Students

NPSIA Vs. Ottawa U Public & International Affairs

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2017 6:25 am
Aug 14, 2009
320 posts
57 upvotes
I see I see, well congratulations - let me know if you have any questions or anything. I am just finishing up the program now!
Apr 4, 2011
2 posts
montreal
Hi Lavar,
I would love to chat with you about GSPIA if that's cool- it's where I decided to go.
Hoping it is as interesting and rigorous as it sounds!
my email: dparallax@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Jan 20, 2011
5 posts
Ottawa, ON
lavar wrote:
Mar 28th, 2011 10:03 am
Which program were you both accepted to? NPSIA or Uottawa?

Hi there! I was accepted at Ottawa U (GSPIA). I didn't apply to NPSIA either.
has anyone else received their acceptance yet?

I went to the GSPIA Gala the other week to meet with current students and asked them some questions pertaining to course loads, exams, profs, work and school, etc. All of them repeated the same thing: the first semester is pretty standard and repetititve (for grads of Intl Affairs and Modern Lang), the coarse load is quite big compared to other programs, noone suggests you work while in school (including students and profs and the Dir. of the program)...

Other than that, I found them (the faculty and staff) to be very encouraging when it comes to starting up personal projects related to our program of study. They even give grants to students who show such initiative! :)

Hopefully everything will go smoothly ;)

Cheers guys. hope to get your comments soon!
HK
Jan 10, 2011
51 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
maladalmatinka wrote:
May 2nd, 2011 2:34 pm
Hi there! I was accepted at Ottawa U (GSPIA). I didn't apply to NPSIA either.
has anyone else received their acceptance yet?

I went to the GSPIA Gala the other week to meet with current students and asked them some questions pertaining to course loads, exams, profs, work and school, etc. All of them repeated the same thing: the first semester is pretty standard and repetititve (for grads of Intl Affairs and Modern Lang), the coarse load is quite big compared to other programs, noone suggests you work while in school (including students and profs and the Dir. of the program)...

Other than that, I found them (the faculty and staff) to be very encouraging when it comes to starting up personal projects related to our program of study. They even give grants to students who show such initiative! :)

Hopefully everything will go smoothly ;)

Cheers guys. hope to get your comments soon!
HK

O wow I will be starting this program in Sept as well. When was Gala and how did you hear about it? that would have been a great event to attend. But also did they touch on money to pay for the program since they dont recommend working. Also how confident are you in French in terms of completing that requirment did anyone touch on that?
Jan 10, 2011
51 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
Hey for the two ppl that have confirmed that they will be starting the program in Sept. Have you found somewhere to stay? are you looking?
Jan 20, 2011
5 posts
Ottawa, ON
DaBoat wrote:
May 2nd, 2011 2:47 pm
O wow I will be starting this program in Sept as well. When was Gala and how did you hear about it? that would have been a great event to attend. But also did they touch on money to pay for the program since they dont recommend working. Also how confident are you in French in terms of completing that requirment did anyone touch on that?

Hello again!

Well, the Gala was for current students only apprently. However, when I met up with the Program Director, he invited me as he thought most of my questions would be best answered by students attending the Gala.

The event itself did not cover any administrative or financial issues, it was mainly to celebrate this year's graduates and their accomplishments. most profs and students do discourage you from over-working, but say it is manageable. I've worked pretty much throughout my undergrad (30-50 hour weeks) and still managed to get excellent grades, and will most probably continue working during my Masters program as well (maximm 20 hours). I believe it is acceptable to work 10-15 hours and still have time for studying.. :P it's a challenge!

As for the French question - I will be taking my first year in French, and second year in English (depending on course availability of course). ;) I think you have the option of taking Immersion Courses if you are not entirely comfortable in your second language.

Hope this helps! :D

Toodles!
Oct 23, 2017
8 posts
Hello!

I know this has been posted a while ago and you guys probably all have fantastic jobs by now haha!

I am currently going through the same process as you. My dream job would be to be a Management Consular for Global Affairs. I decided to follow that road less than a year ago, so sadly I don’t have experience with the government, although I have a relative that will get me a job in communication within the government. I worked abroad and did an exchange, I speak fluently French and English and I have an advanced level in Spanish.

As long as I thought about doing a master, I thought about going to uOttawa since I did my degree there, I know the school and the people, there is a great flexibility French/English (and I am slightly better in French so I would be afraid to not get the same grades in Carleton) and I don’t have to pass the TOEFL (I’d need to for Carleton).

However, I have read that NPSIA is way better, that they have better reputation and connection with the government (and you all said it yourself), so now I am stuck.

I didn’t apply yet. After doing the program and seeing what there is out there, is NPSIA that better or at the end it’s the same? Do you have any tips for the letter? My GPA is 8,69 or something like that haha.

Thank you!
Oct 24, 2017
1 posts
Hello,

First of all, I'm not perfectly fluent in English, so I'm sorry for any mistakes. But I'm working on that to be on point. French is my first language. I also intend to pursue my studies at GSPIA UOttawa next year in the master's program. I am passionate about diplomacy, international relations and the like. I want to be part of the coop program, a good opportunity to develop practical skills and professional network. And I think it's a good opportunity to take courses in both french and english.
Thanks,