Cell Phones

Number portability? How do I keep my number... just the number (nothing else)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2008 11:47 am
Tags:
None
Jan 8, 2005
688 posts

Number portability? How do I keep my number... just the number (nothing else)

Hi there. I am moving for about a year for an assignment to hong kong. How do I keep my rogers number? I hear I can do that with number portability? Perhaps start a voip service at $2 per month?

I'm clueless. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks a million.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1594 upvotes
you can switch it to prepaid and have a family or friend use it temporarily...

you can buy a $100 from rogers and it will last 365 days.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
55 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: you can switch it to prepaid and have a family or friend use it temporarily...

you can buy a $100 from rogers and it will last 365 days.
I agree. This is likely to be the cheapest option. But i think rogers may charge you some money for the downgrade..so you might wanna transfer your account to say 7-11 (I think they also have a 100$/365 day card).
Aug 16, 2003
51 posts
3 upvotes
Ok, not sure if this will work, but i got the idea thinking about my mom's pre-paid...switch your number over to fido pre-paid. Read carefully about how to transfer number, ie. don't cancel until it is transferred or i think they take care of cancelling your other provider for you after number is transferred. Buy like $10 and use it up before you leave and don't top off. Your number, or in this case the sim card should stay active for up to 6 months. Once you top up another $10 before 6 months is up, your number will be okay for another 6 months. You can either waste the second $10 or use it. I've never tried this, but perhaps it can work.
Jan 8, 2005
688 posts
hmm... I'm considering the 7-11 option.

How much is the rogers emmergency plan?
Jun 18, 2008
6 posts
ruthless29 wrote: hmm... I'm considering the 7-11 option.

How much is the rogers emmergency plan?
Rogers emergency plan is $5 for 40 minutes.

No ablity to:

-add evenings and weekends
-unlimited incoming

The bill comes up to:

$5/40mins
+$6.95
+$0.50

= $14.07/month