Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto

Number of choices in a buffet - Best value

Do you agree that chinese buffet offer the most selections (usually over 100 to 200 kinds) ? I can hardly find any other cuisine have anything close. Pricewise is unbeatable too.

That's why I don't understand that when I was having lunch at Mandarin and saw people going into Swiss Chalet across the street.... $10 in Swiss Chalet gets me a quarter chicken plus a side order, but $10 in Mandarin (or other chinese buffets) get me 100+ choices, of course including different kind of chicken which taste better than Swiss Chalet :lol :) , along with choices of desserts.

For Jap AYCE, it is even better -> All you can order from the menu !
45 replies
Jun 29, 2005
716 posts
8 upvotes
does the mandarin have rotisserie chicken or ribs? Nothing wrong with swiss chalet, it's good stuff!

Although I do love buffets, don't really feel the need to stuff my face all the time! :cheesygri
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest"
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Going to buffet doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself especially you are paying the same price as you are going to other non-buffet. You just simply having more choices, and dessert afterwards.

If you are paying $30 (buffet) vs $10 (non-buffet), then it is a different story.
But for chinese buffet lunch $10 vs any other (non-fast food) lunch $10 (if you are in downtown, it can easily go to $20).
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2219 posts
IMO - China buffet king is the best...for selection and taste
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
You can try Starwalk Buffet on SilverStar as well. Great selection, including all kind of dim sum.

By the way, Buffet King in Richmond Hills is better than the one at Warden and 401.
Jan 16, 2005
567 posts
50 upvotes
Oh, just went:

Imperial Buffet - $15.99 dinners on weekends, AYCE snow crab legs and prime rib. Not too bad. :)
Dufferin & Steeles
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Buffet City dinner buffet has sushi, sashimi, Alaska's crab's legs, Vancouver crabs, and LOBSTER all you can eat for $16.99 !!! It is on Steeles and woodbine, close to that Toyota/Lexus dealer
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
MADster123 wrote:Oh, just went:

Imperial Buffet - $15.99 dinners on weekends, AYCE snow crab legs and prime rib. Not too bad. :)
Dufferin & Steeles
Anyone tried Imperial near Warden/Lawrence (south side opposite to the car dealership)? Any good?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote:Buffet City dinner buffet has sushi, sashimi, Alaska's crab's legs, Vancouver crabs, and LOBSTER all you can eat for $16.99 !!! It is on Steeles and woodbine, close to that Toyota/Lexus dealer
Just my family experience.... this place was given warning from government some what months ago (could have been in 2004). Went there myself 03 X'mas, not much surprised... not exciting at all...
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
3 upvotes
salty
h2o- wrote:Anyone tried Imperial near Warden/Lawrence (south side opposite to the car dealership)? Any good?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2398 posts
16 upvotes
Too bad no all you can eat indian or greek food. i want All You can Eat Tandoori Chicken, Rotis, Samosas, Gyros, Souvlaki :mad:

I would choose mandarin as its about $10.99 without tax for lunch buffet Mon-Thurs. I go to the one in Brampton with the banquet hall.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
kilarney wrote:Too bad no all you can eat indian or greek food. i want All You can Eat Tandoori Chicken, Rotis, Samosas, Gyros, Souvlaki :mad:

I would choose mandarin as its about $10.99 without tax for lunch buffet Mon-Thurs. I go to the one in Brampton with the banquet hall.
there is a all u can eat indian restarant at middlefield and finch
Nov 29, 2003
753 posts
55 upvotes
ch1zo wrote:IMO - China buffet king is the best...for selection and taste
went to the warden/401 location earlier this week for lunch and it was pretty good... way better than starwalk.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
buffet's suck, id much rather have quality then quantity.

Mandarin happens to be one of the worst buffets imo.
Autocorrect sucks
Banned
Jun 15, 2005
882 posts
GangStarr wrote:Mandarin happens to be one of the worst buffets imo.
At least there is someone else with a brain.
Banned
Feb 15, 2004
10735 posts
6 upvotes
kilarney wrote:Too bad no all you can eat indian or greek food. i want All You can Eat Tandoori Chicken, Rotis, Samosas, Gyros, Souvlaki :mad:

We all do, there there.
Try any Indian restaurant with a buffet. Eat to your heart's content dear.

Anyone know of falaffel buffets?
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure about Greek buffet, but there are many Indian Buffets. One on Woodbine, north of Steele (close to Frankie Tomato). It is pretty good, but in general, don't expect too many selections in Indian buffet. I have tried 4 Indian Buffets (3 in Downtown, one in Markham). They usually have 4-6 kinds of curry, a couple kinds of deep fried stuff (like samosa), salad bars, butter chicken (main dish), and the indian breads/wraps, desserts are usually just ice creams and the coconut milk mixture (not sure the name).

I don't have too many experience on Greek food, but from what I had in the past and what I see from the Greek restaurants patio on Danford Greek town, people are usually having caesar salad and different kind of Souvlaki (one pc on per order), or lamb chops. But in general, expect to spend $12 to $20 each on that.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
remmuh wrote:i don't understand people who go to buffet and eat pizza and french fries.
Exactly, I saw people even having steam rice in the buffet :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangStarr
Mandarin happens to be one of the worst buffets imo.

At least there is someone else with a brain.
If they are the worst, how can they have 17 locations just in Ontario [URL=http://]http://www.mandarinbuffet.com/locations.html[/url] . They must have their market. I would say in general are non-chinese. I am not saying Mandarin are the best, but I am sure they have better quality and way better in price than lots of restaurants.

To me, if I am in the east end, I would not go to Mandarin since there are many other choices of chinese/Japanese buffets (if I am looking for buffet type of meal). But when I am in the west end with not much choices, I think Mandarin offers a decent selections and quality.

Anyway this thread is not about Mandarin particularly. It is about the value and selections of a buffet in general.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)