Investing

is now the time to invest in oil stocks?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2024 9:55 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
holding SU with a $12usd avg, large large position, not making the same mistake i did with goos by selling early. Might decide to trim at 20%.

The report was decent, next report will be even better because of the projects and layoffs.
Jan 9, 2018
536 posts
698 upvotes
I made the same mistake of selling goos too early ,at about 15% profit , if i held it for just few more months would have made 60-70% return... :\
Gotoff wrote: holding SU with a $12usd avg, large large position, not making the same mistake i did with goos by selling early. Might decide to trim at 20%.

The report was decent, next report will be even better because of the projects and layoffs.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4610 posts
3080 upvotes
EddandEddie wrote: I see a huge uptick in demand in coming months..I am talking about 12 month period. Vaccine would be out , travel demand would start picking up. If you look at cars sales trend , recently Ford and other car makers had a huge increase in sales . They mostly make cars that use gasoline. I bought Suncor at average $15.50 so I am talking from that price prospective , not for investors who have bought it at high 30's . From $15 a share i see some really nice returns in next couple of years...
got some SU at 15.80
Jul 30, 2016
752 posts
309 upvotes
is it a good time to enter into oil ? i'm looking to invest into SU.TO or XOM or CVX but a bit confused and less confident to start a position in oil similar to airlines and cruises etc...
Jan 30, 2020
149 posts
185 upvotes
iamagtaguy wrote: is it a good time to enter into oil ? i'm looking to invest into SU.TO or XOM or CVX but a bit confused and less confident to start a position in oil similar to airlines and cruises etc...
In my opinion you should look at Shell. Shell produces oil very cheapy compared to their competitors which is very important when oil prices are low. They also have more revenues from NAT gas then their competitors which has helped them out this year because NAT gas prices are high and it provides stable income. Unlike everyone else, shell posted a profit in Q3 and raised their dividend. There is no real risk of shell going bankrupt unlike airlines and cruises.
Jul 30, 2016
752 posts
309 upvotes
Wiretin wrote: In my opinion you should look at Shell. Shell produces oil very cheapy compared to their competitors which is very important when oil prices are low. They also have more revenues from NAT gas then their competitors which has helped them out this year because NAT gas prices are high and it provides stable income. Unlike everyone else, shell posted a profit in Q3 and raised their dividend. There is no real risk of shell going bankrupt unlike airlines and cruises.
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2141 posts
3198 upvotes
Wiretin wrote: In my opinion you should look at Shell. Shell produces oil very cheapy compared to their competitors which is very important when oil prices are low. They also have more revenues from NAT gas then their competitors which has helped them out this year because NAT gas prices are high and it provides stable income. Unlike everyone else, shell posted a profit in Q3 and raised their dividend. There is no real risk of shell going bankrupt unlike airlines and cruises.
I have an initial position on RDS.b ($26 USD post-dividend cut). I still ultimately believe CNQ, SU may perform better on a recovery in the short/mid-term, but wanted exposure outside Canada. While it seems odd to add RDS.b as a "renewable" play, their mandate is to transition to renewables. Levering their infrastructure, it's possible Shell could be quite successful on the renewable "highway". It will likely never be a core position for me but will keep it an underweight position.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2008
6047 posts
1945 upvotes
GTA
Energy's plunge is now worst among S&P sectors dating to 1928

Energy stocks are suffering through their worst retreat in almost a century.
In the biggest drop of any sector going back to 1928, energy stocks have lost 60 per cent more value than the S&P 500 Index has, data from Sundial Capital Research show. In calculating maximum declines from the three-year high for each index sector minus their drawdowns in the broad benchmark, Sundial found that normally a sector’s relative losses stop at around 35 per cent.

Energy consumption has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic and its travel restrictions. The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies have not been able to keep supplies in check. And oil is on track for its largest monthly decline since March.

“This is an industry that remains in transition and until we get to a return to travel, which remains impaired globally, demand growth won’t resume,” said Rob Haworth, senior investment strategist at U.S. Bank Wealth Management.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/energy-s-pl ... -1.1515680
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13019 posts
11361 upvotes
tell us something we don't know BNN lol..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2141 posts
3198 upvotes
faken wrote: tell us something we don't know BNN lol..
If one is looking for unbiased coverage of the O&G Sector, you wouldn't watch BNN. Anchors almost gleefully report when oil / stocks hit fresh 52 week lows. I think this is largely based on regional coverage and what they feel their viewership wishes. Not much discussions of the Condo/Rentals/Retail/Office RE crashes in GTA/VCR/MTL which represents a far greater % of GDP.

Regardless, I highly doubt anyone investing in O&G now is investing for the next few months. I still plan to take positions in Canadian energy / pipes prior to YE but my entry targets haven't been achieved yet.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
DealRNothing wrote: If one is looking for unbiased coverage of the O&G Sector, you wouldn't watch BNN. Anchors almost gleefully report when oil / stocks hit fresh 52 week lows. I think this is largely based on regional coverage and what they feel their viewership wishes. Not much discussions of the Condo/Rentals/Retail/Office RE crashes in GTA/VCR/MTL which represents a far greater % of GDP.

Regardless, I highly doubt anyone investing in O&G now is investing for the next few months. I still plan to take positions in Canadian energy / pipes prior to YE but my entry targets haven't been achieved yet.
News media has been paid and bought for many years now.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13019 posts
11361 upvotes
HSE bag is getting lighter.. thank goodness.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7470 posts
1459 upvotes
Ottawa
EddandEddie wrote: I made the same mistake of selling goos too early ,at about 15% profit , if i held it for just few more months would have made 60-70% return... :\
I hold goos too long, went from over 100% return to negative.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
This may be the first time in the history of the United States that the President and Congress are from the Democratic Party and the Senate from the Republican Party, something which I referred to in my recent article as the ideal scenario for oil markets.

The results are yet to be decided. The likelihood of this scenario increases hour after hour.
Translated from here.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
Anyone buying RIG (Transocean) since the drop to 65c on the 30th?
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12698 posts
15949 upvotes
This may be the first time in the history of the United States that the President and Congress are from the Democratic Party and the Senate from the Republican Party, something which I referred to in my recent article as the ideal scenario for oil markets.
No, it happens all the time where the President faces a split Congress - one party has the House of Representatives and the other have the Senate.

Obama had the House, but not the Senate.
Trump had the Senate, but not the House (after the midterm election).
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote: No, it happens all the time where the President faces a split Congress - one party has the House of Representatives and the other have the Senate.

Obama had the House, but not the Senate.
Trump had the Senate, but not the House (after the midterm election).
Thanks for fact checking; and what did price of oil do at that time?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13019 posts
11361 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Anyone buying RIG (Transocean) since the drop to 65c on the 30th?
I took a position at .95 today.. I'm gonna see if it hits 1.20 tomorrow.. lol.