• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2017 6:25 am
[OP]
Feb 21, 2010
19 posts
Toronto

NPSIA Vs. Ottawa U Public & International Affairs

Hey Everyone,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding these two programs. I have been accepted into both, however Ottawa U has offered to pay for all of the tuition and Carleton only a few thousand. I understand Carleton has a better reputation and is highly regarded, and nobody seems to know anything about Ottawa U. I also hear Carleton's program is very right wing, and my focus is more on environmental issues and policy so I am worried it might not be for me. Will the NPSIA really be a huge advantage for my career when I am finished? I'm leaning towards NPSIA because of the reputation, but still undecided. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3616 posts
1056 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have very much to compare it to but anyone I know who went to NPSIA got a great job afterwards in the field - ie. CIDA/UN/other international agencies.
Mar 18, 2009
98 posts
3 upvotes
Kitchener
Well first off congratulations on the NPSIA acceptance, you beat a lot of highly qualified candidates including me sadly > :( . I think at this point it depends on what you want to do with your future, NPSIA pretty much guarantees you a cushy foreign affairs job, but it just doesn't limit you to only the foreign affairs department and other related departments , you will pretty much have access to other departments and sectors if you wish to apply and transfer.

If you are like me and you still see yourself working perhaps in academia one day, Uottawa would not be a bad choice since they are offering to pay for everything. I went to Uottawa and from my experience it does seem a bit leftwing or maybe I just coincidentally had all left-wing oriented profs. Mind you I would still pick NPSIA.
[OP]
Feb 21, 2010
19 posts
Toronto
Wirebound & Monkeyballz,

Thanks for both of your replies, it is helpful to hear input of others.

Monkeyballz I am sorry to hear you were not accepted, although Ottawa U's program does look to be very interesting (which is why I was strongly considering it) I think I will accept NPSIA because of the strong ties with the government, it would be nice to be able to have those opportunities after coming out of school. CIDA would be great to work for I think, DFAIT would be interesting as well i'm sure.
I can't thank you enough for your thoughts. Best of luck at Ottawa U next year!
Mar 28, 2006
10 posts
Montreal
From my experience this past year, NPSIA is not right-wing at all (I did hear one or two professors are, but I haven't experienced it). if you haven't accepted and/or if you want to know something specific about the program, send me a message. Cheers.
Mar 16, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
I am also in the same boat as cl1. I received acceptance to both NPSIA and UofO. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has gone to uOttawa for the Public and International Affairs program and can comment on career opportunities after graduation? If I don't accept the offer from NPSIA and go to uOttawa for their Public and International Affairs program, will I not have the same opportunities compared to someone who went to NPSIA? I'm so happy that I got accepted into NPSIA because it is such an amazing school, but the funding that I was offered from uOttawa is tearing me up inside on what to decide! Thanks for your help!
Jan 20, 2011
5 posts
Ottawa, ON
Hello everyone!

I am happy to have found this post.

I am currently in the process of applying to this program and am feeling the anxiety and stress.
I am in a specific situation that prevents me from meeting the minimum requirements (75% CGPA), and am not sure about my chances of getting in.

I have a CGPA of 73%, but this is due to some unforseen circumstances that have made it hard for me to attend school and apply myself to my studies.

Now, I have been working for Citizenship and Immigration Canada for about 2 years now, first in the Deputy Minister's Office as a Junior Policy Advisor and Project Manager, then as a Project Manager for Minister Kenney's Office, and now I am back at the DM's office and also in the Director General's of Communications Office working on Strategic Communications Policy re to Immigration.

My point is: does the evaluation board take into consideration the breadth of our experience or only our academic record.
my last two and a half years have been perfect with an average off 8.7. However, it is because of my first year that my average has fallen, and now I am STRESSED lol!

Anyone else applying or has applied without meeting minimum requirements and has good chances of getting accepted?

MERCI BEAUCOUP!

