, 2016
101 posts
15 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:31 pm
No, it's TK - Tinka Resources.
https://ceo.ca/tk

Some trader there suggested among others, ZAZ, but when I looked at the financial, they were running short of cash and of course that means significant dilution or worse.

Others suggested Vendetta Mining VTT but I felt a little more comfortable with TK.

So many got in early (low twenties) thanks to tips from a few members and then the stock jumped to 35 when the company reported high grade zinc discovery a week or so ago. I only got it today at 55, 57 and 58 cents. I'm not trading this stock. I will wait for positive developments to unfold and hold on to it like dear life. There should be more news coming out in the next few weeks about drilling results/surveys.

It's so funny how no one was selling shares today after the first drop to 53 from the close of 54 yesterday. I was selling my holdings so I can buy TK.

I think my purchase of 105k shares across several accounts did help push sentiments up but it maybe just my wishful thinking. :)
Sorry are we talking about Teekay Corporation or Tinka Resources Ltd, Or Taseko Mines Ltd?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36624 posts
7230 upvotes
Limited7 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:37 pm
Sorry are we talking about Teekay Corporation or Tinka Resources Ltd, Or Taseko Mines Ltd?
DId you even read my post?
Oct 12, 2016
101 posts
15 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:38 pm
DId you even read my post?
Yep sorry I just did. Previously I had just clicked on the link in your post.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel