• Nov 9th, 2018 9:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
1927 posts
908 upvotes
Parksville, BC

NVidia Shield - Pro or no Pro

Considering purchasing an nvidia shield for a Xmas present. Recipient already has an XBox One S and a PC (in another room) with a 10 series nvidia GPU. Question is, do I go for the Pro model or the non Pro? Controller or use an XBox controller?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1087 posts
528 upvotes
Ottawa
I would go for non pro with external HDD
My main reason was because 500GB isn't enough and I wanted to root it (which is very easy) but it would take 3h to reset the pro vs few minutes for the non pro

I didn't test it with the xbox controller, will the recipient use it for gaming?
May 30, 2013
257 posts
139 upvotes
Markham
The Pro and Non-Pro have the same spec, only the storage is different, you can put external HD or SSD to the non-Pro version.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1788 posts
63 upvotes
not jacking thread ..... I really want one yes I have 4k TV and 40-60gb 4k files
is there new version coming in 2019?
wait or buy now?
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1087 posts
528 upvotes
Ottawa
chinese zzz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 2:42 pm
not jacking thread ..... I really want one yes I have 4k TV and 40-60gb 4k files
wait or buy now?
No one knows when is Nvidia planning to release their next Shield. They didn't announce any new CPU though and Xavier seems to be targeted mostly for autonomous machines instead of a set top box. So, it looks unlikely they'll release a new Shield based on a different CPU.

They could release a refreshed one though. Some changes they could implement are add a USB C alongside the USB 3, bigger internal storage, bring back the SD card support and upgrade the wifi to MIMO (if it isn't the case right now).

If the price is good during black Friday
Oct 17, 2002
634 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
my only complaint with the current shield is the remote. Make it rechargeable!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
1927 posts
908 upvotes
Parksville, BC
NoCountry4RFDer wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:21 pm
I would go for non pro with external HDD
My main reason was because 500GB isn't enough and I wanted to root it (which is very easy) but it would take 3h to reset the pro vs few minutes for the non pro

I didn't test it with the xbox controller, will the recipient use it for gaming?
Yes. Gaming (Gamestream and Geforce Now) and 4K Netflix.
chanc2 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:18 pm
The Pro and Non-Pro have the same spec, only the storage is different, you can put external HD or SSD to the non-Pro version.
Different remote, SD card slot, IR control. Still not sure if its worth the extra pony, though.
chinese zzz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 2:42 pm
wait or buy now?
Yes. I'm debating now too. Might just wait for Shield 2.0 next year and give him my old Marantz receiver to play with instead.
NoCountry4RFDer wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 8:17 am
No one knows when is Nvidia planning to release their next Shield. They didn't announce any new CPU though and Xavier seems to be targeted mostly for autonomous machines instead of a set top box. So, it looks unlikely they'll release a new Shield based on a different CPU.

They could release a refreshed one though. Some changes they could implement are add a USB C alongside the USB 3, bigger internal storage, bring back the SD card support and upgrade the wifi to MIMO (if it isn't the case right now).

If the price is good during black Friday
Still very much unkown then... hmm...
KennyX wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 12:30 pm
my only complaint with the current shield is the remote. Make it rechargeable!!!
The Pro one is but there are complaints that it doesn't last long and needs constant recharging.