Shopping Discussion

Now they're just beating a dead horse: Future Shop Boxing Week Sale EXTENDED

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2010 12:00 pm
Dec 20, 2009
107 posts
9 upvotes
i dont mind sales but there advertising the same items. do you think the kingston 2gb usb will be selling for $2.99 again for january
May 11, 2008
425 posts
2 upvotes
what exactly is extended? just the tvs? there are a lot of tvs all around the shop. i missed out on polk audio and velodyne subwoofers, now if they went back on sale 'd be happy.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
Canada_7 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2010 11:02 am
Sooner or later, sales are gonna be extended longer and longer, and deals are gonna get even worse; to the point they just have to put up a "sale" sign and people will be all over it (well other than those who go on RFD and do their research).
the brick? haha.

i remember years ago shopping, and as always i was out researching weeks before i had any intention to buy. so we're at the brick and asking about their 'sale' price, and what we would be able to get the item for in a few weeks. straight up the salesman just said probably the same price, we just have a different sale every week, so the prices are usually around the same(item was marked like 200 or 300 off 'regular' price). i wasn't sure how to feel about that, on one hand i can kind of respect it, it's a smart move. most ppl don't shop around for an item for a long time, they decide they want something, and go out and find the best deal and buy a couple days later. so they would have no idea the item was actually not really on sale, and at the same time no matter what week that shopper decides to buy, they will have a 'sale' on to lure them in.

on the other hand, i don't like being lied to, so i never went back, haha.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17039 posts
3895 upvotes
Toronto
I must say I'm very happy with the extended sale. I got a small appliance yesterday for 40% off last week's price (which was their regular price).
Dec 21, 2008
251 posts
158 upvotes
Gmail1 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2010 11:34 pm
Dude what difference does it make? I'm glad to save some money, whether it's 50%, 30% or 15%. And just because what you're looking for wasn't on sale doesn't mean there were no good sales. I got some pretty sweet stuff actually, and I wish more stores were continuing their boxing day sales because I was too busy in the last week to give more than 1 day to shopping.

An extra week of discount prices sounds good to me, even if the deals aren't insane.
What exactly did you buy that was a good deal? Everything I seen was either clearance 'crap' or an ordinary sale price (save 20%). DVD blowouts? Try amazon throughout the year. You aren't getting great deals, you are getting standard prices. Just because they put "SAVE $500" doesn't mean you are actually saving.

Sure there may have been a few alright deals but nothing worthy of a Boxing Day label. I was down south for Black Friday and there were actually deals that were worthy of lining up for. The customer is getting smarter, less and less people are buying into the Canadian retailer's inflated prices. People are shopping around, and the retailers are either going to wake up to it or close shop.

The sooner boxing day is over, the sooner the REAL deals come out.
Logistics and Recreation Entrepreneur extraordinaire!

PM me for information about Inline Hockey or if you have any Inline Hockey/Skating questions!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
4550 posts
232 upvotes
Vancouver
looks like bestbuy is doing the same thing.. i guess they are trying to clear out the open and overstock items..
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4277 posts
71 upvotes
Winnipeg
Anyone know if you talk down items..ie. nikon sb-600 haha. :lol:
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1603 posts
138 upvotes
Hampton
Nexxion wrote:
Jan 1st, 2010 10:40 pm
from a major retailer like FS, definitely.

if the "sale" deals were worth setting foot in store for or opening up your browser window it would only take a few hours... not 2 weeks.

at this rate they'll have to call it "boxing month".
Given many stores were promoting the week before boxing day as "boxing week" we are getting close to a month of this stupidity in fact.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17039 posts
3895 upvotes
Toronto
Geez. Give you a sale, and you still complain.

I'd much rather have a bunch of 20-30% off sales of stuff I can actually buy (with a couple of 40% off items throw in), than 50% off sales of items that you have to line up hours for in the dead of winter, or have to click buy online at the stroke of midnight, because of limited stock.

I ended buying significantly more this year than the last two boxing weeks combined, because I could actually get the stuff.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2009
1260 posts
315 upvotes
thehockeyguy wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2010 10:50 pm
looks like bestbuy is doing the same thing.. i guess they are trying to clear out the open and overstock items..
lol more like overpriced crap that nobody wants to buy event! :lol:
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
blainehamilton wrote:
Jan 1st, 2010 10:31 pm
As if it wasn't bad enough that retailers had IMOH the most lackluster deals on boxing day and boxing week, now they have the gall to promote the January 1-7 flyer as a 'BOXING WEEK EXTENDED' sale.

Give it a rest already. The boxing day deals sucked. The boxing week deals sucked. Cut the cord and start with decent deals for 2010.
I STILL haven't got around to a FS store yet! It only just occurred to me. My Boxing Week visits have been getting later and later the last few years - and now I avoided them completely! Hurrah! :lol:
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
dgs wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 12:27 am
Given many stores were promoting the week before boxing day as "boxing week" we are getting close to a month of this stupidity in fact.
Other than WM, my Boxing Day shopping effectively ended before 10PM on Christmas Eve when I finally got out of the "virtual shopping line" and discovered that half the items in my cart were now OOS. Ah well, saved me from buying more stuff I didn't really need.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
mat2312 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2010 10:44 pm
What exactly did you buy that was a good deal? Everything I seen was either clearance 'crap' or an ordinary sale price (save 20%). DVD blowouts? Try amazon throughout the year. You aren't getting great deals, you are getting standard prices. Just because they put "SAVE $500" doesn't mean you are actually saving.

Sure there may have been a few alright deals but nothing worthy of a Boxing Day label. I was down south for Black Friday and there were actually deals that were worthy of lining up for. The customer is getting smarter, less and less people are buying into the Canadian retailer's inflated prices. People are shopping around, and the retailers are either going to wake up to it or close shop.

The sooner boxing day is over, the sooner the REAL deals come out.
Dexter Seasons 1 and 2 for $10 each at WM. And the X-Men Trilogy on BR at BB for $25. Those were the only REAL DEALS for me this year. I did buy a bunch of other BRs and DVDs, but none were essential. My last PC hardware purchase (Acer Quad at BB for $350) was back in October, and I've seen no comparable deals since. :)
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
intruder_qc wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2010 11:46 am
Since the option to check store availability is still off line the only way you can know if they have it or not is to go to the store. And this exactly what they want, since when you will be in the store and found out the items you wanted isn't there you might buy something else instead... well this is what they hope for and even better for them if you buy something that isn't in special :D .
It backfired then. I haven't been in a BB store since BxD morning, and didn't visit FS at all. If ISPU had been available, or at least stock checking, then it's possible I might have been round. Can't be bothered driving there on a potentially futile trip.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
vse wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2010 1:30 am
on january 8th we will see new years extended sale
Or Eastern Orthodox Boxing Week Sale! :lol: