Nursing or Teaching Career

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 10:59 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
8 posts
5 upvotes

Nursing or Teaching Career

I am currently applying for university enrollment and deciding whether to go for nursing or teaching career.

If I go into nursing, I would like to become a registered nurse (RN).
If I go into teaching, I like to teach math, so maybe a high school teacher. I have talked to a relative, she is currently a teacher at a private high school. But I heard getting into a city school board is harder than being employed by private school.

In terms of career prospect, does a nurse or teacher make more salary? How about the benefits?
Teachers I think get summer off, but nurses have to work long 12 hour shifts.

Which career would you choose?
39 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1512 posts
475 upvotes
I know a lot of teachers and all of them seemed burnt out. As far as I know it is still really hard to get a job although in BC they seem to be dying for teachers.
Alex
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8469 posts
960 upvotes
sherman51 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:38 am
I know a lot of teachers and all of them seemed burnt out. As far as I know it is still really hard to get a job although in BC they seem to be dying for teachers.
West coast provinces all dying for teachers.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5252 posts
1069 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You can always teach overseas and very lucrative as well. Not sure about nursing but you prob get the worst hours for a while if you can land a job.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2317 posts
610 upvotes
Woodbridge
Ontario is going to need teachers soon. The demographics of current teachers, as well as the 2-year BEd program, are contributing to that prediction. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/o ... -1.4803517

What do you want to get out of your career? If your only criteria are salary, benefits, and time spent at work then you might have a hard time in either career. As was mentioned above, teaching is a far more demanding profession than people assume. I spend a good 2-3 hours outside of the school day every day and anywhere from 4-20 hours on the weekends for planning, marking, parent communication etc. Many teachers take work home with them over winter break and March break and much of August is used to prepare for September. It's an incredibly rewarding career and I couldn't think of doing anything else, but you need to have the right mindset and passion for it to do it well. I would imagine nursing is like that too. You work with lots of people all the time and you always need to find a way to give them 100% even if you're having a particularly bad day or have stuff on your mind.
May 24, 2012
141 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, here is a screenshot of the TDSB teacher salary grid. I think it's the same salaries for elementary and high school.
Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.27.54 AM.png
May 28, 2012
10143 posts
2311 upvotes
Saskatoon
Depends on your aptitude and priorities. Nursing is a more difficult program and will be harder to get into. It pays much better than teaching and gets a lot more respect from the general public.
Dec 20, 2018
922 posts
793 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:39 am
Depends on your aptitude and priorities. Nursing is a more difficult program and will be harder to get into. It pays much better than teaching and gets a lot more respect from the general public.
In Ontario it's harder to get into teaching and takes 2 years longer to complete than nursing (4yrs vs 6yrs)

Salary is higher for teaching in Ontario ( at least in first 10yrs) but harder to get a job as teacher vs nursing

https://www.ona.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... 80731f.pdf

https://ett.ca/salary-grid-for-tdsb-ele ... -teachers/
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4054 posts
881 upvotes
Sask.
These are wholly different disciplines, the choice would more depend upon your strengths, personality, etc.
I was a teacher, could not imagine for a minute being a nurse. Two of my sisters who are nurses, think we other three siblings who are teachers are crazy.

I once went to see one of my sisters at work in ICU. I was overwhelmed at all she had to know and do, and told her. She said she could never do the work I do, that she would be terrified in a room of 30 grade three kids.

Don't let money be your guide. Both teaching and nursing are vocations, not just jobs.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
8 posts
5 upvotes
yay i finally got into ryerson nursing program starting in sept. i am super excited
Jan 8, 2010
130 posts
46 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:10 pm
In Ontario it's harder to get into teaching and takes 2 years longer to complete than nursing (4yrs vs 6yrs)

Salary is higher for teaching in Ontario ( at least in first 10yrs) but harder to get a job as teacher vs nursing

https://www.ona.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... 80731f.pdf

https://ett.ca/salary-grid-for-tdsb-ele ... -teachers/
Getting into teacher's college in Ontario is an absolute joke. I went to undergrad with mediocre students who are teachers now, and I shudder to think of them teaching my kids in the future. Nursing is a difficult degree, and it's competitive to the point that you need a 90%+ average in hard and math and science courses to get into most schools in Ontario. If you want to become a nurse anesthetist, you need to pursue further education as well and easily make over six figures.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4002 posts
219 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
You can still become a Nurse and then teach after gaining some experience!
because ur mom said so
May 29, 2017
64 posts
21 upvotes
Both promising careers. Nurses seem a lot happier.
Dec 20, 2018
922 posts
793 upvotes
Brown Thug wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 11:15 am
Getting into teacher's college in Ontario is an absolute joke. I went to undergrad with mediocre students who are teachers now, and I shudder to think of them teaching my kids in the future. Nursing is a difficult degree, and it's competitive to the point that you need a 90%+ average in hard and math and science courses to get into most schools in Ontario. If you want to become a nurse anesthetist, you need to pursue further education as well and easily make over six figures.
Nursing is not difficult degree , it's harder to get into teachers college since you enter nursing direct from HS unlike teachers college with requires a undergrad degree (and decent gpa first) and you don't want to know who gets to become nurses

Those"mediocre" undergrad students who you say got into teachers college would've needed 3.3+ gpa, nursing? Just need to pass lol

Also hiring for nurses is a lot more lax than teachers simply due to many teachers and few jobs whereas nurses have lot more demand (although it's mostly PT status with FT or more hours )

Source : wife is a RN