• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 3:42 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 22, 2013
55 posts
7 upvotes

Nursing or Policing?

Hey all, I'm 27 years old and recently became a registered nurse. Aside from my BSc in Nursing, I also have a BSc in Biology. The thing is, as much as I enjoy nursing and the immense gratitude shown by patients and their families, I find myself fascinated by a career in law enforcement. I have been thinking about switching professions, but all of my friends think I'm crazy for doing so having invested so much time and money into the health sciences. Salary wise, there doesn't appear to be a 'significant' difference. And If I did end up pursuing policing, I'd want to preferably work in forensics or maybe even community outreach. If I stay in nursing, I would eventually want to move into an administrative position as I find bed-side nursing very exhausting and stressful. Do you think this is a wise decision?
30 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2228 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
Its extreme hard to get into policing unless you know a few police officers, have the skills they are looking for, worked with trouble youth and can check off the diversity quota boxes.

As a nurse, I am assuming that you are male, you do have some of the skills and strength that the force is looking for learned from nursing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7865 posts
4826 upvotes
Just apply and see.. you always have nursing in your back pocket in case policing isn't for you...
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
Nursing gives you so many opportunities policing won’t.
Banned
Sep 8, 2017
30 posts
8 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 8:42 pm
Its extreme hard to get into policing unless you know a few police officers, have the skills they are looking for, worked with trouble youth and can check off the diversity quota boxes.

As a nurse, I am assuming that you are male, you do have some of the skills and strength that the force is looking for learned from nursing.
It's not that hard..I know a couple of friends who are cops and they just applied and were accepted..didn't know anybody who were cops before they joined

It's easier to get into the opp supposedly
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1751 posts
1042 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Go for it. You have the education that would put you towards the top of a preferred list, depending on the force. There is however, only one force in Canada that has specific requirements for such degrees, that being the R.C.M.P. I do not know what happens in P.Q. and in Ontario it is the Centre for Forensic Sciences, strictly civilian no ties to the O.P.P. or any other force.

With the R.C.M.P. you would be a civilian member, however there are some regular members that have the qualifications and have chosen to go work in the labs, however majority are civilians hired directly from the "streets".

Following is the link to the qualifications required:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/fsis-ssji/car ... ni-eng.htm
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Jul 22, 2013
55 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks everyone, I'll apply and go from there!
Aug 15, 2017
60 posts
14 upvotes
I can't understand why someone said getting into the police force is difficult? It isn't.

Have you thought about working for intelligence? Speaking another language fluently, however, is a must.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8698 posts
1547 upvotes
Edmonton
raichu1 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 8:42 pm

Where is it hard to become a police officer????
[OP]
Jul 22, 2013
55 posts
7 upvotes
TheSpandexSuplex wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 4:58 pm
I can't understand why someone said getting into the police force is difficult? It isn't.

Have you thought about working for intelligence? Speaking another language fluently, however, is a must.
I looked into it a while ago, and I noticed that CSIS only hires people with computer science backgrounds. Has this changed recently?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2228 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
clseea wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 5:49 pm
Where is it hard to become a police officer????
Many apply, few are chosen.
Banned
Sep 8, 2017
30 posts
8 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 7:24 pm
Doesn't mean it's hard...lots of unqualified applicants just like any other job
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8698 posts
1547 upvotes
Edmonton
raichu1 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 7:24 pm
Ohhhhh that makes it clearer
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2228 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
FredPerry wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 8:37 pm
Doesn't mean it's hard...lots of unqualified applicants just like any other job
The req are low compare to other jobs but with the flood of apps they can be extremely picky.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2228 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
clseea wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 9:00 pm
Ohhhhh that makes it clearer
esp big cities.