Investing

is now the time to invest in oil stocks?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2019 1:23 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5333 posts
1838 upvotes
Thornhill
SELL on STOP for half of UWTI position set @ $3.45

Filled.

Sitting on the rest until tomorrow.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1378 posts
567 upvotes
Mississauga
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 11:36 am
That's why you gotta love this whole setup! The capitulation yesterday was completely oversold and today's EIA # is not matching so like you said, the selloff yesterday is now irrelevant and unwarranted.

Crude Futures expire Friday so we may see another 'flash' like we did on Tuesday when Crude Options expired.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/energy/ ... ductId=190

Crude currently rising up to $52 again where it should have been.
I don't know how you guys do it but I don't have the stomach for this. The whole thing seems like a rigged game and there's no way I can outsmart the people or process behind this. Like Firebot said, someone made out big time from this and I know it wasn't me. I'll continue to make my fortune the slow and steady way and leave it to the people who have the time and resources to play this game.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5138 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
STP123 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 1:48 pm
I don't know how you guys do it but I don't have the stomach for this. The whole thing seems like a rigged game and there's no way I can outsmart the people or process behind this. Like Firebot said, someone made out big time from this and I know it wasn't me. I'll continue to make my fortune the slow and steady way and leave it to the people who have the time and resources to play this game.
This is how I feel, it's been fascinating watching you guys try to time the oil market. It feels to me like gambling but you guys are clearly smarter then me though lol. I'll continue to invest long term but I've learned a lot from this thread.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1522 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
:cry: I chose to take gamble for 11am's inventory news, and I had so much chance to sell HOD at $11.3 today and buy HOU at $8.75 this morning
However, I decided to take gamble...I got it wrong, tho no regret, but it took me too long to load up the inventory number before I place my orders...I could have it done 1 mins faster, so I could have it at better price.
I still made 12% profit from my HOD trade today, but I was looking for 20%...

Last wednesdayI hold HOD too long and oil price bounce backs to $48.9, so I had to sell it instead of selling at $48.2-3. This time I was totally wrong at numbers...

I ended up selling HOD at $11.12 and in HOU for $9.08 today...not very good price imo. I am not worrying about oil price will go down further, I can hold HOU for months.
What date is good to sell HOU this time? still Tuesday? I am targeting at $10.2+ now.
I found it's very hard to exercise trade at extreme end...
Nov 22, 2012
658 posts
24 upvotes
NORTH YORK
oajlu wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 4:10 pm
:cry: I chose to take gamble for 11am's inventory news, and I had so much chance to sell HOD at $11.3 today and buy HOU at $8.75 this morning
However, I decided to take gamble...I got it wrong, tho no regret, but it took me too long to load up the inventory number before I place my orders...I could have it done 1 mins faster, so I could have it at better price.
I still made 12% profit from my HOD trade today, but I was looking for 20%...

Last wednesdayI hold HOD too long and oil price bounce backs to $48.9, so I had to sell it instead of selling at $48.2-3. This time I was totally wrong at numbers...

I ended up selling HOD at $11.12 and in HOU for $9.08 today...not very good price imo. I am not worrying about oil price will go down further, I can hold HOU for months.
What date is good to sell HOU this time? still Tuesday? I am targeting at $10.2+ now.
I found it's very hard to exercise trade at extreme end...
Not a good idea to hold these stocks for months IMO.
I also had a chance to get HOU when it was <$9 but I was greedy and thought I'll wait for some more time but it just bounced back :(
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4084 posts
1418 upvotes
Calgary
The last shoulder of the inverse head and shoulder pattern has been completed, tomorrow once it hits 54$, it will breakout. the fact that it closed at the same spot as yesterday pretty much, in spite of inventory, is very bullish.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4084 posts
1418 upvotes
Calgary
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 6:25 pm
What could that indicate?
The big boys are in long, and anticipate a huge move upwards, or very bullish news.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5333 posts
1838 upvotes
Thornhill
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 6:25 pm
What could that indicate?

Someone placing a large gamble that oil is going to rise in the short term?
Firebot wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 6:28 pm
The big boys are in long, and anticipate a huge move upwards, or very bullish news.
Anything this big could only be from an institution.

It indicates bullishness, for how long who knows?

But with Crude Futures expiring tomorrow and Rig Report out tomorrow, EOW will be very interesting.

Like Firebot said, a move up to $54 is likely and anything above $55 is very bullish and a breakout would be possible.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1522 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 6:49 pm
Anything this big could only be from an institution.

It indicates bullishness, for how long who knows?

But with Crude Futures expiring tomorrow and Rig Report out tomorrow, EOW will be very interesting.

Like Firebot said, a move up to $54 is likely and anything above $55 is very bullish and a breakout would be possible.
if it breakout $55 tomorrow...is it good to go short position at $55-56 range? or is it too dangerous for shorting now?

thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5333 posts
1838 upvotes
Thornhill
oajlu wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 6:59 pm
if it breakout $55 tomorrow...is it good to go short position at $55-56 range? or is it too dangerous for shorting now?

thanks
If it breaks past $55 it becomes more dangerous to take a short position without closely observing the trend because $55 is a big psychological turning point.

You can't be married to your positions in these inverse ETN's.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5352 posts
2366 upvotes
Winnipeg
holding hou overnight...hope crude moves to 54$
Nov 8, 2009
362 posts
64 upvotes
oajlu wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 6:59 pm

thanks
If it breaks out above 55 you will likely see 59 so it's actually better to go long and i DEFINITELY would not short it. Once $54 has been breached (likely by $0.50) there's a good chance it's already broken out and the uptrend will most likely continue. The reason is because at 54.xx the shorts say screw it and cover their positions driving the price higher. If I saw 54.40+ I would personally buy hou. I'm currently holding HOU till 54. I'm still not confident it can be breached but if it does I will play the trend.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)