Investing

is now the time to invest in oil stocks?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2024 9:55 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
@DealRNothing

I don't think I've ever bought anything on either one's recommendation, so they can fight it out between themselves.
But I do remember one spectacular fail from each one:
Acker had XOM as a top pick - maybe more than once - and it went straight down.
Nuttall had BTE as a top pick - also more than once - before he eventually gave up and sold it himself.

The only reason that I noticed BTE is because I own it from way, way back, and have been opportunistically trading in and out.
Jul 10, 2020
165 posts
207 upvotes
I thought with global warming it's not supposed to snow anymore? How is this possible #ShockedPikachuFace

As the world gets vaccinated and returns back to semi-normal it seems that Oil is heading towards $60+ again and volume is beginning to pick up again, I suspect by 2021 we will be at 2019 levels and keep trucking forward beyond that
RFD is hurting my wallet, too many good deals *link removed - advertising is not permitted*
May 31, 2017
714 posts
1005 upvotes
IrwinW wrote: @DealRNothing

I don't think I've ever bought anything on either one's recommendation, so they can fight it out between themselves.
But I do remember one spectacular fail from each one:
Acker had XOM as a top pick - maybe more than once - and it went straight down.
Nuttall had BTE as a top pick - also more than once - before he eventually gave up and sold it himself.

The only reason that I noticed BTE is because I own it from way, way back, and have been opportunistically trading in and out.
BTE's problem is that they hedged themselves into lower prices for most of 2021 too early last year...it was bone headed and their leadership should be held to account over that move. If they hadn't done that their share price would be closer to $1.70 right now. JMHO.
Dec 2, 2017
753 posts
868 upvotes
So much for institutions getting out of oil nonsense...

Lowballing offer though. I'd imagine they may eventually raise that to around $18
No skin in the game, so don't care so much

Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... r-bid-for/
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners LP has launched a hostile takeover bid for Inter Pipeline Ltd., pitting the company’s largest shareholder against its board of directors, who refuse to sell at a depressed price.

Brookfield Infrastructure currently holds securities that amount to a 19.65-per-cent stake in the energy infrastructure company and approached its board about a full takeover last fall, but was ultimately rebuffed.

In a statement, Brookfield said Wednesday the talks were “positive in spirit,” but Inter Pipeline believed the company has an “intrinsic value far in excess of our assessment, largely driven by a more optimistic outlook of future growth and a recovery of commodity prices in excess of current market expectation.”

Frustrated, Brookfield is now going public with its takeover proposal, which is worth $16.50 a share. At this price, the 80 per cent position that Brookfield does not currently own is worth $5.7-billion, and Brookfield is willing to pay a maximum cash consideration of approximately $4.9-billion. The remainder will be in shares.

The offer values all of Inter Pipeline, including Brookfield’s stake, at $7.1-billion, and it amounts to a 23-per-cent premium to Inter Pipeline’s closing price Wednesday.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
Now that markets are closed for the day, perhaps a few of us would be interested in hearing 35 minutes of Canadian Heidi McKillop interviewing Alex Epstein.
On this week’s Power Hour Alex Epstein shares a recent interview of him by Heidi McKillop, a Canadian filmmaker who went from an opponent of the Canadian oil and gas industry to a champion of it.
(...)
He shares new thoughts on the world of energy including how to think about our environment, how to stand up to the anti-fossil fuel movement, and the miracle of “machine labor.”
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8453 posts
3627 upvotes
gskn4u wrote: Technical on Oil (not sure if it is already shared here).

This aged well didn't it?

I just hate how professional technical analysis is so garbage. Not sure if they want to take the other side of the trade to scare monger the retail money listening to these monkeys.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2018
2725 posts
2535 upvotes
1xTiMeR wrote: This aged well didn't it?

I just hate how professional technical analysis is so garbage. Not sure if they want to take the other side of the trade to scare monger the retail money listening to these monkeys.
People don't understand the conditions of the oil industry between 2016-2020 and 2020-beyond.
NOT A WOMAN. JUST GOT A WEIRD NAME. I AM A MAN. THANKS.
Jun 28, 2017
85 posts
29 upvotes
LookingForStuffNow wrote: I thought with global warming it's not supposed to snow anymore? How is this possible #ShockedPikachuFace
A common misconception. While global temperatures are rising in general, that does not mean the entire world will warm at a steady and even pace. There will be fluctuations. As a matter of fact this is what caused the whole "climate change" vs "global warming" naming debate. Scientists predict an increase in extreme weather as well as an increase in global temperatures. So we are told to expect more hurricanes, cold spells, heat waves, droughts, and floods. But on average temperatures will be rising while it happens. And the data does seem to support that: the six hottest years on record have all been recorded over the past 6 years and 9 of the top 10 warmest years were recorded over the past decade. 2020 tied 2016 as the hottest on record.
Jul 29, 2017
140 posts
129 upvotes
jenneth wrote: People don't understand the conditions of the oil industry between 2016-2020 and 2020-beyond.
Care to elaborate?
Jan 5, 2015
462 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i'm feeling severe FOMO and I want to double my Suncor position on Tuesday assuming it's not a massive green day

crude oil hitting $60 feels big
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2018
2725 posts
2535 upvotes
aronpm wrote: i'm feeling severe FOMO and I want to double my Suncor position on Tuesday assuming it's not a massive green day

this is just winter too.

natural gas is hitting hit stride as well.

in fact, commodity is hitting its biggest gains ever.

invest big in commodity market right now. screw tech.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
aronpm wrote: i'm feeling severe FOMO and I want to double my Suncor position on Tuesday assuming it's not a massive green day

jenneth wrote: this is just winter too.

natural gas is hitting hit stride as well.

in fact, commodity is hitting its biggest gains ever.

invest big in commodity market right now. screw tech.
Just look at the US drawdowns before the cold shutdowns in the Gulf. The weather is just going to push the supply/demand curve more to the demand side of things as supply will fall further behind. The push above $60 WTI shows that is happening even on a stat holiday in the States. I expect as Biden moves down his agenda list, he will start talking about tighter controls on US oil exploration and pumping which should cause another leg up in the prices along with further demand increases as the number of vaccinations goes and the COVID numbers go down.
Jan 5, 2015
462 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
well damn, Suncor is up +3% pre-market. Guess I can buy boring shares at least, just not LEAPS
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2018
2725 posts
2535 upvotes
aronpm wrote: well damn, Suncor is up +3% pre-market. Guess I can buy boring shares at least, just not LEAPS
I'd wait for the pullback. Pre market is always messy like that.

I HOPE it dips to $22.99
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
FEMA has supplied generators to Texas and is preparing to move diesel on to the state to ensure the continued availability of backup power...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)