Computers & Electronics

Is Nvidia shield really the best media box?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 11:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2923 posts
459 upvotes
GTA

Is Nvidia shield really the best media box?

I've been tempted to buy one for a couple weeks but the price kinda turns me off everytime I'm thinking of buying it. I've owned a couple android boxes, even the first gen shield (it arrived broken so I didn't use it). But is the shield worth it when comparing to android boxes. I know the big difference is that you can stream games, even AAA titles work now without a hitch but is there any other features that are above and beyond the chinese android boxes?
44 replies
Feb 26, 2004
45 posts
8 upvotes
If you don't care about streaming games from your nvidia gaming PC, and as long as the box runs nougat (or at least newish version of android) and has a decent processor and amount of memory, then no, the shield offers no real other value.

The shield is super tiny, comes with two remotes (one of which is an xbox style gaming controller), has great cpu power and memory, and both remotes support voice commands - those are it's main selling points.
Jul 1, 2009
263 posts
71 upvotes
Victoriaville
Also some Android apps need an authorized Android TV box to work in FullHD or 4k (ie Netflix, hulu, etc.). Aside from the Shield, the Mi box will have that ability at a significantly lower price (around 130 $).

If you play your own media, this does not offer any advantage, but if you subscribe to any service, it's an added advantage.
Nov 26, 2003
502 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
jarko wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:58 pm
I've been tempted to buy one for a couple weeks but the price kinda turns me off everytime I'm thinking of buying it. I've owned a couple android boxes, even the first gen shield (it arrived broken so I didn't use it). But is the shield worth it when comparing to android boxes. I know the big difference is that you can stream games, even AAA titles work now without a hitch but is there any other features that are above and beyond the chinese android boxes?
Those "Android boxes" you've used, are they boxes with Android TV? Because a lot of people don't know the difference between "Android Boxes" and "Android TV", they are TOTALLY different things.

If you've answered no to the above, then I can assure you that after you've experienced Android TV, you'll never go back to those generic boxes again.

Now in regards to the Nvidia Shield, it's pretty much the best Android TV box out there. If you don't need the AAA games or game streaming, you can take a look at the Xiaomi Mi box that runs Android TV, that's your best alternative to the Shield that doesn't break the bank.
Last edited by eternity525 on Mar 17th, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17953 posts
3050 upvotes
Thornhill
The Shield is basically a tablet/chromebook powered Android Box. The Tegra X1 is overkill, but this means possible long term support (originally released 2015, its gotten major updates every few months) especially since the 2017 Shield TV uses the same X1. It's a combo of various boxes in one, a Steam Link, a Chromecast Ultra and Android TV box (Nexus Player, Mi Box), in one package, with a lot of power, but with consistent support from the manufacturer, in this case, Nvidia.

The only real downside is the price, and the Android TV app 'cage', though it can be sideloaded.

You definitely get what you pay for here.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14000 posts
3274 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Get the shield for your main tv. For all others get something cheaper.

Its the most polished android tv device by far.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5085 posts
576 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 4:53 pm
Get the shield for your main tv. For all others get something cheaper.

Its the most polished android tv device by far.
What version of Android is it running?
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14000 posts
3274 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Gutty96 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 5:46 pm
What version of Android is it running?
Nougat
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5085 posts
576 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 6:31 pm
Nougat
That is good. The one thing setting the MI Box back a little (and I mean a little) is the fact it hasn't updated yet. Both my Nexus players did months ago, and despite lesser hardware, I can still barely tell the difference in real word performance.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15337 posts
1650 upvotes
Montreal
I went from a minix to a shield. This thing is rock solid, and never crashes. The software is top notch. The controller fluid and seamless. I bought a second one for the basement. I'm not going back to Chinese hack job boxes.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1916 posts
108 upvotes
I sold my NUC for a Shield. The fact I plugged it in and my wife figured it all out without asking me a single question was the biggest plus I could of gotten. She loves it. She uses the YouTube and Vevo apps to play songs for the kids with the speech connection. It's silly fast and smooth and plays a ton of stuff through it. I love casting the hockey games to it when one starts etc. It has to one of, or the best media box out there.
Penalty Box
Oct 24, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes
Shield also has Google home built-in, with their own version of 'dots' on the way (I love my echo dots)... It's the best, real android tv, 4k Netflix, 4k amazon video... IT Is the most expensive, but the best should be! I put off buying one for a long time, now that I have it I feel kinda dumb for waiting so long. It's so smooth and fast, I can't say enough about it. I have a mi box upstairs and it's pretty good, amazon video will not work on it, kodi and Netflix run well, but not as fast as the shield!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2923 posts
459 upvotes
GTA
eternity525 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:22 pm
Those "Android boxes" you've used, are they boxes with Android TV? Because a lot of people don't know the difference between "Android Boxes" and "Android TV", they are TOTALLY different things.

If you've answered no to the above, then I can assure you that after you've experienced Android TV, you'll never go back to those generic boxes again.

Now in regards to the Nvidia Shield, it's pretty much the best Android TV box out there. If you don't need the AAA games or game streaming, you can take a look at the Xiaomi Mi box that runs Android TV, that's your best alternative to the Shield that doesn't break the bank.
media player box with kodi etc. I don't know, the mi box just seems like a slightly better version than the cheap android boxes. Surprised they haven't updated the thing, I'm guessing nvidia updates their software frequently?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2923 posts
459 upvotes
GTA
cyphon21 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:57 pm
I sold my NUC for a Shield. The fact I plugged it in and my wife figured it all out without asking me a single question was the biggest plus I could of gotten. She loves it. She uses the YouTube and Vevo apps to play songs for the kids with the speech connection. It's silly fast and smooth and plays a ton of stuff through it. I love casting the hockey games to it when one starts etc. It has to one of, or the best media box out there.
What do you mean by casting the hockey games? Like streams from reddit?
coriolis wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:53 pm
The Shield is basically a tablet/chromebook powered Android Box. The Tegra X1 is overkill, but this means possible long term support (originally released 2015, its gotten major updates every few months) especially since the 2017 Shield TV uses the same X1. It's a combo of various boxes in one, a Steam Link, a Chromecast Ultra and Android TV box (Nexus Player, Mi Box), in one package, with a lot of power, but with consistent support from the manufacturer, in this case, Nvidia.

The only real downside is the price, and the Android TV app 'cage', though it can be sideloaded.

You definitely get what you pay for here.
I read online that the new 2017 pro version will have an upgraded chip when it comes out in a couple months, probably to entice people from the 16gb, also I noticed they removed the microsd slot this year which is a shame but what I don't like is that they are removing features from the 16gb and adding to the 500gb to sell more instead of upgrading or adding something new to the 500gb version.