[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9228 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton

Nuclear Risks at Bed, Bath & Beyond Show Dangers of Scrap

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-1 ... tain.story

Tissue boxes made of recycled metal were found to be radioactive at a show in the US. The discovery of radioactive tissue boxes at Bed, Bath & Beyond Inc. (BBBY) stores in January raised alarms among nuclear security officials and company executives over the growing global threat of contaminated scrap metal.

Some excerpts:
More than 120 shipments of contaminated goods including cutlery, buckles and work tools like hammers and screwdrivers were denied U.S. entry between 2003 and 2008 after customs and the Department of Homeland Security boosted radiation monitoring at borders. The department declined to provide updated figures or comment on how the metal tissue boxes at Bed, Bath & Beyond, tainted with melted cobalt-60 used in medical instruments to diagnose and treat cancer, evaded detection.
more
Chronic exposure to low doses of radiation can lead to cataracts, cancer and birth defects, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. A 2005 study of more than 6,000 Taiwanese who lived in apartments built with radioactive reinforcing steel from 1983 to 2005 showed a statistically significant increase in leukemia and breast cancer.
and
An October 2008 delivery of radioactive elevator buttons assembled by Mafelec, a Chimilin, France-based company that makes control and signaling gear, contained radioactive metal shipped from India. Employees who handled the buttons were exposed to three times the safe dose of radiation for non- nuclear workers, according to regulators at the Autorite de Surete Nucleaire, France’s nuclear energy watchdog. Mafelec said at the time it had cut ties with the Indian supplier.
The nuclear industry portrays itself as a clean and 'green' but this really isn't the case. Since everything sold in out stores today are imported, does our gov't check for radiation contamination? Do the stores check their products? I mean you or me could go to the store and buy some saws and hammers and other metallic stuff (cutlery) and it could be contaminated. I don't want to get unnecessary radiation exposure. I don't think having radioactive cutlery is any good, even kids can get contaiminated too.
Share:
17 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
cheapmeister wrote:
May 5th, 2012 2:15 am
The nuclear industry portrays itself as a clean and 'green' but this really isn't the case.
Cobalt-60 products are generated through the irradiation of Cobalt metal, and are used for medical procedures. Are you suggesting that radiation therapy should be discontinued for cancer patients?

The "nuclear industry" isn't responsible for the medical industry's mis-use of products that are no longer required for their purposes.
Since everything sold in out stores today are imported, does our gov't check for radiation contamination?
Obviously these shipments were detected. And radiation detection gear is in place at most border crossings.

Do the stores check their products? I mean you or me could go to the store and buy some saws and hammers and other metallic stuff (cutlery) and it could be contaminated. I don't want to get unnecessary radiation exposure. I don't think having radioactive cutlery is any good, even kids can get contaiminated too.

Nearly all consumer items, to some extent, contain radioactivity, ie: unstable isotopes.

Your exposure to harmful radiation is likely greater on a single cross-country airplane flight than it is from consumer items imported from China. Gotta keep it in perspective.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2006
2949 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
I guess everything does cause Cancer. Where can I buy one of those watches that detects radiation. I know they exist. I would love to see if random objects around me have high radiation or not.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13018 posts
816 upvotes
007craft wrote:
May 5th, 2012 2:46 am
I guess everything does cause Cancer. Where can I buy one of those watches that detects radiation. I know they exist. I would love to see if random objects around me have high radiation or not.

that dounds cool and actually useful. i guess everything from dolla store should be boycotted. most if not all their stuff is from china.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17210 posts
1483 upvotes
Poormond Hill
You all know that one day you will die for some reason? Right?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2573 posts
123 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
May 5th, 2012 6:04 am
You all know that one day you will die for some reason? Right?

That's a stupid way to look at it but feel free to jump off of a high rise to make your point.
Jesus saves, I spend
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10398 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
007craft wrote:
http://medgadget.com/2005/09/gammawatch_radi.html
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
007craft wrote:

F-that. My watches come with the radiation built in!!

Dec 20, 2006
564 posts
28 upvotes
Nice AUDIDUDE. I have an MSAR...love the watches.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
H3 (tritium) is pretty harmless ;) It's the older stuff (radium) that you really need to watch out for.

As for the OP's comment that the 'nuclear industry portraying it's self green blah blah' - how does this have anything to do with the 'industry'. These sorts of things are causes by people trying to work outside the industry regulations.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8013 posts
1189 upvotes
London
I'm looking forward to the days when all the crap my wife buys from there lights up the room on it's own.
Nov 12, 2011
267 posts
17 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
This reminds me an awful lot of the Japan tsunami misinformation. People are really uninformed or uneducated when it comes to radiation... seems people fear what they don't understand.

Your peanut butter and bananas are radioactive too, guys. Time to crawl into a corner.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17210 posts
1483 upvotes
Poormond Hill
AudiDude wrote:
May 5th, 2012 10:36 am

You need 5 watches in one to tell the time?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
sandikosh wrote:
May 5th, 2012 12:51 pm
You need 5 watches in one to tell the time?

Some of us like being ridiculously accurate. ;)

Besides the Marathon CSAR tells you the time in hours minutes and seconds. It tells you how long the chronograph has been running in hours minutes and seconds. The outer bezel is used to tell you how much air is in your air tanks while diving (up to 1000ft). Stupid thing is missing a tachymeter so I don't know how fast I am flying. Maybe I should get a better watch...

Well I guess if I happen to be flying my airplane that day I'll just wear this:

Now I'm covered for checking my speed while flying my airlplane. It also covers me for spacewalks when I leave my space shuttle sometimes like I like to do. And if I ever go to the moon again, I am GTG for a moon walk.
Banned
Feb 26, 2012
231 posts
6 upvotes
NORTH YORK
AudiDude wrote:
May 5th, 2012 10:36 am

now that is a sexy watch
× < >