• Aug 16th, 2017 1:39 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3760 posts
508 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Number of faucet holes to cut in countertop

We're in the process of picking out a new countertop. We've already chosen our faucet. It's the Indira, which looks best with single hole installation, but has the plate cover to cover up 2-4 holes.

So what we could do now is cut the 1 hole for the faucet, and 1 hole for the soap dispenser.

However, if we decide to switch to a different faucet in the future, and it needs more holes, we'd need to get more holes cut at that time or be restricted to only 1 hole faucets.

So the question we have is, do we cut just the single hole for now and worry about potentially cutting more holes when we need to later?
Do we cut the standard set of holes (e.g. 3) and use a cover plate or nicer options like individual caps?
21 replies
Jan 7, 2013
18 posts
10 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
I'd just get one hole. I think it looks cleaner.

There are hundreds of faucets that fit the single hole configuration if you ever want to swap faucets. I think a majority of higher end kitchen faucets are one hole only.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1612 posts
167 upvotes
Cover plates and caps don't look that great, especially in a new, modern kitchen. Stick with the single hole.
Dec 27, 2007
957 posts
298 upvotes
Oshawa
I really don't get the point of this question.

Adding another hole in a countertop is no big deal.
May 28, 2017
204 posts
60 upvotes
Why don't you pick out your faucet BEFORE you cut the holes? Holes are never good where water can get in. How about putting the faucet on the vertical backslash, then you don't need any holes?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4111 posts
429 upvotes
Calgary
Don't do the soap dispenser
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Nov 30, 2011
667 posts
156 upvotes
GTA
Cough wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:12 pm
Why? I love the soap dispenser!

Also if your sink is in an island and you want a garburator you will need a hole for the on/off switch (middle button in pic).
Images
  • IMG_20170812_184012.jpg
Jan 19, 2008
733 posts
224 upvotes
Etobicoke
Don't get a soap dispenser...and definitely don't get a garburator.
Temp. Banned
Feb 13, 2017
702 posts
814 upvotes
Cough wrote:
agreed. Looks beyond ugly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3760 posts
508 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Shaidin wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:05 pm
I'd just get one hole. I think it looks cleaner.

There are hundreds of faucets that fit the single hole configuration if you ever want to swap faucets. I think a majority of higher end kitchen faucets are one hole only.
Yeah agree, was just thinking of futureproofing.
abstract808 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:11 pm
Cover plates and caps don't look that great, especially in a new, modern kitchen. Stick with the single hole.
Saw a few faucet covers, they looked ok, but definitely none would be better.
jonnyb wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:47 pm
I really don't get the point of this question.

Adding another hole in a countertop is no big deal.
I guess I was thinking that to get new holes done in the future I'd have to find someone to do it. Not something I'd want to DIY.
COMCRUISE wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:10 pm
Why don't you pick out your faucet BEFORE you cut the holes? Holes are never good where water can get in. How about putting the faucet on the vertical backslash, then you don't need any holes?
We have picked out the faucet. Pfister Indira for the main sink (L countertop), Pfister Clarify for the smaller island sink. Can't have it installed coming from the wall as the wall is exterior.
Cough wrote:
Why not? IMO it looks better than a Dawn bottle.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11388 posts
1016 upvotes
Kanata
Single hole, and I agree, don't do the soap dispenser. Find a nicer looking bottle to put on the counter and not the Dawn bottle.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3760 posts
508 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I guess I'm not really feeling why the soap dispenser that comes with the faucet is a bad thing?

Here's the Indira one:

What would be considered a "nice looking bottle"?

Jul 22, 2015
265 posts
46 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Get the soap dispenser that comes with the faucet! I love mine and it looks waaaaay better than the Dawn bottle! As for the holes,I'd go with one as many of the nicer looking faucets I've seen, only require 1 hole.
Apr 10, 2017
328 posts
79 upvotes
I'm wondering as well why people would skip the soap dispenser cut out.

There's not bottle out there that will replace a sleek built in soap dispenser.
Jan 7, 2013
18 posts
10 upvotes
Whitby Ontario
+1 vote for getting the soap dispenser.