HELP!
Mar 18, 2009
98 posts
3 upvotes
Kitchener
^^ Assuming this is for Uottawa, I would email the admission committee and see where they stand on the issue. I know they say they look at your entire CGPA but they may weigh your final year 3-4 marks higher and rightly so. You could also explain in your letter of interest your personal reasons about your low marks in your first year but than show how you have nice upward performance in your academic achievement, schools like to see improvements. Also are you fixed on applying to just the international affairs program, how about the political science one? I think minimum requirements is just 70%. As well since you have strong marks over your last two years I would look into applying for Carleton's NPSIA as well.

As for your extra experience, it can play a major role if you can demonstrate how it can or will help you in your graduate research for when you write your letter of interest, but definitely your academic record will always be the main point of consideration in a research-based graduate program.
Jan 11, 2010
81 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
+1 you should definitely apply... your experience in addition to your marks seem really good. As i recall they only take into account your last two years hence the minimum 75%. If anything you should call the school and verify what they're looking for.

Good Luck!
Jan 20, 2011
5 posts
Ottawa, ON
Hi guys!

Thank you for the many responses... they encouraged me.
So here is an update: I received my acceptance letter two days ago and am thrilled!
Also, I called the Grad School to get more information pertaining to the program itself as well as to the whole selection process.

What might be of your interest is the following:
The selection process is based on a "points system"... no not Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers.. Just kidding
It resembles Canada's Foreign Skilled Workers points system, where a certain amount of points is allocated to education, experience, success potential, etc.
Basically, the school asseses everything: GPA, CV, experience, reference letters AND cover letter, and adds everything up.
It is only then that they choose the top candidates.

so, you could have a lower GPA but very good CV and letter and get in.. whereas someone with a good GPA and bad letter etc could be at the bottom of the list. They said that an amazing GPA does not guarantee entry to the school. once assessed and if accepted, the only advantage of a good GPA vs bad GPA is the bursary.

Hope this helps. You all probably already knew all this, but it's good to have confirmation from the school itself.
So apply even if you don't think you'll get in, and you might be as lucky as I was

Kepp us posted if you get in.. and how you got in.

P.S. would it be helpful if we shared cover letters and our resumes for reference purposes for those applying?

Cheers guys!
Jan 10, 2011
51 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
maladalmatinka wrote:
Mar 25th, 2011 9:54 am
Hi guys!

Thank you for the many responses... they encouraged me.
So here is an update: I received my acceptance letter two days ago and am thrilled!
Also, I called the Grad School to get more information pertaining to the program itself as well as to the whole selection process.

What might be of your interest is the following:
The selection process is based on a "points system"... no not Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers.. Just kidding
It resembles Canada's Foreign Skilled Workers points system, where a certain amount of points is allocated to education, experience, success potential, etc.
Basically, the school asseses everything: GPA, CV, experience, reference letters AND cover letter, and adds everything up.
It is only then that they choose the top candidates.

so, you could have a lower GPA but very good CV and letter and get in.. whereas someone with a good GPA and bad letter etc could be at the bottom of the list. They said that an amazing GPA does not guarantee entry to the school. once assessed and if accepted, the only advantage of a good GPA vs bad GPA is the bursary.

Hope this helps. You all probably already knew all this, but it's good to have confirmation from the school itself.
So apply even if you don't think you'll get in, and you might be as lucky as I was

Kepp us posted if you get in.. and how you got in.

P.S. would it be helpful if we shared cover letters and our resumes for reference purposes for those applying?

Cheers guys!

congrats

still waiting to hear from the same program :(
Jan 10, 2011
51 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
daboat wrote:
Mar 25th, 2011 10:43 am
congrats

still waiting to hear from the same program :(

i got in this morning
Aug 14, 2009
320 posts
57 upvotes
Which program were you both accepted to? NPSIA or Uottawa?
Jan 10, 2011
51 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
lavar wrote:
Mar 28th, 2011 10:03 am
Which program were you both accepted to? NPSIA or Uottawa?

Uottawa

I didnt apply to NPSIA